Fashion accessories as indicators of personality

How do fashion accessories like spectacles, watches, brooches etc. serve as indicators of personality traits ? :wacko:

I think they can serve as warning indicators for aberrant behavior. If, for instance, someone thinks their watch gives them status they wouldn't otherwise have, that person is definitely going to be robbing jewelry stores. We should lock up anyone who calls attention to their watch.

Eventually, watches could be designed to work as handcuffs. Flash it too often, it restrains you and calls the police.

I think they can serve as warning indicators for aberrant behavior. If, for instance, someone thinks their watch gives them status they wouldn't otherwise have, that person is definitely going to be robbing jewelry stores. We should lock up anyone who calls attention to their watch.

Eventually, watches could be designed to work as handcuffs. Flash it too often, it restrains you and calls the police.

When I see people flashing premium watches I think to myself: " Probably fake". Shot in the foot status-wise if it is and one gets found out.

When I see people flashing premium watches I think to myself: " Probably fake". Shot in the foot status-wise if it is and one gets found out.

It works that way for me. I've worn the same three pieces of jewelry for decades because I like them. I stopped wearing a watch when I got a smart phone. I don't think smartphones are much of a status piece anymore, if they ever were.

If they were, and I thought that way, wouldn't I be thinking "Oooh, I want one of those!" instead of "Oooh, I want to be like THAT guy!" It's the accessory that gets the status, not the one wearing it.

The other thing is, when you see someone dressed impeccably, and their accessories match the body posture and confidence of someone used to such things as part of the world they inhabit naturally, the accessories don't add to their status so much as reflect it, affirm it. But when you see someone who has just the accessory, it's pretty obvious it's an affectation rather than the norm.

It works that way for me. I've worn the same three pieces of jewelry for decades because I like them. I stopped wearing a watch when I got a smart phone. I don't think smartphones are much of a status piece anymore, if they ever were.

If they were, and I thought that way, wouldn't I be thinking "Oooh, I want one of those!" instead of "Oooh, I want to be like THAT guy!" It's the accessory that gets the status, not the one wearing it.

The other thing is, when you see someone dressed impeccably, and their accessories match the body posture and confidence of someone used to such things as part of the world they inhabit naturally, the accessories don't add to their status so much as reflect it, affirm it. But when you see someone who has just the accessory, it's pretty obvious it's an affectation rather than the norm.

Yes. Using the word "class" in the positive sense, and not in the strictly socio-economic sense: you can't buy it... I think that is what many purely money-minded people hope to achieve. In the examples of "old money" that I have met. they are very unassuming and the baubles and clothes they wear don't pull in attention from 100 yards! :)

The fashion industry revolves around accessories. It takes a heavy investment to wear well-designed, well-made clothes, and most can't afford it. But many more can afford to accessorize from those same designers, or wear their cologne.

Designers make a modest profit on $5000 suits and $10,000 dresses, but they make a volume killing on $200 colognes, $300 belts, and $500 watches. It's actually the middle class that funds haute couture.

The fashion industry revolves around accessories. It takes a heavy investment to wear well-designed, well-made clothes, and most can't afford it. But many more can afford to accessorize from those same designers, or wear their cologne.

Designers make a modest profit on $5000 suits and $10,000 dresses, but they make a volume killing on $200 colognes, $300 belts, and $500 watches. It's actually the middle class that funds haute couture.

Seems that it involves capturing the collective psyche through an innovative marketing strategy..... :confused:

"Vuitton, Hermes, Gucci. You'll never be rich unless you look like you already are."

There is a lot of truth in this, I think. On the basic social level (not family) people only generally gravitate, on a regular basis, towards those that will benefit them materially or egotistically in some way.

Ego is an aspect of the personality.

!

Moderator Note

Yes, and 1+1 = 2, but you are drawing conclusions based on opinion. I want there to be some science involved in this. Thus far there has been very little.

You said "A person with sufficient self-esteem does not need to be flashy", so what would be appropriate here would be some kind of study that linked flashiness with self-esteem.

I have stretched earlobes, dermally punched helices and visible tattoos in a short sleeved shirt - mostly due to my misspent youth hanging around at punk and metal shows. Given it's been 14 years since I added any significant ink or piercings, so honestly I don't think terribly much about it on a day to day basis.

I know I have been judged based on the way I've chosen to look - people have concluded that I'm mentally ill, a criminal and a drug addict, among other things, but at this stage in my life I can't say I really care a whole lot. Knowing that some people will jump to negative conclusions about me based on my physical appearance alone helps remind me to avoid doing it myself, and the fact that it happens means I probably avoid speaking to some boring, narrow minded people.

Ultimately, people will judge you based on your appearance regardless of how you look. Wear a fancy watch if it makes you happy. If you see someone wearing a fancy watch, try not to assume it means anything other than they like to wear a fancy watch.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally don't wear accessories or pay much attention to what I wear because I find worrying about things like that requires too much time and brain glucose that I could use for something that will either give me more pleasure or advancement. It's not just the time wasted in selecting clothes/accessories but the time it tastes to choose, purchase, transport, store, keep inventory, depreciation etc. When you have a build up of possessions it just gives you more to think about and more choice. Since I place a cost on my time, it doesn't seem like a good use of time, finances and space for something that I gain little pleasure from. I will focus on healthy lifestyle choices and exercise instead to gain the same things you would get from clothing/accessories such as acceptance, social connections, etc.

I personally don't wear accessories or pay much attention to what I wear because I find worrying about things like that requires too much time and brain glucose that I could use for something that will either give me more pleasure or advancement. It's not just the time wasted in selecting clothes/accessories but the time it tastes to choose, purchase, transport, store, keep inventory, depreciation etc. When you have a build up of possessions it just gives you more to think about and more choice. Since I place a cost on my time, it doesn't seem like a good use of time, finances and space for something that I gain little pleasure from. I will focus on healthy lifestyle choices and exercise instead to gain the same things you would get from clothing/accessories such as acceptance, social connections, etc.

IMHO informal attire is a better barometer of personality than formal