How to insert a formula into the text of the topic?

I cannot insert a formula in the text of the topic, though the formula is typed correctly, for example:

[latex] \frac {d^2r}{dt^2}=-k_0\,k_1{\left(\frac {d\phi}{dt} \right)}^2r=-\frac {m}{{\Delta}^3 m }\frac {\Delta x^3_0}{r^3}{\left(\frac {d\phi}{dt} \right)}^2r =-{\left(\frac {d\phi}{dt} \right)}^2\frac {1}{{\rho}_s}\frac {m}{r^2}\qquad (11) [/latex]

In this message all right, but in the text of my theme it is not working.

• 1 month later...

How can we select the proper symbols for variables without having to learn LaTex?

How can you do something without having to learn it first? Seriously?

1. latex is actually pretty simple to learn. I have learnt it just to allow me to interact here and at other fora - mine is pretty basic and laboured compared to others, and i would guess that active researchers have the use of it as second nature almost and with very little mental overhead.

2. The actual symbols we use and Letters that abbreviate terms and constants are simple - for instance v is always velocity - except when it is a capital in which case it is always Volume, or Voltage, if it is not Sheer Force, or even Vunda; or it is curly in which case it is a nu and thus is clearly a symbol for frequency unless it is kinematic viscosity; or it is actually an upside down A in which case which mean for all; or it is a nabla with the top misprinted in which case all bets are off.

3. Try the tutorial - it is really not that bad and members will always put you straight when you get that horrid latex syntax error

4. click on any latex and you can copy and paste the unparsed code

How can you do something without having to learn it first? Seriously?

1. latex is actually pretty simple to learn. I have learnt it just to allow me to interact here and at other fora - mine is pretty basic and laboured compared to others, and i would guess that active researchers have the use of it as second nature almost and with very little mental overhead.

2. The actual symbols we use and Letters that abbreviate terms and constants are simple - for instance v is always velocity - except when it is a capital in which case it is always Volume, or Voltage, if it is not Sheer Force, or even Vunda; or it is curly in which case it is a nu and thus is clearly a symbol for frequency unless it is kinematic viscosity; or it is actually an upside down A in which case which mean for all; or it is a nabla with the top misprinted in which case all bets are off.

3. Try the tutorial - it is really not that bad and members will always put you straight when you get that horrid latex syntax error

4. click on any latex and you can copy and paste the unparsed code

Having that list of words along with the best symbol to use would be great. Because then it could at least be listed alphabetically.

This is bound to be in Wikipedia but if anyone has it please could they share it.

Edited by Robittybob1

Having that list of words along with the best symbol to use would be great. Because then it could at least be listed alphabetically.

This is bound to be in Wikipedia but if anyone has it please could they share it.

Is there some reason that you can't Google it yourself?

Is there some reason that you can't Google it yourself?

I looked into it and Wikipedia has a list of variables but not really in a form that one would be able to copy and paste onto a spreadsheet. I was thinking of trying to simplify accessing these variables so I thought someone might have list like that already. With enough searching maybe one would find the right thing on Google. It is a time and effort thing. As you may see I have made the suggestion of having an application with many of the physic formulas already presented ready to calculate issues. I sure a type of macro would handle this sort of problem. Just asking.

Do you not realise that it is not positive to further the cause of the false appearance of understanding? Knowledge and comprehension of a subject is good - the pretence (via an over familiarity with the jargon but not the concepts) is potentially worrying.

Learn the formulae, concepts, rules and stuff like that from Khan Academy, Hyperphysics, Paul's Math Tutorials etc. and the rest will follow. There is NO easy route. And being able to give the outward appearance of knowledge without undertaking the hard yards is merely deception

Believe the OP is asking how to insert formulas into the thread subject / topic line.

Yes, well, on closer reading, perhaps you're right. Wouldn't be the first time. We got a tad carried away with process. Also not the first time.

I saw your test, so I guess the answer is, you can't use Latex in the title, it's a very limited little box of options. I would suggest a reference to the formula instead, or some other worded title.

Yes, well, on closer reading, perhaps you're right. Wouldn't be the first time. We got a tad carried away with process. Also not the first time.

I saw your test, so I guess the answer is, you can't use Latex in the title, it's a very limited little box of options. I would suggest a reference to the formula instead, or some other worded title.

Can you search for laTex? It is better to have words/characters that can be searched for in titles.

Edited by Robittybob1

There is an interactive editor, which I often use to get the LaTeX right before using it somewhere else: http://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

And, as you use Excel, you might like this: http://www.codecogs.com/products/formula_render/about.php

I was meaning can you search for posts that have used laTex to display formulas, for it is more complicated than it displays so what would you type into the search box?

You notice when you quote a post with laTex. Then it reveals its true complexity, hence it is not that great as a search term IMO.