Stupid Question

sciwiz12

I'm sorry, I've been meaning to dig a lot deeper into physics, but something just occurred to me.

The fundamental forces acting upon distant objects, quantum entanglement of particles across vast distances, is it possible that space is an illusion.

Rather, is it possible that we could perceive space and distance as real on a super atomic level, and yet that the universe could be better explained if distance were not real on some subatomic level, that distance could be some sort of trick.

I mean mathematically you can represent three dimensions with three coordinates.

I could almost imagine some kind of singular... Thing which has three different kinds of properties with various values that could give rise to an illusion of space, and yet if space were not real then two objects could intersect in such a way that their spatial properties would seem to place them light years apart while in truth they merely have slight changes in three properties while everything in the universe is actually in one... "Location".

There is another approach where you can transform space-time to "momentum space" which consists of 3 momentum dimensions and 1 energy dimension (in place of 3 space and 1 time).

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128241-700-beyond-space-time-welcome-to-phase-space/

And an article describing several such approaches here: http://www.nature.com/news/theoretical-physics-the-origins-of-space-and-time-1.13613

I'm sorry, I've been meaning to dig a lot deeper into physics, but something just occurred to me.

The fundamental forces acting upon distant objects, quantum entanglement of particles across vast distances, is it possible that space is an illusion.

Rather, is it possible that we could perceive space and distance as real on a super atomic level, and yet that the universe could be better explained if distance were not real on some subatomic level, that distance could be some sort of trick.

I mean mathematically you can represent three dimensions with three coordinates.

I could almost imagine some kind of singular... Thing which has three different kinds of properties with various values that could give rise to an illusion of space, and yet if space were not real then two objects could intersect in such a way that their spatial properties would seem to place them light years apart while in truth they merely have slight changes in three properties while everything in the universe is actually in one... "Location".

Well you seem to have stumbled upon a bit of a philosophical niche of metaphysics. You see space is an illusion, but then again so is everything else, the only way to see everything as it truly is is to remove the un-simultaneous-ness of two events, in essence remove time, because time makes the universe spatial instead of a single point. So if you're looking at this period . , and if this period is infinitely small, large, fast, slow, and everything else at once, you're looking at the universe.