E.t.

why?

Do you think aliens exist  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you think aliens exist

• Yes
    • Maybe
    • No

It is probable that they are more advanced than us, if this were the case then we wouldnt be able to detect their communications because they'd be using something we arent looking for, i cant remember what it is, i was reading an article about it the other day.

Anyway, why should they contact us?

I think if aliens existed they wouldnt want anything to do with us, to get here they would be clearly way more advanced than we are, which would automatically make them a threat to us.... what do we do to something that makes us feel threatened??? annihilate them first then ask questions. Being that they would be more advanced than us I doubt that they would be stupid enough to try and make contact.

Ohhh time for some fun. (Please note that the following does not nessairly reflect my oppinion but does say what I think could creat a fun debate)

Well of course aliens exist were do you think we came from??? Our genetics can be traced back to a comon ancestry of 7 women (For more detailes go to discovery.com and look for articles related to "7 daughters of eve"). These seven women must have been left on earth by a dieng race of humans from another planet. This dieing race must have left humans on other planets therefore humans must exist elcewere.

Ohhh time for some fun. (Please note that the following does not nessairly reflect my oppinion but does say what I think could creat a fun debate)

Well of course aliens exist were do you think we came from??? Our genetics can be traced back to a comon ancestry of 7 women (For more detailes go to discovery.com and look for articles related to "7 daughters of eve"). These seven women must have been left on earth by a dieng race of humans from another planet. This dieing race must have left humans on other planets therefore humans must exist elcewere.

Mitochondrial Eve was not the only female alive at the time. Neither were her "mitochondrial daughters." She was simply a genetic bottleneck traced back through the females (mitochondrial DNA is inherited solely from the mother). Since not all family trees include female offspring, it shouldn't be too surprising that such a common female ancestor exists. At the time she was alive, some other female further in the past was the mictochondrial Eve. If the analysis had been done, say, 300 years ago, it's possible that a different answer (older) would have been found, because that female line has died off in the interim (i.e. no daughters born in a subsequent generation)

Let's not define "fun" to be gross misrepresentations of science on a science discussion board.

Yes. With millions of galaxies, each with millions of statr it is absurd to think that Earth would be the only one to have life.

Their development would be anywhere from microbes to "Gods". Earth formed some 4.5 billion years ago, there would be planets that formed 10 billion years ago, how far would life evolve, how far would science evolve given a 5 billion year head start on us?

Yes, but they're probably worms or micro-orgasnisms.

So Earth is "special", is it?

Whether they have or have not been here is fully debatable as are their reasons for their actions (if any). However since we cannot predict with any accuracy the actions and motivations of humans, I don't think we can even guess at why they would do or not do something.

I think it's highly likely that life exists somewhere else, although I think it is either microbial or in a form we wouldn't readily recognize as "living", there is no way to imagine some of the possibilities that could be out there, at least in my opinion. Has anyone else ever read about the possibility of silicon as opposed to carbon based life?

i remember back in high school, my astronomy teacher gave a pretty good argument as to why it was highly unlikely that life exists on other planets. it was a deductional path of thought in that he first began with all of the stars in the entire universe, but, only some stars are able to harbor life, and then of those stars only a fraction will have planets surrounding them, and then within those that have planets there is a 'hospitable zone' surounding them in which the entire orbit of the planet must be in...

HOWEVER...i don't buy it. i think that there is some other form of life out there, but we are just too far apart to be in contact with them. and i do think it is very likely that this alien race could be some form like us, just think evolution and natural selection - survival of the fittest...it happened for some reason on our planet, i think that it could have very likely happened on another hospitable planet.

i remember back in high school, my astronomy teacher gave a pretty good argument as to why it was highly unlikely that life exists on other planets. it was a deductional path of thought in that he first began with all of the stars in the entire universe, but, only some stars are able to harbor life, and then of those stars only a fraction will have planets surrounding them, and then within those that have planets there is a 'hospitable zone' surounding them in which the entire orbit of the planet must be in...

The problem with this approach is that the more specific the criteria become (which happens very quickly), the less likely they are to actually be barriers for what we would call "life".

Why do u people think that all aliens that exist will exist only in microbe or worm form?

i mean they could be in a primate form like us!

If there are primate alien life forms, we might expect their development to mirror ours. Imagine the low probability of them being synchronous with our last 100 years, from the time we were able to send signals off-planet to the discovery of uranium's devastating abilities to our sociological ability to overcome our self-destruction (which is still up in the air, so to speak).

It's no wonder we haven't come in contact with an alien race of similar advancement. Cosmically speaking, 100 years is a pretty small window.

E.T. may be either more advanced or less advanced than us. There are too many possibilities to say either. We could be the first, last, or somewhere in between. I believe that there are E.T. I cannot speculate as to how advanced they are.

What I want to know is, why are all these so called pictures of them, always naked?!

alien.gif

Why do u people think that all aliens that exist will exist only in microbe or worm form?

Microbes are incredibly successful, as are various forms of worms (even we share the tube-within-a-tube bodyplan, just with some extra dooddads inside and outside).

In contrast, the primate body form has only shown up once, in a comparatively unimportant group of mammals with highly limited range and ecology, and low diversity.

The simplicity, effectiveness, and versatility of worms and microbes indicates they are probably going to show up in a wide variety of environments. The complexity, inefficiency and specialization of the primate form means that is improbable (though not impossible) for the conditions that lead to it's evolution to occur again on another world.

Mokele

I think life will arise everywhere there is a possibility, not just by chance.

To have the Earth as the only place in the hole Universe with the correct circumstanses for life to arise must have lower odds than the opposite.

I think life will arise everywhere there is a possibility, not just by chance.

To have the Earth as the only place in the hole Universe with the correct circumstanses for life to arise must have lower odds than the opposite.

how is by chance if the possibilty of life arising onanother planet is more than the possibilty of life arising only on earth

isn't this a contradiction by itself

Look at life on our own planet: microscopic organisms vastly outnumber everything else. An anthropogenic view of "life" is misleading' date=' our planet had 'life' for billions of years before the first primate appeared.

Also, there are an extremely small number of primates that have developed [i']in identical conditions to humans[/i] , and the only reason they're so similar to us is because we stemmed from the same ancestor. I'm no statician, but I'd say the odds of a parallel evolution on an alien planet are pretty neglible.

Origanlly posted by YT

Yes.

The Drake Equasions seems logical

YT can u give and explain the drake equations i read the equation but i only found one.

are there more than one eqaution?

well could u explain the equation and how they are credible

I'm no statician, but I'd say the odds of a parallel evolution on an alien planet are pretty neglible.

I agree, but for more than probabalistic reasons. Evolution only works on what's on the table, so to speak, what is around and can occur by mutation. Obviously, this isn't unlimited; there are numerous constraints on evolution because of our biology. Alien systems will likely have different fundamental biology, and thus different constraints.

I use the "building blocks" analogy. Regardless of it's form, life on earth is all made of the same cubic blocks. Constraints can easily lead different piles of blocks into big cubes of many blocks (convergent evolution). But what if the alien "blocks" are tetrahedrons? No matter what the conditions, you can't build a cube with those.

Mokele