How Could You Measure the Efficiency of Bipedal Gait?

This is something I have been thinking of for a while and I wonder if there is a simple way to measure the efficiency of bipedal and quadrupedal gait (of animals) in order to compare the relative efficiency of both.

Anatomically, I assume it is from the power applied to a moving object or from absolute contraction of muscle to a known standard force.

Biochemically, I was thinking on the lines of measuring intramuscular ATP following heavy, standard exercise.

However, I am struggling to find material, references, etc... on this topic.

Are there any clues out there?

Double-marked water / doubly-labelled water - great way to establish overall metabolic rate. Resting Control to find basal and then demonstrate what increased percentage of basal is required when a period (length would depend on size of animal) includes short, moderate, and prolonged walking.

Sorry - to explain why not any of the methods. Double-marked water can be used in animals easily whereas lots of the breathing monitors can not

Whenever I see people pretending to do this sort of analysis on e.g. gatorade commercials, they are measuring respiration while the subjects are on a treadmill.

Gait analysis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gait_analysis

Jimmydasaint,

I think this paper would help you out, species which do both make useful targets for research.

I am sure if you follow the many papers referenced in the paper you will get plenty of insight into different methods in comparative biomechanics.

http://www.raichlen.arizona.edu/DavePDF/PontzerEtAl2014.pdf

Edited by tantalus