How might Ki work if it were real?

GrandMasterK

For the fun of it I've been trying to conjure a way something like dragonballz and/or magic might work, from a scientific perspective. I invite you to help me hammer this out. In dragonballz a single energy force "ki" allows a person to manipulate matter in all kinds of ways. So lets explore how this might happen and what kind of science we'd have to make up to allow it to happen....

So, first the scenario:

Human beings carry with them latent energy that can be summoned in a myriad of ways to perform supernatural feats such as......creating plasma, fire, water, wind, magnetism, elements and other manipulations of matter. So here's the questions we need to answer:

1. How is this invisible energy force stored in or around the body?

2. How can we work out a single number (like a power level) that gives us the necessary energy level to perform tasks. i.e. how much fire could you shoot out of your hand and if you only have enough power to create 10 gallons of water? (joules or newtons I assume)

3. What regulates how much of this energy you have and how long it takes to regenerate it? And also how you could acquire more.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? At the very least we know that everything is made of energy and the same kind of fundemental particles. So we can at the very least argue that under ideal conditions we can take energy and turn it into whatever we want. In real life, we need dramatic events like the big bang, supernova and star fusion to create elements. Making molecules in a lab ain't so tough though. How would you do it by will? What do you think would be the most generous way to explain this fictional process if a sorcerer were shooting water or fire out of his hands or fabricating metals out of thin air?

At the very least we know that everything is made of energy ...

We know that energy is a property of physical configurations. Nothing is really 'made of energy'.

As for the rest... well as it is make believe we could invoke any mechanism we want.

I don't know what you mean by that in relation to what I said?

Lucas explained the force by creating microscopic lifeforms within cells that allow the user to manipulate the force. I prefer that explanation over "they just can". Eels generate electricity through cells. This is a somewhat decent place to start. I'm looking for more perspective though.

Edited by GrandMasterK

Lucas explained the force by creating microscopic lifeforms within cells that allow the user to manipulate the force.

Does he explain the mechanism involved with midi-chlorians interacting with the Force? (Or indeed more on the nature of the Force?) Or does he just hide it all behind the midi-chlorians?

I prefer that explanation over "they just can".

But it is not really much of an explanation! Still, it is fiction and being consistent (as pointed out by Swansont) is more important that making links with real science.

Eels generate electricity through cells. This is a somewhat decent place to start. I'm looking for more perspective though.

The difference is that electric eels are real and we know lots about electromagnetic fields. We also know about the various organs electric eels(and other electric fish) use.

I don't know what you mean by that in relation to what I said?

Lucas explained the force by creating microscopic lifeforms within cells that allow the user to manipulate the force. I prefer that explanation over "they just can". Eels generate electricity through cells. This is a somewhat decent place to start. I'm looking for more perspective though.

I count myself as one of the people that were more disappointed by ascribing the force to biology than by the introduction of Jar-Jar Binks.