Die Hard Inacuracies

ed84c

After watching (2) last night i have come across the following innacuracies;

1.Dick points out that the planes are 50 yards away, then says "practically", surely he means literally?

2.People on the british plane are posh, were not ALL posh you know.

3.Some people on the british plane haev a connecting flight arranged, they seem happy and thankful about it, that is an unlikely responce for any nationaliy especially an englishman.

4.The hostess compares the airline to british rail, NO non-suicidle worker would EVER compare their buisness to British Rail.

I point these out as it is a sterotypical american look out on british people, and is incorrect.

Movies are wrong?!!!! HOW CAN THAT BE?!!!! I've based my entire thoughts and beliefs on other cultures and peoples based on what I see on TV and Film. Surely they cannot be lying to me! ;) [/end sarcasm. Please don't take my post as a jab. I was just trying to be funny. :D]

No my point his how americans portray us brits incorrectly, and i use the die hard example to point them out.

Your right they do, but it's only a sterotype for a film.

Out of curiosity (and this isn't trying to be funny), how would you have the british protrayed?

I know that when an Irish guy is protrayed in a film he's got the worst accent ever and he is always, always drunk!

You want brits to be thought of as eccentric people with emotional issues, suppressed by their wives and with a fetish for giving beats to people from Barcelona?????

There are quite a few films that portray us badly but there are just as many if not more that portray us well. For example how cool is James Bond??? and with British films getting more recognition than ever (italian job, trainspotting, bend it like beckham, bride and prejudice, lock stock, snatch, etc.) I don't think a small scene in die hard will do much harm.

I should think they see lots of TV over there too, including music artists, etc.

Hmmm i dont find it funny when american people stereotipe us, as "beaners" with mustache and resting in a cactus, MY GOD how can americans belive one would be stupid enough to rest in a cactus... after that, we are thought as stupids,etc,etc,etc.... and plus, that we love tequila because we produce it.... jez, i hate tequila (i love vodka) and plenty of my friends do.. hehehehe americans have a weird way to define people...

I am mexican in the case you didn't notice.

For example how cool is James Bond??? and with British films getting more recognition than ever (italian job, trainspotting, bend it like beckham, bride and prejudice, lock stock, snatch, etc.) I don't think a small scene in die hard will do much harm.

You forgot Shaun of the Dead ... great movie! :D

After watching (2) last night i have come across the following innacuracies;

1.Dick points out that the planes are 50 yards away' date=' then says "practically", surely he means literally?

3.Some people on the british plane haev a connecting flight arranged, they seem happy and thankful about it, that is an unlikely responce for any nationaliy especially an englishman.

4.The hostess compares the airline to british rail, NO non-suicidle worker would EVER compare their buisness to British Rail.

I point these out as it is a sterotypical american look out on british people, and is incorrect.[/quote']

maybe... but at least we know how to spell glorious. ;):P

Hmmm i dont find it funny when american people stereotipe us' date=' as "beaners" with mustache and resting in a cactus, MY GOD how can americans belive one would be stupid enough to rest in a cactus... after that, we are thought as stupids,etc,etc,etc.... and plus, that we love tequila because we produce it.... jez, i hate tequila (i love vodka) and plenty of my friends do.. hehehehe americans have a weird way to define people...

I am mexican in the case you didn't notice.[/quote']

who thinks mexicans would sit in a cactus? O.o

and who said its americans? everyone stereotypes people, thats a human thing, not an american thing.

MY GOD how can americans belive one would be stupid enough to rest in a cactus...
The resting stereotype comes from your famous siestas, which people should recognize as a very smart idea in your hot climate. I have never heard of the cactus bit.
plus, that we love tequila because we produce it.... jez, i hate tequila
I remember traveling to Greece and hearing the same thing about ouzo. Many Greeks can't stand it.

Regarding the OP, Hollywood movies need to have you make certain choices and conclusions about characters, otherwise exposition and character development takes too long. The stereotyping is deplorable only if you take it out of the theatre and into the real world.

Pangloss and I wish to know what "posh" means in this reference. Is it classy, stylish and fashionable or does it have a different meaning in the UK? I think having a stereotype of being classy is a good thing.

G'day mates. I wuz just avin a gander at this thread thingy and saw it's about stereotypes. So what if some people are flat out like a lizard drinkin tryin to use more than two fingers to type?

I'll have you lot know that we Aussies is a very learned and Philosophical nation.

Proof here.

IIRC, "Posh" was an old shipping term concerning passengers. It had something to do with giving 1st class a good view from their cabin. Their luggae was marked as "Port Out, Starboard Home". Or P.O.S.H.

AtomicMX, how can you not love Tequila? After getting a bottle of Jose Cuervo Family Reserve, I found it made my single malts taste like battery acid. Man that stuff is smooth. :)

Yeah .. like every culture isn't stereotiped by some form of entertainment.

True. Hey, even Americans are stereotyped. I actually laugh pretty hard when we are portrayed as rich, stupid pansies (not that all of us really are), but you really have to learn to laugh it off. Heck, there are stereotypes for people within individual states here.