Donald Trump

dimreepr

I agree. That was basically my point. That finding middle ground (compromise) with Republicans isn't currently possible because they have to true north. There doesn't seem to be a collective or single majority voice anymore.

Regardless of how they arrived at their position, though, their inaction and contrariness leaves them with a default position of opposing immigration, a path to citizenship, and against reforming the system. They want tougher borders. Trump has just gone to 11 on that last one, as he is wont to do.

This is actually something I think should be addressed seriously by the public. At what point are you committing treason as an elected representative by swearing an Oath of Office, where you commit to serving in a good faith capacity, but behave the way you describe above? Does our Constitution not compel our representatives to defend it against all enemies, abroad and especially at home? The idea of blocking any legislation the opposing party favors (even when it's a bill you drafted) can't be defended in terms of this obligation to the Constitution, not in any way I've heard.

So it doesn't please me at all to see Trump blur the lines even further. He already gets away with casual suggestions of beatings, sabotage, even assassinations, and no charges are brought. He gets away with calling prisoners of war, past presidents, and past presidential candidates LOSERS, and his numbers go up. If Trumps style of oratory infects our Congress further, will anything get done? As bad as it is, do the People really think it can't get worse?

One thing that has continually disappointed me in the last 8 years is the disrespect shown toward the office. You don't have to agree with the president, you don't have to like him. But they have shown a level of contempt that would have been called out as treasonous if directed toward Bush. This is beyond the standard misrepresentations of the opponent in office. After 9/11, there was a rallying cry to get behind the president for the good of the country. (After the fact, when it was established that we were misled into war, the people have said they regret their decision. They get attacked for it.) The war on terror is still ongoing, but the GOP is not heeding that same rallying cry. Joe Wilson yells "You lie!" during a State of the Union. Numerous prominent republicans saying that Obama doesn't love America, and/or is trying to destroy it. McConnell saying the republicans' top priority is denying Obama a second term, rather than governing. And, of course, there's the birther movement, led for years by Trump and not denied or denounced by many others, especially the others running for the nomination.

Regardless of how they arrived at their position, though, their inaction and contrariness leaves them with a default position of opposing immigration, a path to citizenship, and against reforming the system. They want tougher borders. Trump has just gone to 11 on that last one, as he is wont to do.

Can we back up some? My comment was context to finding compromise and how we define moderates. My point was that there are no middle of the road positions for compromise with the current Republican party. What in center of the road for McCain, Graham, Mcconnell, Ryan, and etc is not what's center of the road for Trump. I believe that applies to immigration. Now, if you are saying that a plurality of conservatives agree with Trump's immigration views I can concede that.

Can we back up some? My comment was context to finding compromise and how we define moderates. My point was that there are no middle of the road positions for compromise with the current Republican party. What in center of the road for McCain, Graham, Mcconnell, Ryan, and etc is not what's center of the road for Trump. I believe that applies to immigration. Now, if you are saying that a plurality of conservatives agree with Trump's immigration views I can concede that.

Why don't we back up to where you asked what GOP positions Trump holds. That's what I was answering.

Why don't we back up to where you asked what GOP positions Trump holds. That's what I was answering.

I did ask that but if you read the whole post it was in context to Democrats being able to common ground with Republicans. Trump is at odds with many in the Republican party so I think the example holds, in context.

What exactly does it mean to "Make America great again"? When was America as great as Trump wants to make it "again"? That would be at the end of WWII, right? Trump would agree that the soldiers of WWII were the "greatest generation". Make America like the late 1940s again?!

"In 'The Greatest Generation,' Tom Brokaw argues that the World War II generation's perseverance through difficult times is a testament to their extraordinary character...."

http://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/generation-gaps/greatest-generation1.htm

"Narcissistic personality disorder affects an estimated 1% of the general population.[10][11] Although most individuals have some narcissistic traits, high levels of narcissism can manifest themselves in a pathological form as narcissistic personality disorder (NPD), whereby the patient overestimates his or her abilities and has an excessive need for admiration and affirmation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissism

Trump's narcissism looks pathological. Someone with such a high level of narcissism as Trump may be so out of touch with reality that in a rage they could wish to destroy the entire world because other people are not important. Even so-called loved ones and family are only toys for the use of a pathological narcissist. So like Hitler in his bunker ready to kill himself it meant nothing to him to issue his "Nero decree" that Germany should totally self destruct.

Edited by Airbrush

On Saturday Trump said:

"I don't even think she's loyal to Bill, if you want to know the truth. And really folks, really, why should she be?" Trump said, apparently calling into question Clinton's marital fidelity to her husband in his most direct terms yet.

Here is an example of his NPD, narcissistic personality disorder, he "thinks" Hillary is not loyal to Bill. Then he tells his audience that what he THINKS is the truth. If you want to know the TRUTH, just listen to what Trump THINKS without any factual support?

Then he states "And really folks, really, why should she be [loyal to Bill]?" This shows how he thinks and assumes that if any husband has affairs then the wife SHOULD NOT be loyal, without knowing ANY personal details. He hasn't considered that maybe Hillary is not like Trump, that her marriage was important enough to her to work through marital problems without divorcing. And this is all based on his speculation. What a shame if he became president and applies this kind of baseless logic with other countries, making assumptions based on what he THINKS. He knows more about ISIS than the generals (who have been fighting ISIS for years), or the gold-star mom said nothing because Muslim women are not allowed to speak, because that is what he THINKS and assumes in his fantasy world. That is what happens to someone who is surrounded by only yes-men, yes-women, yes-wives, and yes-children. They grow delusional. How often can someone say "Believe me!" before it begins to sound like "Please believe me because this is my best guess and not based on any facts!"?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/01/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-health/index.html

Edited by Airbrush

Sadly Airbrush, your observations are 100% accurate.

Some comparisons have been made between Trump and Hitler. I speak no German, but when I watch film of Hitler delivering one of his thunderous addresses to tens of thousands I have an almost uncontrollable urge to invade Russia. When I watch Trump I just want to vomit.

Sadly Airbrush, your observations are 100% accurate.

Some comparisons have been made between Trump and Hitler. I speak no German, but when I watch film of Hitler delivering one of his thunderous addresses to tens of thousands I have an almost uncontrollable urge to invade Russia. When I watch Trump I just want to vomit.

Hitler spent hours meticulously rehearsing every word and gesture in his speeches with an eye towards making them look spontaneous.

Trump actually does seem to do most of hid speaking off the cuff and appears to think preparation is for losers.

This is one of the few areas that I am actually glad that Trump isn't like Hitler.

Who else do you know of in history would say something like "I know more than the generals"? I can think of Hitler and Stalin who both purged their generals to replace them with people more LOYAL to them. Trumpf is a dictator in training.

Someone should keep track of how often, in relation to what he says, he uses the phrase "Believe me!" or "OK?"

Notice how often he states something and then follows up by saying a rhetorical "OK?" He is asking if what he said is ok, "may I be so bold as to say?" but in reality he is asking HIMSELF if it is ok then he approves HIMSELF. Nobody seems to call that out that I know of, do you? What about his "wise guy" mannerisms? He often sounds like he wants to appear like a slick mobster. He watched Good Fellas too many times and thinks De Nero sounded and acted cool with nice hand gestures.

Clinton should go down the list of attributes for someone with NPD (narcissistic personality disorder) and point out the number of times he exhibits each of those applicable attributes. He was spoiled by his mom and nannies, who were afraid of his dad, so he became a naughty boy. His dad sent him to military academy for high school to learn discipline and where he excelled. Then he got a loan from his dad for $14 million (probably about $50 million in today's dollars) then nothing could stop him. He could hire all the lawyers and yes-people, and marry all the yes-wives he liked, and that is how he become totally insulated from reality at a young age.

The question is under what circumstances could Trump assume dictatorial powers? If several major US cities were destroyed by nuclear bombs, then we would have martial law and who knows what Trump could do as president?

Edited by Airbrush

Who else do you know of in history would say something like "I know more than the generals"? I can think of Hitler and Stalin who both purged their generals to replace them with people more LOYAL to them. Trumpf is a dictator in training.

Someone should keep track of how often, in relation to what he says, he uses the phrase "Believe me!" or "OK?"

Notice how often he states something and then follows up by saying a rhetorical "OK?" He is asking if what he said is ok, "may I be so bold as to say?" but in reality he is asking HIMSELF if it is ok then he approves HIMSELF. Nobody seems to call that out that I know of, do you? What about his "wise guy" mannerisms? He often sounds like he wants to appear like a slick mobster. He watched Good Fellas too many times and thinks De Nero sounded and acted cool with nice hand gestures.

Clinton should go down the list of attributes for someone with NPD (narcissistic personality disorder) and point out the number of times he exhibits each of those applicable attributes. He was spoiled by his mom and nannies, who were afraid of his dad, so he became a naughty boy. His dad sent him to military academy for high school to learn discipline and where he excelled. Then he got a loan from his dad for $14 million (probably about $50 million in today's dollars) then nothing could stop him. He could hire all the lawyers and yes-people, and marry all the yes-wives he liked, and that is how he become totally insulated from reality at a young age.

The question is under what circumstances could Trump assume dictatorial powers? If several major US cities were destroyed by nuclear bombs, then we would have martial law and who knows what Trump could do as president?

While I agree that Trump is fear monger who touts racist stereotypes to support his own segmented version of nationalism I don't think Hilter comparisons are in order. Hilter did it from a position of power. Trump has no power. Trump has never held any official position in gov't and I do not believe he ever will. He is less influential George Wallace in that way. I think history books will treat Trump as the result of a fractured Republican party following the first Black president.

The media keeps talking about of unque this election is and pointing to Trump. What is unique about this election is that we are about to elect the first female president in our history. That is what history will remember. Trump will just be footnoted as the opponent that lost to her.

While I agree that Trump is fear monger who touts racist stereotypes to support his own segmented version of nationalism I don't think Hilter comparisons are in order. Hilter did it from a position of power. Trump has no power. Trump has never held any official position in gov't and I do not believe he ever will.

There was a time when Adolph had no power, too. The question is how did he gain that power?

On Saturday Trump said:

"I don't even think she's loyal to Bill, if you want to know the truth. And really folks, really, why should she be?" Trump said, apparently calling into question Clinton's marital fidelity to her husband in his most direct terms yet.

Giuliani's recent comments in support of Trump are appalling as well.

"Don’t you think a man who has this kind of economic genius is a lot better for the United States than a woman?"

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/298899-giuliani-isnt-a-man-with-this-kind-of-economic-genius

and on the subject of fidelity

Todd responded, "You have your own infidelity charge."

"Well, everybody does," Giuliani said.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/02/politics/rudy-giuliani-infidelity-everybody-does/index.html

I can't even.

While I agree that Trump is fear monger who touts racist stereotypes to support his own segmented version of nationalism I don't think Hilter comparisons are in order. Hilter did it from a position of power. Trump has no power. Trump has never held any official position in gov't .....

Trump has no power? Look what he did in the primaries. He put his competition away by being obnoxious. He is king of all media because he figures out how to be in the news constantly by being outrageous, he sees himself as the noble rebel fighting the evil Obama dynasty. He has the power of wealth that his followers hope will rub off on them. I agree with you that it looks very bad for Trump now, but in the next few weeks Wikileaks may release something to ruin Hillary's chances, or she may shoot herself in the foot again. Then we can try to get used to president Trump because surely he will figure out how to be in our faces constantly in the news, about anything and everything he wants, for the next 4 years, creating unwarranted crises.

He believes he is special. He is thin-skinned with fragile self-esteem, see how he cannot stop twittering about stupid things like how fat Rosie O'Donnell is. He fantasizes about success in diverse industries. He believes others are jealous of him. He publically states that "everybody" agrees with him about many things, when they don't. He takes advantage of others. He sets unrealistic goals, that is why many of his business ventures failed. Apparently he was reckless (or devious) in 1995 and lost nearly one billion dollars. He does not recognize other people's emotions, look at his treatment of his contractors, women, Muslims, Mexicans, beauty contestants, John McCain, etc. His employees must all sign nondisclosure agreements. He is beyond lying, he creates entire fictitious scenarios, and then claims he never said what he just said. He is as Fareed said "A Bullsh!t Artist, a huckster who made lying into an art form. What else am I missing?

Edited by Airbrush

Remember all the flack H. Clinton took when she called a selection of voters 'a basket of...' ?

Well D. Trump has possibly NOT paid taxes over the last 18 yrs, and his excuse is because he's 'smart'.

( actually genius according to R. Giuliani )

He's implying that all the voters who do pay taxes are, therefore 'stupid'.

You couldn't make up the stuff of this election !

Trump has no power? Look what he did in the primaries. He put his competition away by being obnoxious. He is king of all media because he figures out how to be in the news constantly by being outrageous, he sees himself as the noble rebel fighting the evil Obama dynasty. He has the power of wealth that his followers hope will rub off on them. I agree with you that it looks very bad for Trump now, but in the next few weeks Wikileaks may release something to ruin Hillary's chances, or she may shoot herself in the foot again. Then we can try to get used to president Trump because surely he will figure out how to be in our faces constantly in the news, about anything and everything he wants, for the next 4 years, creating unwarranted crises.

He believes he is special. He is thin-skinned with fragile self-esteem, see how he cannot stop twittering about stupid things like how fat Rosie O'Donnell is. He fantasizes about success in diverse industries. He believes others are jealous of him. He publically states that "everybody" agrees with him about many things, when they don't. He takes advantage of others. He sets unrealistic goals, that is why many of his business ventures failed. Apparently he was reckless (or devious) in 1995 and lost nearly one billion dollars. He does not recognize other people's emotions, look at his treatment of his contractors, women, Muslims, Mexicans, beauty contestants, John McCain, etc. His employees must all sign nondisclosure agreements. He is beyond lying, he creates entire fictitious scenarios, and then claims he never said what he just said. He is as Fareed said "A Bullsh!t Artist, a huckster who made lying into an art form. What else am I missing?

Hilter attempted to take the gov't by force in a failed coup was imprisoned and then was able to rise to power several years later during an economic collaspe that left gov't in Germany vulnerable. Hilter had thousands in opposition parties arrested and imprisoned without trail. Hilter was not merely a good speaker who rose to power on media coverage. The country was already factured and different parties were battling for power and Hilter made multiple attempts prior to being successful.

Trump is a terrible person. I am not defending Trump. I just don't think direct comparisons to Hilter aren't in order. Trump is more similar George Wallace in my opinion. Wallace changed the parties. His racist states rights positions set up the exodus of southern whites from the democratic party and help create todays version of the Republican party. Trump (and the Tea Party) are creating a exodus of educated whites from the republican party.

Edited by Ten oz

The cable news channels did not yet catch this gaff by Trump to my knowledge. He claims to be so brilliant at using the tax code that he better than anyone understands the tax codes and knows how to fix it. That is pants on fire! All he knows about the huge and complex tax laws is what his tax attorneys and accountants explained to him about his OWN unique tax situation, that applies to real estate dealings, which is a TINY SLICE of the huge tax code . Maybe he can figure out, with help from his army of attorneys and accountants, how to close the loopholes that favor real estate developers who take risks. But that is about all a lazy person like Trump would be willing to trouble himself with.

Edited by Airbrush

His proposed changes to the tax code make business dealings like his subject to less tax. The loophole he has proposed closing applies to hedge funds, and he would likely be unaffected by that. He has his own interests front-and-center, as usual.

"For mental-health professionals, Donald Trump is at once easily diagnosed but slightly confounding. “Remarkably narcissistic,” said developmental psychologist Howard Gardner, a professor at Harvard Graduate School of Education. “Textbook narcissistic personality disorder,” echoed clinical psychologist Ben Michaelis. “He’s so classic that I’m archiving video clips of him to use in workshops because there’s no better example of his characteristics,” said clinical psychologist George Simon, who conducts lectures and seminars on manipulative behavior. “Otherwise, I would have had to hire actors and write vignettes. He’s like a dream come true.”

".....But for at least one mental-health professional, the Trump enigma, or should we say non-enigma, is larger than the bluster of the man whose own Web site calls him “the very definition of the American success story, continually setting the standards of excellence”—to this mind-set, Trump may be a kind of bellwether. Mr. Gardner said, “For me, the compelling question is the psychological state of his supporters. They are unable or unwilling to make a connection between the challenges faced by any president and the knowledge and behavior of Donald Trump. In a democracy, that is disastrous.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2015/11/donald-trump-narcissism-therapists

How long before Hillary starts referring to Donald's narcissistic personality disorder? Or even confronting him for being a text-book example of the disorder?

Has anyone read his book "The Art of the Deal"? That is a must-read for Hillary. According to Donald it is second only to the Bible in greatness. Don't bright people like Hillary, "old school" bookworms, have the ability to read a book like that rapidly? It must be a road-map to Donald's mind. I dread assigning myself to read Donald's book, but I should "know my enemy" don't you think? If he becomes president I will probably read "The Art of the Deal" and also develop a Donald Trump life-sized punching bag.

Edited by Airbrush

How long before Hillary starts referring to Donald's narcissistic personality disorder?

Possibly never, if it's something that might backfire. So far it looks like simply letting him display it has been sufficient. Much like Queeg on the stand in The Caine Mutiny.

Remarkable about this article on Trump's Psychology, it was written BEFORE he won the republican primary!

".....What is the evidence that Trump matches up with this demographic of disaffected TWCM (Traditional White Christian Males) and for the reasons I note? Well, first there is the basic voting pattern data. At the aggregate polling level Trump is appealing to angry White men, who have lower than average socio-economic status. A second feature of Trump’s rise that lends credibility to this analysis is that his candidacy is not really driven by any clear ideology because, in fact, Trump is all over the ideological/political map. It is much better described as a cult of personality. It is what Trump’s personality symbolizes that drives his current base...."

​Sounds a little like Hitler...perhaps?

"...What is it about his personality that is so appealing to some (while being so abhorrent to others)? His unabashed egoism and narcissism, coupled with his success. Trump unapologetically views the world through a performance hierarchy. In the real world (or at least what Trump says is the real world), you either get the job done or you don’t. His wealth and influence is evidence that he gets things done. Why is he a winner? Because he is better than everyone else. And his intellect, charm and grit are the reasons; others (i.e., the bimbos and losers out there) fail because they are weak and stupid. In short, Trump is completely and unapologetically defined by egotistical rankism...."

​"But if Trump is so clearly in the top 1% of the economic stratosphere, why would he be appealing to disaffected TCWM? Because when we rally around a candidate, we connect to them, we live vicariously through them, and they represent what we desire...."

Sounds a little like Hitler...perhaps?

"...Trump’s narcissism plays right into these dynamics. By identifying with someone who has enormous money, power, influence, access to beautiful women and other powerful people and who unabashedly promotes it as a function of his personal attributes and skill, individuals who are feeling threatened and who long for that sort of power can vicariously connect with the life Trump leads via supporting him. The bottom line is that many TWCM are anxious and disappointed about their lives and the direction the country is taking and see additional threats in a multicultural diverse world. As such, there is a yearning to “the good old days” when American White Males embraced their exceptionalism and power and did not have to be shy about being “better”. They were better because they had more power, which is exactly the kind of logic that Trump symbolizes and endorses."

"Despite his strong lead in the polls and surprising staying power, I still can’t believe that Trump will get the Republican Party nomination and it is essentially inconceivable that he will become the actual President, which, IMO, would be an unequivocal disaster in too many ways to count. But it is clear that he is tapping into profound dynamics that relate deeply to our country’s confused and conflicted state. I hope we can use the Trump phenomenon to "diagnose" these dynamics and then, with awareness, begin to develop educational and political systems and movements that constructively address them rather than actually attempt to live out a pathological narcissistic fantasy at the social systems level."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/theory-knowledge/201509/trump-psychosocial-analysis

Here is my new idea to help solve the Trump Problem. You need to have something interesting for disaffected traditional white Christian males to do. In their neighborhoods start up sports leagues of all kinds. Give them colorful uniforms with their names on it and outrageously descriptive team names, and the winning team in each league gets a substantial monetary reward. It is worth it to get these idle minds busy and off the streets, and onto the sporting fields where they belong.

And chess clubs, video games, archery, shooting, or anything else for those not interested in sports.

Edited by Airbrush

That seems rather like a bread and circuses band-aid for some much deeper problems. Some of them cultural and others the result of legitimate economic and social grievances.

Just because someone is wrong about how to fix a problem, or even what precisely the problem is, does not mean that there isn't actually a problem that needs fixing. The problem that people are facing is not boredom. There are serious economic and social issues that are burying a lot of people in this country, especially regionally, and a lot of what we're seeing is the result of people casting around looking for both a source and solution to the problem that is simple enough that they can take some action against it and hope to have a chance of doing something about it.

In most cases, they are wrong about both the problem and the solution, but in part that is the result of a lot of weight and complexity in the underlying root issues being so difficult to effectively tackle that even trying to understand how to go about it can make the whole effort feel hopeless.

There have been a lot of changes in the country over the last 20-30 years. Socially, I think they are mostly, but not universally, for the better. Economically, I think they've largely been for the worse. Adapting to change is stressful even when it is positive. When there are a lot of negatives thrown into the mix, it makes it harder for many people to accept positive or neutral changes that they might have been more open to if they were otherwise feeling secure in their positions in society.

Remarkable about this article on Trump's Psychology, it was written BEFORE he won the republican primary!

".....What is the evidence that Trump matches up with this demographic of disaffected TWCM (Traditional White Christian Males) and for the reasons I note? Well, first there is the basic voting pattern data. At the aggregate polling level Trump is appealing to angry White men, who have lower than average socio-economic status. A second feature of Trump’s rise that lends credibility to this analysis is that his candidacy is not really driven by any clear ideology because, in fact, Trump is all over the ideological/political map. It is much better described as a cult of personality. It is what Trump’s personality symbolizes that drives his current base...."

I think it is an example of white privilege. This is a major white country and white males specifically hold the majority of positions of power in our cities, county, and states both in the public and private sector. White males are a demographic that is never ignored. Everything from equal pay for women, black lives matters, to immigration issues like Dreamers and etc are issues whites get to have strong opinions on and influence over. As the majority of the collective they get to basically access the value of minority centric arguments/protests. The opposite has never been true in our history. So when Trump and his silly ideas are laughed off and dismissed it make a certian portion of white males upset. They are not use to their ideas being dismissed. Not use to society not rendering them its full attention. In the mind of a Trump supporter this is their country. Non-christians, people of color, tenured professors, and etc are just on their bandwagon.

That is what Trump taps into. Obviously Trump can't relate to being poor and isn't particularly religious but he can relate to their assumption of societal position. The spoilt privilaged attitude we see on display when groups whom assume themselves the rightful majority demand things like we all say merry Christmas because happy holidays isn't good enough or think the answer to racial tensions is minorities just doing a better job following police intructions; doing what they are told.

New flash!! Trump is done! :):):)

Listen to his 2005 tape talking about grabbing women by the private parts because it's allowed "if you're famous." This is an acute case of NPD (narcissistic personality disorder). When will the news begin to call it for what it is?

At this moment 2:32pm Pacific Time this is a hot story on MSNBC and CNN, but nothing about it on Fox News, yet. It will be interesting to see how long before Fox News is forced to admit this breaking news bombshell.

Join me now, let's watch Fox News until this story HAS to appear. Watch The Five pretend nothing happened yet.

Edited by Airbrush