understanding transgender/sicgender or agender

I do not understand how can somebody be born a girl but not want to be this gender. Don't you develop estrogen in your body when your forming into a girl and it forms the brain and how it thinks. There is very few differences in the male and female brains " Many neuroscientists had already concluded that brains are checkered with a mix of male- and femalelike structures, said Jordan-Young" , the study says only 6 percent of the brain is distinctively male or female. but even with little differences in the brains there are very much differences with the hormones that are released you are still born with certain hormones in your body that relate to characteristics of a male or female, females are more emotional because they have estrogen and progesterone released.so dont you still act like a girl even if you want male reproductive organs? so if you do surgery to change their sex, the brain stays the same.you can regret the sex change later. why cant we just let the people who think they are meant to be a different gender, express themselves the way they want let them wear whatever clothes they want and teach the public to accept transgender people? I dont think children should be allowed a sex change, I do not think that they can make such decisions in their life. I do understand they go through a lot of bullying but I think our society should show tolerance and teach people that this is a normal phase.they can think that they want to be a different gender while their kids but they might not want to be that later. also i think its terrible to take hormone blockers and hormones in order to do this, its not healthy. It would be also harder to find a mate. http://www.livescience.com/52941-brain-is-mix-male-and-female.html

what kind of process to they use to determine weather they can get a sex change?

do you think children should be able to have a sex change?

how can someone be born in the "wrong body"? if you can be born thinking like a female there must be a female brain but its hard to determine which brain is female.

where do they even get the functioning reproductive organs?

dont you still act like a girl even if you want male reproductive organs?

sorry for so many questions, i just want to learn more about this

Edited by Lyudmilascience

I dont think children should be allowed a sex change, I do not think that they can make such decisions in their life.

Do you have evidence that this is, in fact, happening? I was under the impression that children could not make their own decisions about surgery in general.

Do you have evidence that this is, in fact, happening? I was under the impression that children could not make their own decisions about surgery in general.

Not in the UK. Not sure, about the numbers but an at least significant number of children with gender dysphoria will revert to the self-identity associated with their physical gender around puberty. Knowing this statistic, it would be highly irresponsible to state-sanction such a procedure when it may just be a transient phase. I'm sure the same attitude prevails elsewhere.

Edited by StringJunky

Not in the UK. Not sure, about the numbers but an at least significant number of children with gender dysphoria will revert to the self-identity associated with their physical gender around puberty. Knowing this statistic, it would be highly irresponsible to state-sanction such a procedure when it may just be a transient phase. I'm sure the same attitude prevails elsewhere.

I have learned it recently became legal in Oregon if you are age 15 or above (IOW, generally past puberty). There are many contexts where people of that age are not considered children. It depends on your classification system (which was not established in the OP)

http://www.medicaldaily.com/gender-reassignment-surgery-now-available-oregon-minors-without-parental-consent-342670

"although they are certainly able to, at the time of the fact sheet’s publishing, zero teens and 10 adults under the Oregon Health Plan have undergone sex reassignment surgery."

I don't think there's any substantive evidence for being born in the wrong body with regards to sex. What is mostly meant by this is that one was born with a sex that doesn't canonically correlate with their preferred gender expression. That is, if a child begins to associate themselves more with their female mates, inclined either to certain individuals or to their feminine traits in demeanour, make-up, toys, or colors, their innate social-gears will start turning and they'll strive to grow in their new group.

This happens as much in as outside of gender, but here most of the members of the group have different genitals and breast morphologies, which becomes personally a significant gap between them and the group. Even more so if these physiological differences are stressed to them by parents early on, or the other members of the group stress them or take issue; this could happen by way of the parents of their peers telling them, the kids' noticing their unfamiliar physicality, or by whatever other mechanism kids ostracise others from a group.

Most of the people peddling LGBT rights nowadays, however, are not very critical and so take all of this as a vague "born with the wrong genitals and breasts", or genes, or equivalent. So they advocate for promoting sex reassignment surgery to children who express discord with the gender-genital association their parents or whoever else taught them. This has has been happening with slowly growing regularity in the US, with quite a few of the cases publicized in the news. I am in a mostly capital P progressive milieu where most of my peers have this disposition, and it's approximately normalized.

I've never met or heard of them, but there may be some of these advocates who are aware that this is a decision to help a child conform to and maintain acceptance in a social group, rather than to achieve some abstract spiritual gender identity. They wouldn't be wrong, but they'd have different values; I think that the society these kids come in to ought to have less stringent social regulations, rather than require the kids to go through significant surgery and lifelong therapies to fit in, especially given that sex something easily desensitized as compared to something really requiring surgery to achieve normalcy.

As a background, I've had several transgender friends, a good one who recently got some physical work done in their early 20's, and who I didn't even consider was anything but their presentation when we met in our early teens. When I was much younger I also experienced some considerable gender mixing but never even considered genitals as part of it, though I have some ideas how one might. For the most part in early elementary school my problems were significant enough and preoccupations strong enough that I did not concern much for gender; I imagine if my top concern was fitting in with the group who played with barbies, it may have been.

Sato Said: ....I think that the society these kids come in to ought to have less stringent social regulations, rather than require the kids to go through significant surgery and lifelong therapies to fit in,......

Yes, I'm beginning to think the more I read about it, that society may be forcing a strict gender dichotomy.... one must choose one or the other. The reality, as has been mentioned before in other threads, that sexual preference falls on a continuum. I think it naturally follows that gender identity follows a continuum as well. There doesn't seem to be this general social and professional acceptance that people can be fluid in their gender identity, changing as they see fit. on any given day.... it's not a widely known category,it seems. I imagine a lot of these people with gender dysphoria are in fact transgender 'tweenies'. Why can't they be both?

I have learned it recently became legal in Oregon if you are age 15 or above (IOW, generally past puberty). There are many contexts where people of that age are not considered children. It depends on your classification system (which was not established in the OP)

http://www.medicaldaily.com/gender-reassignment-surgery-now-available-oregon-minors-without-parental-consent-342670

"although they are certainly able to, at the time of the fact sheet’s publishing, zero teens and 10 adults under the Oregon Health Plan have undergone sex reassignment surgery."

I don't agree with this because an adolescent is 'finding their way' about who they are. They may go through several internal transitions, settling on their biological sex. I think it is necessarily a decision that must be made at 18+ when they are likely to have stabilised better.

These feelings can start very young, as young as three. Here's a six year old:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35323211

Edited by StringJunky

you guys were asking me for some sources on children making the decision I coulnt find the documentary I was watching about it but i found a snipit of it that explains somehting,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWB8SuxCIk the video i bookmarked was taken down but this was a portion of it. my friend recommended it to me that's why all these questions came up. its about the whittington family with a child named ryland who was born a girl but became a boy.

most of the videos I find on youtube of transgender people they are under 18 years old when they hget hormonal therapy or a sex change. i think that it is kind of the kid making the decision. they are really insistent on their parents and most of the videos the parents do something about it, either hormone therapy or actual surgery. I also watched a video on which bathroom they use and some of the states have a ban in useing a bathroom that is not your born gender.

you guys were asking me for some sources on children making the decision I coulnt find the documentary I was watching about it but i found a snipit of it that explains somehting,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNWB8SuxCIk the video i bookmarked was taken down but this was a portion of it. my friend recommended it to me that's why all these questions came up. its about the whittington family with a child named ryland who was born a girl but became a boy.

most of the videos I find on youtube of transgender people they are under 18 years old when they hget hormonal therapy or a sex change. i think that it is kind of the kid making the decision. they are really insistent on their parents and most of the videos the parents do something about it, either hormone therapy or actual surgery. I also watched a video on which bathroom they use and some of the states have a ban in useing a bathroom that is not your born gender.

So no evidence that these children are making the decision on their own.