Our Self-Worth

Mychicken

First off, let me mention that I am in no way a credible or experienced speaker in any science field, nor am I just a crazy person coming here to spew random letters at you. I'd just like to relieve myself with my thoughts and have your own opinion on my view of us humans here on Earth.

Science, a largely studied and very complex field of who we are. Humans, the only intelligent life being (that we know), creating, destroying, all while on a piece of rock floating through space. There are so many things we do not know, such as what is out beyond what we've scratched the surface on in space, or even our oceans. We are literally specs of atoms and molecules that have come together to form intelligent thoughts, and we still don't even know how we as humans began to be. For all we know, everything is created in our minds and nothing is real ( egocentric predicament). But with these minds, we have thought of anything possible, but there are still things to which we will NEVER have a definite answer to. When will our sun collapse on itself? When will the universe cease to exist? What will happened when we die? Is it safe to assume that we, as humans, are terrified of our questions we can not answer. Realism is the common way to go since many do not have the capacity to think for themselves. Humans have created religion to give everyone a faith in something they do not even know exists, all for what purpose? To halt all of the questions they do not have an answer to. We are here on Earth for what reason? We are born, live in our materialistic world, and die. Then what? What is the purpose? We will never know.

Self worth is self defined. Meaning is less an act of discovery than it is an act of authorship. We are the universe expressing itself as a human being for a while. Try not to let your evolutionarily selected anxieties about surviving through tomorrow mask the inherent and exquisite beauty of existing in the present.

Breath and Be. The rest is ephemeral detail and pointless distraction.

The wonderful part about science is it's ability to destroy ignorance. When we're afraid of something, we can learn about it and the fear is lessened if not completely banished. I think it's important for our self-worth to identify what is ignorance, and what is irrational fear impervious to reason.

If you're afraid you're too materialistic, there are ways to educate yourself to be less so. If you wonder what the purpose of our lives is, you need to give it some. For me, it seems obvious that humans are the only species that could leave this planet and take other species with us to colonize other worlds. If I can do my 1/7,294,094,656th part to make that happen, I have all the purpose I need. I don't need to worry when our sun will go red giant, or when the universe will end. These are things I have no control over, so worry related to them is irrational, inefficient, and simply adds to stress that might keep me from enjoying life, or seeing a better solution.

Falsifiability is a helpful concept. If you suspect everything is happening only in our minds and nothing is real, you need to realize there's no way for anyone to show that's false. It's not important whether it's false or not if there's no way to falsify it. This is what science mainly does, it looks for ways to falsify an idea rather than to prove it. Theories aren't proof, they're explanations that are falsifiable, without ever having been successfully falsified. If you're worried about something irrational, think about if it could be shown to be wrong.

If not, see iNow's answer above.

• 3 months later...

I think real is a perception if we think things are real then they are real to us. I do agree we are afraid of questions but I think we are more afraid of getting the wrong answer. for instance i like to believe there is no god and that people have free will because I don't like to think that someone created us and that there is someone intelligent out there that is looking at u and can destroy us at any point. i like to believe in free will because that means i can change my personality if we do not have free will that would be depressing that means that i can never change and if its meat to be that i get in a car accident and get amnesia then its inevitable. i also like to believe that the world will not end when people are on it i dont want anyone to feel any pain or experience the world ending because im sure it will be horrific. i also dont like to believe in reincarnation or karma, I don't want to be al capone in my past life. I just dont like not haveing much control over my life. I want to believe in a soul but that would mean that there is very likley a existence before and after my death of the soul. people already dont have much control over their lives and they like to believe at least i the after life they will have control or they will enter a new life in heaven I think i would believe that there is no god even if he was proven because I like to have some privacy and i dont want him to have control over my life.