Debunking the Flat Earth Society using optics and cosmology.

bussta33

video removed by mod

Thoughts? I can't find arguments that help explain things like SN 1054 in a flat earth perspective online either.

!

Moderator Note

video removed - don't believe in the happenstance. I think you are posting to advertise the video and we don't allow that. Any future threads please try to come with a real question.

Do you think the Moon is flat? Is the Sun flat? So when we have a Lunar eclipse is the flat Earth always in the right alignment?

Now having got that off my chest I may look at the silly YT.

Can't be bothered sorry.

What does SN 1054 mean?

Edited by Robittybob1

Do you think the Moon is flat? Is the Sun flat? So when we have a Lunar eclipse is the flat Earth always in the right alignment?

Now having got that off my chest I may look at the silly YT.

Uh, the video is AGAINST the flat earth (as am I), not for it. Lol

According to the rules of this forum, you should provide a reasonable outline of the video so that people who have not watched the video can still participate in the discussion.

There is plenty of good solid evidence that the Earth is not flat... including pictures from space.

Anyway, what is it you actually want to discuss?

It's impossible to disprove a conspiracy theory if the person in question is willing to cast the conspiracy net wide enough. Any evidence can be faked. We deal with this by having independent confirmation of results so that the only options become extremely unlikely coincidence, an implausibly large conspiracy or the results are valid.

Proving absolutely that it is "really" the final option of the three is impossible. All we can do is continue decreasing the likelihood of it being either of those first two until it's unreasonable to believe either of them are probable. But if someone is willing to commit to an unreasonable belief in either, there's no way to absolutely demonstrate that they are wrong beyond all imaginative possibility, only that they are wrong beyond all reasonable doubt. For many, that is more than enough wiggle room to avoid confronting reality.

• 3 weeks later...

It's impossible to disprove a conspiracy theory if the person in question is willing to cast the conspiracy net wide enough. Any evidence can be faked. We deal with this by having independent confirmation of results so that the only options become extremely unlikely coincidence, an implausibly large conspiracy or the results are valid.

Proving absolutely that it is "really" the final option of the three is impossible. All we can do is continue decreasing the likelihood of it being either of those first two until it's unreasonable to believe either of them are probable. But if someone is willing to commit to an unreasonable belief in either, there's no way to absolutely demonstrate that they are wrong beyond all imaginative possibility, only that they are wrong beyond all reasonable doubt. For many, that is more than enough wiggle room to avoid confronting reality.

Yes, and that is sadly where the realm of equation-less "Theories" begin... in the infamous kingdom of speculation with the evil king that is know as pseudoscience, and his bride, the evil queen known as conspiracy.