Existential Boredom

TheGeckomancer

I am not posting what I do here to gain your acceptance. I don't care if you think my hobbies are awesome or completely inane. The fact that you think your opinion even matters on that topic is amazing. STFU and learn your place. I come here from a position of vulnerability and ask for advice, you use it as an opportunity to insult me because I don't share your world view. And I am the one that needs to learn....Seriously.... You don't understand anything if you think I can just take a sequence of words, plug them in and be a different person. It takes time and introspection and it has to resonate with your experiences.

!

Moderator Note

"STFU and learn your place" crosses the line. It's not even close.

You are entitled to give no weight to someone else's opinion, but this is a discussion forum, and everyone posting is free to offer their view as long as they follow the rules. If you feel that someone else has violated the rules, you should report it rather than lash out.

Dont ban him yet, i like it when there's less intelligent people around, i stand out less then.

!

Moderator Note

As long as I'm here, I'll say that that's uncalled for as well.

It's beyond idiotic to think I am insulting anyone by not immediately embracing a way of looking at the world that entirely different from my own.

I really don’t care if you take my advice or not, I’m certainly not insulted by that, I’m not even insulted by you suggesting I’m an idiot (it’s often true), it’s you that seems to be the insulted party here.

Stop and think for a damn minute.

Maybe you should try that approach; if you have a problem (in this case boredom) you have two choices, do something about it or do nothing and wallow in your misery, not a great deal of thought required.

nietzsche once said he hoped the worst sort of pain, embarrassment and failure to his closest friends and family. Only then they will appreciate the true value to success and human endeavour.

I always thought he was an insane idiot, that kinda confirms it.

I always thought he was an insane idiot, that kinda confirms it.

Because being born with a silver spoon in your mouth ever helped these existentially bored people?

Me think No.

If you want confirmation he got sectioned at around 45 and died in a mental ward........

Your story ‘TheGeckomancer’ may not have a happy/content beginning or a happy/content now but it could have a happy/content future, that is up to you not others; success in life isn’t measured by wealth/fame/power, if you choose that path success is a hollow prize and contentment will always be just out of reach.

The only meaning life has comes from contentment not success.

Because being born with a silver spoon in your mouth ever helped these existentially bored people?

Me think No.

Tell that to Buddha.

Offering advice on how you view the world is not opinions that I can take and DO SOMETHING WITH. They are things you have to think about and incorporate. And they have to be consistent with who you are and the things you have learned.

Absolutely true, however you did ask for advice and it might be seen as rude not to give members some acknowledgement for their attempts to provide you with that advice. I grant you it is a only a social convention, but I always try to thank people for their advice, even when it is unsolicited, or useless.

Have you seen anything in the several suggestions offered that might be a solution to your problem?

It's beyond idiotic to think I am insulting anyone by not immediately embracing a way of looking at the world that entirely different from my own. Stop and think for a damn minute.

Although I have read every post in this thread at least once I did not notice one where anyone accuses you of insulting people for not embracing their ideas. I have seen disappointment and frustration that you seem unwilling to even consider any proposal, but go immediately to absolute rejection.

I am not posting what I do here to gain your acceptance.

I didn't think you were before. I am less certain after these latest posts.

I don't care if you think my hobbies are awesome or completely inane.

You seem deeply upset by my casual dismissal of one of your hobbies. It suggests that you do care.

Almost all of my friends and work colleagues who are aware that I participate in these and other similar forums are amused by my "obsession", with a hint of condescension. It probably mirrors my attitude to their "obsession" with social media such as Facebook. It doesn't, however, have any impact on the quality of our relationships.

You might wish to re-examine why my attitude to your gaming matters to you.

The fact that you think your opinion even matters on that topic is amazing. STFU and learn your place.

I find this puzzling. You have asked for help. That suggests you were ready to give some weight to opinions offered by members. My place is as one of the members and I know of no reason that my opinion should be valued less (or more) than other members.

Here is a further opinion. It seems my attitude to your achievements has touched a nerve, even although my attitude is quite trivial.

When advice and opinions are solicited some of it will be unwelcome. It can be the case that ones subconscious recognises that advice and those opinions as being too close to the truth, which creates considerable mental discomfort. You may wish to dwell on that for a time before rejecting it.

I come here from a position of vulnerability and ask for advice, you use it as an opportunity to insult me because I don't share your world view.

That is an odd statement. You have asked for advice on how to change your world view. You seem unhappy with your world view. The insults were designed to produce a reaction - a reaction that would lead to you reconsidering that world view. Unfortunately you seem too strongly wedded to it to seriously contemplate changing it.

And I am the one that needs to learn....

Yet you seem to resist any opportunity to do so.

...Seriously.... You don't understand anything if you think I can just take a sequence of words, plug them in and be a different person. It takes time and introspection and it has to resonate with your experiences.

I have seen no indication that any member posting here expects that of you. What would be nice is some indication that you are continuing to give these ideas some consideration and have not - as appears to be the case - simply rejected all of them outright.

That is an odd statement. You have asked for advice on how to change your world view. You seem unhappy with your world view. The insults were designed to produce a reaction - a reaction that would lead to you reconsidering that world view. Unfortunately you seem too strongly wedded to it to seriously contemplate changing it.

Better the devil you know? It does seem like the passive/aggressive, help-me/STFU, fix-me/not-like-that strategy is designed to maintain status quo. Lots of spotlight time? Maybe. Tragic inaction? Also maybe.

But there definitely seems to be an attraction to the unsolvable riddle concept, the knot nobody can untie, the cold heart that won't thaw. Maybe because it makes everyone else try harder to get through.

I am grateful for everyone's insight, except ophiolite. I have already learned this place just plays favorites. ALL OF YOU have more intelligent statements but ophiolite gets upvotes. That tells me what I need to know there. But anyway, You have to give me an option that works in my world view. You cannot convince me I am wrong because everything, every single thing in my life has confirmed that people are evil, the world is evil. For the longest time I thought I HAD to get away from that view to be happy. But saying I need to not view the world that way does not make it happen when every single thing I see just helps confirm it. Then I found Stoicism, and realized there are philosophies that allow functionality IN that view. So I have gotten to the point where I don't want to kill myself. But how do I get from just barely not wanting to kill myself to actually wanting to be alive? You all have just told me to do stuff. Okay cool. But I don't have any desire to, and no happiness from doing it, and no sense of accomplishments from completing things. I don't understand WHY to do anything. It does nothing.

Better the devil you know? It does seem like the passive/aggressive, help-me/STFU, fix-me/not-like-that strategy is designed to maintain status quo. Lots of spotlight time? Maybe. Tragic inaction? Also maybe.

But there definitely seems to be an attraction to the unsolvable riddle concept, the knot nobody can untie, the cold heart that won't thaw. Maybe because it makes everyone else try harder to get through.

If you can't stay on topic please don't post.
Edited by TheGeckomancer

People are people and the world is only shit if you think it is, perspective is everything; Ophiolite just pointed that out, why blame him if you can’t understand?

....Are we reading entirely different posts? Ophiolite just nitpicked my word choices, and insulted me. No deep or meaningful comments, nothing about perspective. Nothing meaningful on any level. Just vacuous words.

But I am going to avoid saying anything else about this topic. I am not trying to devolve the conversation further. I joined this forum because the people here are really intelligent and I value most of your opinions. Again, even if I don't see the world the same way you do.

Edited by TheGeckomancer

....Are we reading entirely different posts? Ophiolite just nitpicked my word choices, and insulted me. No deep or meaningful comments, nothing about perspective. Nothing meaningful on any level. Just vacuous words.

So as well as being terminally immature, you have serious reading comprehension problems.

I did. Repeatedly. Because I figured if you thought there was something there there may be. I don't see it. Translation maybe? One that isn't just insults? Again. I am amazed that's acceptable. Actually. I am done. Respond if you want. I will read it, but I am done with this topic. Clearly this was a bad idea. If you aren't agreeing with people you offend them. There is no middle ground apparently. Everyone just assumes I am immature, and probably assume I have no life experience. This is something I have been dealing with for over a solid decade, I am nearly 30 now. I am not a kid. I have been taking care of myself since I was 17, with my whole family dead, still going to highschool while maintaining a fulltime job and my own place. Homeless from 5 to 7 year old kid because both my parents were druggies. I am not looking for pity but I get this STRONG feeling people assume I have had a sheltered life. I haven't. Not by any means. I have been attacked by gangs, shot at, stabbed twice, escaped burning buildings and more. My life could be made into a movie, if you cut out the long boring years in between some of these events.

Edited by TheGeckomancer

Let's consider this scenario: someone asks for advice on a forum. Several people offer sound advice, which if followed would solve the problem to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the amount of effort put in by the sufferer. Unfortunately, the advice falls on deaf ears and is rejected for one reason or another. Some of those who offered good advice are annoyed now, and their comments turn from positive to negative. The person asking for advice feels he is under attack for being honest about his feelings of hopelessness, and his inability to "pull himself together". He lashes out and goes from guy who needs help to guy with an attitude.

Well give yourselves a pat on the back; you really know how to help someone who has a problem.