Clara Tanone - Q4: Do females or males make better nurses?

Clara Tanone

The perception that society has is that females are more suited to the occupation of being a nurse but what are the a latest scientific evidence suggesting? What's the general concensus?

Why is it that males are paid more as nurses despite the field being female dominated? Are males typically pulling more hours at work or is it gender discrimination?

If you were male, would you ever consider becoming a nurse?

If you were a patient, would you feel uncomfortable if a nurse who is male treated you instead of a female?

What has been making it harder for males to enter into the profession?

Do male nurses get paid more on average? I've not seen any stats to suggest this - have you? My experience though is that male nurses disproportionately occupy senior roles: i've served under 6 matrons: 4 male, 2 female. I'm not sure how representative this is. Occupying senior roles could explain higher average wages: assuming this is true.

I was a male nurse until recently.

Some patients express a preference for a nurse of a certain sex for certain things. This is accommodated as much as possible, but as the profession is still female dominated, patients get their preference for male nurses less often.

My experience is that more men are entering the profession, implying it is easier for men to enter the profession.

I'd be interested in seeing the stats behind your questions.

Why is it that males are paid more as nurses despite the field being female dominated?

I would imagine that would be because of the discrimination that male nurses get only the ones that really want to work as a nurse would ever put up with it.

Comments include.
The patients - "hello doctor"
And
College staff - "how you get on in your pervious year of college?"

Oh let's not forget a man is a "male nurse"
But a woman is just a "nurse" as if because you're a guy they need to refer to your gender when talking about you.

But that doesn't change the fact that the first nursing school was founded in 250BC in India and only taught men.

Notable nurses were

St. Benedict or Benedict of Nursia - Founder of the Benedictine nursing order

Brother Gerard - Founder of the Order of Malta, which is claimed to be the foundation of the knights hospitaller

St. Camillus de Lellis - First person to use the symbol of the red cross developer of the first ambulance service and founder of the order of clerics regular or camillians. He also founded a group of health care assistants who would help soldiers on the battlefield

friar juan de mena - The first American nurse

Jean Henry Dunant - Founder of the international red cross humanitarian movement and winner of the first Nobel prize ever http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1901/address.html

In fact nursing was almost completely male dominated until Florence nightingale and if you look up founder of nursing you will get her name but nursing existed far before her. There exists this reference from 1665 where women 'nurses' were paid by an organization who painted a red cross on the door of a confirmed plague victim. http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/stuart-england/the-plague-of-1665/

Edited by fiveworlds

Why did you choose to leave the profession?

I'll be happy to answer that question, for whatever it is worth, once you have answered mine:

Do male nurses get paid more on average? I've not seen any stats to suggest this - have you?

I'd be interested in seeing the stats behind your questions.