Help with Mild Steel

ski_power

Hi,

I've got a small block of mild steel. The whole darn thing is rusted and black all over. I dont want to file it, but want the rust removed. Can it be done using simple things found in and around the house?

Please help.

the best way to remove the rust is to soak it in a solution of oxalic acid. Then after some time it will just wipe off and be all clean. Oxalic acid binds to rust and then you can wash it off- i belive its the only good clean easy method to remove rust. I once washed my rusty scissors like that.

Hi' date='

I've got a small block of mild steel. The whole darn thing is rusted and black all over. I dont want to file it, but want the rust removed. Can it be done using simple things found in and around the house?

Please help.[/quote']

It it black everywhere it is not rusted? If so, it was probably treated with "black oxide" a chemical process that inhibits rust, but it doesn't last forever. If it is not horribly crusted in rust you can get an industrial scotch brite pad, spray the block with WD-40, and rub it off. You can also use a wire brush. You can get a wire brush attachment for a power drill at Home Depot as well as the scotch brite pad.

After you're done, spray with WD-40 and wrap with a cloth rag. It will keep the rust away.

i just cant imagine using chemicals to remove rust (well, i can but to me its impracticle) because i do alot of metal work (swords, lab equipment, brazing, airguns, and mechanical parts, oh and metal art) and i always use abrasives. I would take 150 grit sand paper and give it a good rubbin till its free off rust, then hit it with some 200 grit, then some 300 grit, then give it a good rubbing with steal wool, then rub it good a few times with a good polishing compound thats for steal (iron). If done right you should get a buitiful shine, and itll be nice and smooth. I wish i had a block steal. I would put it in the drill press and drill as many holes a possible to get a "hive effect" and then spray the whole thing with laquer then put it on my dresser for a year.

As you can see i like metals and working with metals.

ya, i do that alot. I have a mapp gas hose torch so i can melt anything up to copper. My favorite casting metals are Al and Zn becasue they melt at low temps and a resonably strong for there Mp. Iva mad all kinds of things. I make the molds out of plaster of paris. I tried some bottle rockets with the nozzle made of plaster of paris and it worked excellent.

i saw that movie a long time ago and cant realy remember it. Didnt they make there rocket engines from steal or something (seems dangerous). I KNOW THEY USED SOMETHING REALY HOT BURNING BECAuse they had to get "railroad" steel.

Also if you were doing the metal/glass gernade expierement where you use metal balls, and water, and freeze em, then throw em' so they shatter, you are much better off just buying the iron ones, steel dosn't seem to have that dramatic shatter that iron has...