hips pregnatcy

thenewmadmax

i herd somewhere that when i grl becomes pregnat, her hips grow apart to acomadate the baby inside, does this really happen? if so how, i thoguht the pelvis was one big bone that once puberty hit, it was just about done growing. and does it shrink after cause if it didnt, wouldnt that mean all mothers should have 40" thighs?

It's composed of 3 bones, the illium, ischium and pubis. The same 3 in all terrestrial vertebrates.

In fact, the division of the two major groups of dinosaurs is based on the relative position of these bones.

Mokele

the hips also break to allow growth' date=' or weaken so that they can break during the actual birth itself. i cant remember which.[/quote']

That's not correct - the pelvis consists of several bones that are connected by ligaments. As the uterus enlarges, the ligaments stretch.

i thought that the hips broke, leaving scars called 'scarsof partition', and i thought that was how archaeologists told if a scelooton was female, from if it had these scars on the hip?

i thought that the hips broke, leaving scars called 'scarsof partition', and i thought that was how archaeologists told if a scelooton was female, from if it had these scars on the hip?

From Pub Med, here...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=677299&dopt=Abstract

A re-examination of parturition scars on the human female pelvis.

Holt CA.

Pits, cavities and depressions located on the dorsal surface of the pubic symphysis of females have been attributed to the trauma of parturition. Earlier research based on human skeletal remains provides inadequate information on the individual's obstetrical history. The 68 female pubic bones that were studied had comprehensive medical records indicating whether or not each female had given birth. Fourteen and one-half percent of the females who had not given birth exhibited trace to small scarring of the pubic symphysis and 23.4% of the females who had not given birth exhibited medium to large scarring. It is suggested that bony changes previously used as an indicator of child bearing must be re-examined in light of the fact that "birth scarring" has been found in women known not to have had children.

At any rate, "pits, cavities and depressions" wouldn't indicate a bone had been broken. You have to remember that a person with a broken hip would not be able to walk.

Does anyone think that aside from the utility in accomodating a pathway for birth, the hips provide a sociological signal to others that a female is maternal and has reached motherhood? I ask this because while there are obvious (and numerous) cases where you cannot tell a woman is a mother, sometimes the female body provides physical clues. No snobbish bashing of my thread please.