Probably not a Doomsday Clock

I kinda hoped this is a gratis integer...

At one site they offered me a free shampoo sample; at some other site they even offered free cheese samples.... but this science-related site does not even offer free integer samples.

We ran out of integer samples, but I can send you a sample of cheese shampoo.

It is something of a doomsday clock. It's not the number of visitors as Swanson said, rather it's the highest number of members ever logged in at one time and the reason it is so high is because it's spammers that logged in. Of the [currently] reported 73,962 members of the forum, 98% BME are spammers. Many aren't caught because the spam is in their profile and they never post to a thread, and the memberships of those caught are never deleted. As times goes on the percentage of spammer members will increase. Tick tock! >:D

Acme, did you go all meta and look at the page source or something?

I have noticed the "most online" counter spike up pretty high sometimes, and always thought spam spam spam spam....

Not that I don't go all meta from time-to-time, but in this case I know what's going on because I used to administrate a board that used IP.Board software. This board no more has 74K legit members than I have 4 doctorates. ;)

Many aren't caught because the spam is in their profile and they never post to a thread, and the memberships of those caught are never deleted.

We've deleted them when it's obvious. Link in profile, no posts, member for a year but hasn't been back since a month after joining.

TBH, in the past we've gotten too bloodthirsty at times and started banning based on criteria other than breaking the rules (for spammers). We almost always end up executing someone who didn't deserve it.

I'd rather have a rule about ban-able behavior so it's not a judgement call on staff's part. How long is too long to remain dormant with a link in your profile?

Joke's over folks move along please...

BUT if you have a minute,
today only faulty facts now with 20% more anti-knowledge and i even got fraudulin. talk to me later.
100% relevance free. Never had it never will.
if you can't see the value here then clean out your ears, 'cause i got a little miracle to sell.
foolproof plan and airtight alibi included.
you think you know what a leader is? well i'm about to show you a new leader, a true leader, a leader like you've only dreamed about.
what's the biggest problem around your house? i bet it's pesky aliens am i right?
well this leader will make aliens dissappear like magic.
and i bet you can't stand those stubborn intellectuals taking all the fun out of teevee.
this leader can make them go away forever.
i know what you're thinking friends, it just can't be so easy.
but it is just that easy. even dummies like third world dictators can do it, and so can you.
gone - all those questions you can't answer any other way.
gone - disharmony and disorder
gone

all the details are listed in the package.