Urgent computer problem!!! Any one who has Xp Home please come here!

albertlee

If you are currently using Xp Home, may you go to windows\system32\

and see is there a file called: C_950.nls??

can you guys upload the file uphere, because i currently needed to boot my windows Xp Home, because my Xp now has a failure to start up, because the message says the file C_950.nls is missing.....

Any one can help???

please and thx

Albert

Whoooa take deep breaths....lets start at the beginning.Firstly it is neigh on impossible to delete system files from XP....so exactly what are you so frustrated about.You have DL'd a program yes?.Which as screwed your OS(virus?spyware?)

Forgive me but XP doesnt screw up on its own accord.

Are you breathing okay now...what have you done?

Im no expert but can help you if you start again!!

If you require files always PM me with email address so i can send them!!!!

ok, start from beginning

before I got this problem, my computer was consistently working alot, that is, my CPU is like running ABOUT all the time, because I was downloading stuff, this lasts for about nearly 2 weeks..... meanwhile I was constantly close and reopen the computer.... by the way, it is a laptop

by the past three days, things go abit wrong, the laptop was ok at night, but by the next day in the morning, I saw the screen black with white words saying "System boot failure", I restarted the computer and let it do the disk scanning and it is all fine.... same thing happened yesterday, but it went fine as well later. but today, when I was letting my laptop doing alot of work, like moving all the files I have from the laptop to the external harddrive, while downloading, and I was playing game at the same time.... but it crashed, and i restart the computer, the problem arose.

I have tried to delete c_950.nls from windows/system32, because it says the file is corrupted or missing, and I copy another c_950.nls from my windows me computer, which I think is the same, because it has same size as well, by means of using dos boot disk, but the net result becomes, that my computer screen appears completely black every time I switch on my computer... AHHH :-(

can any one really just upload a new c_950.nls from your xp home under windows/system32, because that is the only solution I can think of, copying that file from a healthy windows xp home instead of win me.

please help//

thx

Forgive me but XP doesnt screw up on its own accord.

hmmmm. have you ever used xp?

albertree: nls files are 'national language support' files. c_950.nls is the file which contains chineese charechters. i dont think this file could account for your problems, unless you were actually attempting to run your pc with your local language set to chinese(traditional), in which case windows has been known to fail (apparently). in this case, it might not be the fault of c_950.nls, but of missing coding and reg-keys and such-stuff.

is it possible to get your pc running atall, using a boot disk, safe mode, or boot to last known good configuration (hit F8 whilst booting up to get a menu of boot-up options)? if so, try seting your local language to english(UK) or english(US) and see if that makes your pc work

thx dak,

safemode does not work on XP, I have tried hit the ctrl key and kept pressing it as soon as the startup apeared, but that worked nothng.

Now I could try hit F8 as you have said....

thx again!

Albert

were you actually trying to set your pc's 'local language' to chinese?

if not, then i suppose that it could be a virus attempting to exploit the bug in windows. what anti-malware (anti-virus, anti-spyware etc) programs do you have installed?

and finally, do you have any of the service packs installed, eg SP1 or SP2?

thx NSX and DAK,

to Dak, My Windows XP home is traditional Chinese. It is an OEM version for the laptop, and the install disc is only recovery disc, ie, you load the disc and press enter only, and it just formated everything and install Xp home Chinese in.

Any way, I would like to rescue my system in the quickest way. During the error message, it says press "r" from the menu loaded from xp Setup disc, but I only have win xp pro setup disc. I observed that disc under dos from bootdisk, and found that in the root directory of that CD, it only has install.exe, which is a win32 program.

What is the DOS mode program to the menu where I could press "r" to recover my Xp??

or

what is smartDrive?? how can I use it?? because I was also trying to install xp pro to an empty fat32 partition, about 4-5gb. I got info from the internet that, go to i386\winnt from the install CD, to install in DOS mode, but the program suggested to applicate smartDrive, because the installing process would be much faster, and told to check up DOS DOC for more info about smartDrive. Since I did not know what is that, I just hitted enter installing without smartDrive. It took extremely long time, with the caption showing "please wait while Setup is copying files to your harddisk" with a blue background. I went to bed, and the next day, the screen apeared the caption, somewhat like "Setup fails to copy file xxx.inf", and it says if I ignore copy that file, I might encounter error while install.....

so how can I install win xp pro via smartDrive??

please help

thx

Albert

hmm, the only thing that i can think of is to try and get hold of a chinese windows xp disk and use the recovery console. sorry if thats not much help.

(ps, did you manage to get the file c_950.nls re-installed? if so, did it help?)

any way, I managed to install Xp pro to the empty partition. I could access to my other partitions, but the very undesirably, some of my files in the are gone, from the partition which was my xp home. I noticed that the capacity is used up, which, I hypothesized that there was some data loss due to over limit of xp home used before, as I was downloading too many stuff, that likely caused the problem of the failure of xp??

Luckily, as only dir "Documents and Settings" is gone, only my previous school works are gone, although I still feel abit sad about them, because it is such a big collection of research, essays, lab reports, etc, but all my other non-academic files are still remained in the other partition, and some are already in the external drive.

thx any way

bye