Bosses who chew your a*s out

daisy

Just wanted to vent my feelings - no need to respond. I have been travelling a 150 mile round trip daily this week to get going on a side-line project which hopefully will get funding for me to continue in my present line of research. My boss thinks I should be "pushy" with the people in lab I'm visiting but I think that they are doing us the favour and being too pushy could be counter-productive. They are the experts in this technique and I'm being allowed to visit and do some work. Granted, my boss claims that they agreed to help out etc. ages ago but they really have no obligation to do so and I think I have to go at their pace. I basically got carpeted by my boss (who was in a bad mood because he has to put a grant report in) for not "driving things forward" quickly enough. I was very angry and walked out of his office before I said something rude and he back-pedalled a bit later in the day. I just feel that I wasn't employed to do this work in the first place and I could easily have told him I wasn't interested, but he has a grant report to submit and I think that he just want's to be able to say "hey look at these results we've got". I spent 17 months in a job where I was made miserable by two b*****s and I don't want to repeat that experience. I should point out that my boss is an emeritus professor who has probably fallen out with more people than you could shake a stick at but he does know his science.

• 3 months later...

i think that the more intelligence that a person has while in a position of power, the less patience they have for incompetence, insubordination and all that other stuff. i think that bosses are bosses for a reason. sure, you have your dumb-ass bosses that don't know what they are doind then you have those bosses that are bosses for a reason. i have to deal with one of those assholes on a daily basis. this guy is a lawyer, teaches physics, and is a retired captain for the LAPD. he probably could have been a good canidate for chief if he wasn't white. this guy has zero tolerance for bullshit. i know that in your situation it's a little different but from what i have seen, you can't too wrong by doing what the boss says. i'm a manager for my department and i know that i can get pretty demanding at times. that's only because i know the bigger picture where as to the subordinate doesn't always know. when they try to rationalize with the info that they have it really drives the boss insane because they don't have the patience for a debate. i VP in my department is notorious for this kind of behaviour.

eh...prove the point with less powerful language sepy, rock?

anyhow, employees are employed to do their jobs, and if their job is to get results, then they will do so. Since the boss is nice in his little office, maybe even with a window, he doesn't have field experience with whatever the employee is doing, and thus will not know the state of mind of the other people. If daisy were to get pushy and the people refuse or start doing things poorly, that comes down on her, not the boss;)

I hate higher ups who do nothing but think:-p

Daisy,

No matter how your current "Boss" is with you or anyone else in your life that treats you this way, the fact that YOU recognise that it`s WRONG! and hurts folks, will ALWAYS make YOU the better person!

the day they can rob you of that, is the day they win!

Hang in there girl! :)

I know what you mean. Me and my dad make a 180 mile round trip to oxford from birmingham every day, and it's not exactly a pleasant experience on the roads. To have your boss be a complete git towards you after that kind of mileage is not a nice experience.

Sepalltullica (or whatever your name is)...I'm not incompetent..I do make mistakes I admit as everyone does (show me the person who never made a mistake and I'll show you the person who never made anything) but I refuse to walk into another group leaders lab and demand things. NOT the way to win friends and influence people. And as for all you other lovely boys......thank you for the kind words....and nice you missed me Dudde.