The disturbed world of online games

Academic success isn't everything, honestly it is something kind of expected by us since we were born. It is the course that society dictates to every individual, sort of like how a woman is expected to give birth to children and raise them. Personally I have strayed from the academy, I was psychotic in my early life and maybe missed it, and today at the age of 34 I am not eager about it. I even look down upon it a bit as it is SO competitive, and like a meat grinding machine of grades.

Ok so you look down on academia and it's very competitive.

I still think that remark by your friend I commented about and you did also is very sad and shallow and reminds me of a young child mesmerized by something so mundane and shallow like today's pc games. Something I feel sad for, or disgusted by. I myself play pc games, but it is mainly to pass time and have something constant to do,

So you think he's mesmerised by this shallow mundane thing however, he has also managed to achieve great things in academia. He has not pursued wealth but gone for contributing more to science. How is he shallow there??? You have focused on one thing even though you can do multiple things in life.

Online games today are very popular with all ages, and mainly with the younger ones, I think they are mostly very shallow and over competitive, not to mention the community, that is ridiculously shallow. It is quite a joke.

Again you're simply looking down on people and asserting opinions.

I also don't have a life partner or social company, which is my goal for the future.

I can give you some advice for that, stop looking down on people and judging them based on one or two actions they do online. You can do multiple things with your life.

Competitiveness can be a bad thing, mainly in over competitiveness. When people lose their humanity for the cause, when all they see is the goal ahead, like say money, and elbow push their way to it. I think also for kids competitiveness is cruel, already from a very young age they are faced with much competitiveness, if it is grades, general success at even the smallest things or their looks. I think this world of ours is very cruel and cold. When it comes to school all it is is about grades and more grades, being a survival issue at older age. I call it the meat grinding machine. But this is capitalism, a dog eat dog world. From a sociological point a view you can say competitiveness is a good thing as it gives results, but I think it is mainly cold and cruel.

If it were my call I would go for a more supportive kind of way. If I ever have kids I don't think I will let them go into regular school, I am disgusted by it.

From your own admission you strayed from the academy. Again you're making huge judgements by something you're not 100% clued up on. You may call it meat grinding I call it holding you to the save standard as everyone else. The first steps in education are abstract and kids will struggle to see the bigger picture. However, graduating from physics has changed the way I see the world..... sure I get more annoyed at main stream media because journalists don't understand probability theory but I can create mathematical models, I understand physical systems. This is useful in most jobs from engineering to company data analytics to finance and more. I have also been shown the mathematics behind forming or stars and black holes, electromagnetism, quantum particles. Most importantly of all I learnt the scientific method which is how to come up with a mathematical model of a system and how to test it. This is the fundamental basis of thinking for yourself. If you are disgusted by the imparting of this knowledge because you didn't do very well we could make the argument that you are shallow.

If you are disgusted by the imparting of this knowledge because you didn't do very well we could make the argument that you are shallow.

I am not disgusted by the knowledge, I am disgusted by the system. And my opinions aren't based on my personal success or failure, I can go to the university and succeed if I want.

I am not disgusted by the knowledge,

This is how it seems for someone looking at your posts. I have seen multiple people offer you valid, sound advice on overcoming some of the hurdles and obstacles you've chosen to share. I have not seen you take ANY of it on board, not once. You argue when someone tries to offer their perspective, and so it seems like it's rather pointless talking to you. You'll never change, that's what this attitude of yours says to me. Why discuss anything with a person whose mind is made up?

It's very much like you're disgusted by the knowledge others are trying to pass on. What's up with that, anyway (cue defensive denials)?

This is how it seems for someone looking at your posts. I have seen multiple people offer you valid, sound advice on overcoming some of the hurdles and obstacles you've chosen to share. I have not seen you take ANY of it on board, not once. You argue when someone tries to offer their perspective, and so it seems like it's rather pointless talking to you. You'll never change, that's what this attitude of yours says to me. Why discuss anything with a person whose mind is made up?

It's very much like you're disgusted by the knowledge others are trying to pass on. What's up with that, anyway (cue defensive denials)?

I really am set in my mind, but this is after a lifetime of experience. As I have mentioned I had a rather psychotic life but today I am very stable. I have a rather exotic personal world, consisting of telepathy and the metaphysical world, I even have some metaphysical entity friends. I believe in these strongly and consider them very real. This is a science forum and most of you are scientifically inclined, and will call me a crackpot. You see we are quite different, you won't convince me and I won't convince you. However it is fun to talk and discuss. I personally like to share my world and views. I am also trying to help science advance by excepting things that are out of borders today, like telekinesis, telepathy and the metaphysical world.

You see we are quite different, you won't convince me and I won't convince you. However it is fun to talk and discuss. I personally like to share my world and views.

That isn't discussion. That's blogging, or preaching, or soapboxing. That's not what this forum is about.