Warm Computer

herme3

I have an older Pentium II desktop computer. It gives off a lot more heat than my new computer, but it doesn't seem to show any signs of overheating. I guess this is normal, but the problem is that the computer is in my bedroom. After the Pentium II is running for a few hours, my bedroom is much warmer than the rest of the house. This is nice in the winter time, but in the summer my room can get above 85 degrees Fahrenheit. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions to make the computer give off less heat. I don't think a larger cooling system would work because I am trying to keep the room cooler, not inside the computer. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thank you.

have you tried cleaning the computer, it can make a big difference to how warm computers get..

use the cooling system idea, but put the cold part in the room and the radiator part of the cooling system inside the computers box. just pump all the heat in the room into the computer. itll work like a charm i swear.

Untill the computer melts... You'll probably also find that it just ends up keeping the room cool for a little while then the heat transpher out of the box will exceep the rate at which it's moving it back in and you'll be back where you started...

Personally, i would get one of those water driven heat sinks, exept put the other end of the cooling system out of the window (you may need a piping extention for this) and hopefully, the Processor will work better, and no heat will be from the proccessor into your room.

However, it may not be the processor, could it be the HDD? I imagine they can get quite warm.

My friend, who likes to play with fans, did the following:

1) Located his computer near a window.

2) Fed a tube out of the window.

3) Attached a large, 120cm fan (which was modded to give more speed) to the computer case.

4) Attach the hose to the fan.

5) Profit.

Ice-cold air = best cooling ever. However, you want to be careful that someone doesn't pour a load of water down it for a laugh and/or chuck stones down it :P

Or... Get rid of the computer. I can hardly imagine what use one might have for a pentium II these days...

I am running Windows XP and I haven't found an application that can't run on the computer. Of course, since I have a new computer, I don't want to put a lot of money into the old one. I just have the old one doing different things, so I like to keep them both. So far, opening the window seems to work. However, I don't know what I will do when it is hotter outside than inside.

I am running Windows XP and I haven't found an application that can't run on the computer. Of course, since I have a new computer, I don't want to put a lot of money into the old one. I just have the old one doing different things, so I like to keep them both. So far, opening the window seems to work. However, I don't know what I will do when it is hotter outside than inside.
Are you sure it's your computer? How many 100 watt lightbulbs are on, how about your stereo? Your body is 98.6 F....Check your computer voltage input along with the input current (in amps), multiply them and you got the power dissipation in watts. Then compare it with the other stuff you have on.

• 3 months later...