Reasons people aren't really real..

darktheorist

People dont seem to realise that they are actually OBJECTS, as opposed to real living organisms. Every person, at the most fundemental level, is a collection-mark me closely here- a collection of responses to a sequence of stimuli

Even the tiniest action, voluntary or otherwise, of a human, being comes under that definition.

(A Programmed Response to a particular stimulus x 1000000000000) = a human being

Responsive Matter, you could call it.

No person therefore is REAL; as to be REAL you'd have to be outside your programmed rules. To behave in a way other than what your innate programming dictates you do in response to a particular stimulus.

Its kinda cute, innit when you think about it? People are just fluffy complex toys, robots, immensely complicated ones, but still bound by their dis-reallness.

Aww. People. You feel like keeping a few as pets, when you think about em that way.

No person therefore is REAL; as to be REAL you'd have to be outside your programmed rules.

So computers aren't real. Cars aren't real. Animals aren't real. Trees aren't real. Stars and planets aren't real. Nothing is real.

This doesn't seem like a very useful definition of the word "real" as it appears to have no referents.

This doesn't seem like a very useful definition of the word "real" as it appears to have no referents.

It irks me when people claim things assertively after redefining a term so it has nothing useful or meaningful about it. "This is the way the universe is", 100% certainty with absolutely no falsifiability to even suggest we might be able to test such an idea. It's almost pointless to discuss since there's no evidence to reference.

This particular rant is an affront to my humanist side, but my objections are really more about rational thinking. I can't imagine how this philosophy could make me a more effective human. And talking about it is 100% guesswork.

People dont seem to realise that they are actually OBJECTS, as opposed to real living organisms.

I am disinclined to accept your assertion as it is clearly the result of a complex concatenated string of stimulus and response. It really is.

It irks me when people claim things assertively after redefining a term so it has nothing useful or meaningful about it. "This is the way the universe is", 100% certainty with absolutely no falsifiability to even suggest we might be able to test such an idea. It's almost pointless to discuss since there's no evidence to reference.

This particular rant is an affront to my humanist side, but my objections are really more about rational thinking. I can't imagine how this philosophy could make me a more effective human. And talking about it is 100% guesswork.

People who start threads and then do not respond or join into the conversation irks me. The redefining thing may be tolerable if a thread's originator was willing to defend, further explain, or discuss it. It is guesswork but sometimes that can be useful. When it is just an OP that reads as a statement rather than a question with no reply to the members who entertain the idea that is when I find it useless. Such seems to be the case here.

I agree with the d theoist to the degree that a definition of the word real needs to be adjusted.....if you consider what is "real" in the conventional sense, that implies a definition before the discovery of quantum mechanics. And with nothing else in the content of the post...

Edited by hoola