Inert Metals

Asimov Pupil

I think the answer to this question is best found in nature. I will explain.

In this case I would descibe inert metals as those that are found mostly in a native state in the environment. These include Au, Pt, Ir, Os, Pd, Rh, Ru. Metals such as Hg, Ag and Cu are certainly known as native metals, but are more commonly found in an oxidised state. For example both Hg and Ag are commonly found in sulfides (cinnabar, acanthite) and sulfosalts (tetrahedrite for example, see the name; I know what I'm talking about :D ), and in halides (calomel and chlorargyrite to name but a few).

As far as I am aware, Ni is never found on earth as the native metal (except in meteorites) and is almost exclusive found as Ni2+ and very occasionally Ni3+.

why? ag is less active than, say, Au. Ni isnt very active either

Sorry Budellewraagh, but I have to disagree with you here. Look at ANY activity series or standard reduction potential series and you will find that gold is not as high in the listings as silver is. Silver is by far more active/reactive than gold is.

uh' date=' I don't think so!

If in doubt, use google!

So search:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=reactivity+series&meta=

1st link -- your wrong

2nd link -- irrelevant

3rd link -- your wrong

4th -- your wrong

5th -- your wrong

6th -- irrelevant

7th -- your wrong

etc etc

I dont get it why is it so hard for you to understand that silver is more reactive than gold. GOLD IS MORE NOBLE THAN SILVER!

Wait, 5614, are you saying what i said is wrong or what budellegraph (or watever ) said is wrong?

ya. ALso, what explains the fact that there are alot fewer gold compounds than silver compounds- such as silver nitrate, silver chloride, silver sulfide, silver selenide, silver oxide, silver iodide, etc. you get my point.

I dont get it why is it so hard for you to understand that silver is more reactive than gold. GOLD IS MORE NOBLE THAN SILVER!

Wait' date=' 5614, are you saying what i said is wrong or what budellegraph (or watever ) said is wrong?[/quote']

He's saying that Bud is wrong. If he's saying that you are wrong, then he should never go anywhere near a chemical as he would obviously not have any clue about chemistry and how to read a table. ;):P:D