How can two biology students group from different continents work together?

Sven94

Hey guys.

I need ideas as google isnt much of a friend or I just dont know what to look for. So if you have TWO student groups/organizations/associations about biology (Id concentrate on microbiology but anything works), on two different continents (in this case Europe and North America), what are ways those two can work together, besides sharing ideas? Are there any ways? I'd really like to spread connections, allow myself and others to meet other people to share and explore ideas.
Joined projects would be awesome but Im not sure how that would work out, so if anyone has LITERALLY ANY ideas, please do share.

Also sorry if this is in the wrong section, no idea where to put (just please keep it out of the general faq thread, if possible :D )

Anyway, that's it, thanks for any help! :)

Hi,

well... I guess it depends on the educational background of individuals and the outcomes you want to have.

I don't actually understand, if you already have the group of people, or are just trying to find someone?

Since I don't have enough information, I'll just post my random thoughts, we can discuss it later :)

Besides sharing ideas, the two groups can actually compete for example. I really like this method of learning. Give them a measurable objective (e.g. who will write the most articles on wikipedia (meaningful articles) in their language/about the topic of their team... ). Joint project could work too... Since they live in different regions, I would suggest also the microflore there is different, so why not to focus on that? Choose people to groups at random, and make sure they work as a team, so they would have to communicate with their groupmates.

I have, or to be more specific, am in a group of people. We have some resources and some experience with projects. The other group has a bit less experience a bit more resources (guessing). I'd personally like to expand my network and meet new people and possibilities, and am pretty sure such cooperation would hurt either groups. We are mostly undergrad and grad students. Main goal is to gain experience and learn, minor goal being to expand connections and simply gain experience in the social aspect. (being able to communicate and organize with strangers with same interests, if you get me).

I am in Croatia, the other group is in New York (not stopping there though :) ).

Yeah the first thing that came to my mind was comparison of microflora (e.g. microflora in stray animals fecal matter, random). I am sure that are tons of possibilities our system is to memorize more and think less, so thats pretty much the main problem when trying to think of possible projects and whatnot.

Another thing is, I am not sure how to make comparison of things like microflora relevant. What could be the point of a research paper based on the comparison of microflora of a certain place/area/organism?

Also thanks for the suggestion! I appreciate any ideas and advices :)

Depends quite a bit on what you have access to. However, there tons of possibilities in terms of data modeling/analysis that can be split up either way (a field/lab group to do analyses, a data analysis group to investigate the data etc.). Or share the same system/organism and do complementary experiments.

Basically, tons of research activities are decentralized but it may be tricky to organize it on the student level.

Another thing is, I am not sure how to make comparison of things like microflora relevant. What could be the point of a research paper based on the comparison of microflora of a certain place/area/organism?

At first, you could describe the microflora in an organism in some area, then try to find some kind of evolutionary/migrational and ecological explanation for these differences. I think it might be too complicated though for undergrad students. :/

CharonY,

I was going to say Im not sure if that'd work, but that is actually an interesting idea. As in, one group could do the research, and the other could analyze the data gained and forwarded to the other group from the first group. However I am not sure how that could be executed so if you have ideas on that too feel free to share.

I hope I dont sound stupid. Most of my classes were "general biology", "general microbiology", "general this and that", so I have to do a research on my won before doing anything, that's why Im so open and fond of suggestions :D

At first, you could describe the microflora in an organism in some area, then try to find some kind of evolutionary/migrational and ecological explanation for these differences. I think it might be too complicated though for undergrad students. :/

Well I am sure that out professors and mentors could help us go into details. The evolution would be a great topic, but might be a bit farfetched considering the distance between Croatia and USA, I'd either have to contact a lot of people in between to see what they got in their countries, or come up with weird theories why something has or hasnt changed so much. Still a great idea tho!

Edited by Sven94

what are ways those two can work together, besides sharing ideas? Are there any ways?

Loads of ways. Really depends on how much you can spend

You can store data on a central server so everybody can view it.

You can boot operating systems from a central server.

You can make calls and send messages, videoconferencing etc.

You can manage robots, fly drones, take aerial photographs.

Track your position via satellite

Track your animals via satellite

Receive telemetry data about yourself to satellite. So the person on the other side can tell if your heart stopped or you were trapped in a storm.

Etc

what are ways those two can work together, besides sharing ideas? Are there any ways?

Loads of ways. Really depends on how much you can spend

You can store data on a central server so everybody can view it.

You can boot operating systems from a central server.

You can make calls and send messages, videoconferencing etc.

You can manage robots, fly drones, take aerial photographs.

Track your position via satellite

Track your animals via satellite

Receive telemetry data about yourself to satellite. So the person on the other side can tell if your heart stopped or you were trapped in a storm.

Etc

I am not sure if you misunderstood me or just idk, whatever you're doing. Not sure what that has to do with anything biology related?

I am not sure if you misunderstood me or just idk, whatever you're doing. Not sure what that has to do with anything biology related.

Let's say you were on a boat studying coral. I would be able to store data you gather on the mainland. Be able to tell if you got sick. Be able to tell where your boat was. Have a fairly reasonable idea of where your boat should be if you sank. Also because data isn't only stored on the ship you don't lose your pictures etc if your equipment gets destroyed.

Or let's say you go walking in the woods and get bit by a spider by reading your telemetry you can narrow down what spider could have bit you.

Or maybe you go climb a mountain. We could tell how cold you are. Whether you were getting enough oxygen. Where you were on the mountain approximately. How high up the mountain you were. Etc.

Edited by fiveworlds

I am not sure if you misunderstood me or just idk, whatever you're doing. Not sure what that has to do with anything biology related.

Let's say you were on a boat studying coral. I would be able to store data you gather on the mainland. Be able to tell if you got sick. Be able to tell where your boat was. Have a fairly reasonable idea of where your boat should be if you sank. Also because data isn't only stored on the ship you don't lose your pictures etc if your equipment gets destroyed.

Oh, ok. I think I get it, although not exactly what I had in mind. That's kinda farfetched lol. And not sure if you'd know if I was sick from the data I collected about corals(?) lol. Thanks anyway :)

And not sure if you'd know if I was sick from the data I collected about corals.

No from your telemetry readings. We can tell heart rate, blood pressure, blood oxygen content, how hot or cold you are etc. We can also tell if your ship has capsized.

It might seem far fetched but some biologists get to use nuclear submarines to study under artic ice. So I don't think a budget is involved.

Edited by fiveworlds