Competent Republicans?

StringJunky

I feel that my former support of Kaisich may need rethinking. Sam Bee skewered this narrative of him being "moderate" last night and highlighted some new information about which I wasn't previously aware. Clips below.

Overtone is likely having a completely justified told-ya-so moment right now. :)

It was stated on David Axelrod's podcast, "The Axe Files," first.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/22/politics/jon-huntsman-donald-trump-david-axelrod/

"If he's the nominee, I'm a Republican and I tend to gravitate towards whomever the nominee is."

(snip)

Huntsman said there are aspects of Trump's platform he finds attractive.

"He's strong on things like campaign finance reform and I think it's going to take an extraordinarily unique leader to stand up and say that the way that we're doing this on the campaign finance side is broken and we need to fix it," Huntsman said, adding Trump is "right about bringing aboard a new generation of the best and the brightest and wiping out the old Washington establishment and the old Washington culture."

"I'd love to see someone stand up who's a total outsider and see if that can be done because I think it would actually be a pretty healthy thing," he said.

(snip)

During the hour-long interview, Huntsman, who served as Ambassador to China from 2009 to 2011 while Hillary Clinton was Secretary of State, discussed Clinton's bid for the Democratic nomination.

"When I see her on the stump, sometimes shrieking about the politics of the moment, I say even as a Republican about a Democrat, 'If people could see her as I saw her when she was in the trenches in some pretty difficult circumstances representing the United States, they would think differently about her,'" he said.

I like that last part about H. Clinton.

Maybe once she's elected, he'll be able to work with her.

One of our Canadian politicians once said...

"Elections are not the time to discuss important issues"

( implying its time for bluster, posturing and LIES )

It cost K. Campbell the election.

Edited by MigL

Just in case anyone was wondering, the Republicans' counterparts on this side of the pond are no better.

Here's how the current Prime Minister reacted to the leader of the opposition asking about the National Health Service (which is suffering as a result of current policy).

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pmqs-david-camerons-behaviour-was-a-lot-uglier-than-jeremy-corbyns-suit-a6893496.html

I'd be really embarrassed if I had voted for that rabble.

Just in case anyone was wondering, the Republicans' counterparts on this side of the pond are no better.

Here's how the current Prime Minister reacted to the leader of the opposition asking about the National Health Service (which is suffering as a result of current policy).

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/pmqs-david-camerons-behaviour-was-a-lot-uglier-than-jeremy-corbyns-suit-a6893496.html

I'd be really embarrassed if I had voted for that rabble.

Do you have the same problem we do with social services, where the conservatives that get into power dismantle everything the liberals build up while they were in power, then point and laugh and call the programs feeble, and need even more cutting?

I like that last part about H. Clinton.

Maybe once she's elected, he'll be able to work with her.

Ordinary rightwing conservatives have always been able to work with the Clintons. That's because the Clintons are ordinary rightwing conservatives.

The question is not whether her fellow moderate rightwing authoritarians will be able to work with Clinton. The question is whether any current Republican leadership or powerful Congressmen will.

And if they do, whether any of the more centrist or even the few leftwing folks can prevent another rollback of New Deal provisions, another round of deregulation, another NAFTA or CAFTA or TPP, another bubble and bust, and eventually another TARP accompanied by all the effects of extreme income inequality; punctuated by the bankruptcy of Obamacare, another doubling of the costs of medical care, a massive invasion of the US economy by Chinese "investment", and the bankruptcy of several large American cities.

Followed by plagues (when medical care goes, bad things happen), floods (infrastructural and climate based), fires (forest and - from the service breakdowns in the cities - building), maybe even a little war and famine along the southern borders.

Do you have the same problem we do with social services, where the conservatives that get into power dismantle everything the liberals build up while they were in power, then point and laugh and call the programs feeble, and need even more cutting?

Pretty much the same here, except that the "solution" they offer fro poor services is to sell them off to their rich friends (often American corporations) who will be more "efficient".

For the record the US citizens pay roughly twice as much for their healthcare and don't have significantly better outcomes; by some measures- like age at death- they do worse.

They did a similar thing with the prison service- selling it largely to a group called G4S who, among other things, got the contract to provide security for the London Olympics. A job they botched up so badly that the army got called in to do the job.

G4S are still winning government contracts in spite of being demonstrably incompetent.