[Botanical] Wilting of flowers...

Externet

Do flowers that get pollinated wilt much sooner than ones that are not pollinated, as in insect-free environment ?

Yes, pollinated flowers wilt sooner than non-pollinated flowers. Since many plants are wind pollinated, keeping those plants from insects will have no effect.

Does any remaining need to spread pollen have an impact?

It might, but it's no simple matter inasmuch as some plants have flowers with both male and female parts (called monoecious) and some plants have only male flowers on a single plant and female flowers on a separate plant (called dioecious). Moreover, some plants self-pollinate and in several different ways.

Other factors can affect how long a flower is in bloom too, such as temperature, available water, length of day & night, and other environmental elements.

Given some of Externet's past threads on extracting essential oils from flowers I'd guess that is at the bottom of this topic so I'd suggest some reading up and experimenting with whatever specific plant(s) he is using.

Thanks, gentlemen.

No essential oils this time; just surprised of orchid flowers lasting over 6 months so far now, in my kitchen with no insects nor wind. Only steak fumes...

Aha!! :lol: You're welcome of course. I don't now much about orchids, but a little searching turned up a couple of interesting links.

The first, a book by Darwin which I plan to read a bit of after reading his book on worms last year.

ON THE VARIOUS CONTRIVANCES BY WHICH BRITISH AND FOREIGN ORCHIDS ARE FERTILISED BY INSECTS, AND ON THE GOOD EFFECTS OF INTERCROSSING.

BY CHARLES DARWIN, M.A., F.R.S., &c.

The second perhaps more germane to your immediate query.

Orchid Pollination

Orchids have developed highly specialized pollination systems and thus the chances of being pollinated are often scarce. This is why orchid flowers usually remain receptive for very long periods and why most orchids deliver pollen in a single mass; each time pollination succeeds thousands of ovules can be fertilized. ...