Evolution of Himalayas and Tibet, and the Great Volcano

jibz

Evolution of Himalayas and Tibet, and the Great Volcano

Here's an article on Evolution of Himalayas and Tibet and formation of the existing continental plates, which proposes some major twist in the existing theories regarding Plate Techtonics. It needs to be submitted before reputed Organizations or Scientists for open discussion, further exploration, approval and acceptance.

The essence of the proposal can be quoted as "Himalayas and Tibetan Plateau was not formed due to the collision of the said plates but due to a huge and massive volcanic eruption and the entire Tibetan plateau is the huge Volcanic Crater formed due to the eruption. The Volcano was so massive that the lava had flown to the sea at a thickness averaging 4-5 kilometers, bending or crushing the then existed earth crust. The Lava had flown through the sides of the crater except through the Himalayan ranges and the Indian subcontinent had not got buried under the Volcanic Lava. The Himalayan Ranges is the South side of the volcanic crater and this portion had not been overtopped by the Lava from the eruption."

for further reading of the full illustrative article use the following link

Link to the file : - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwLXWNjyXjnVV0M0NENZOTFrRFJTNzZCUzJYM2NQY1NDYXB3/view?usp=sharing

I have been unable to open yopur link on older systems and newer ones reject download of your the pdf as unsafe.

However I can read it online and I see that it contains some glaring chronological errors.

How can one eruption simultaneously wipe out the dinosaurs and bury ancient Indian civilisations?

These events were separated over (edit 250 million) millions of years in time.

You are however correct that there is much evidence that the fomation of the Himalaya and Tibetan Plateau is much more complicated than a simple collision between plates and that vulcanism from reheated rocks produced lava eruptions. Furhter the Tibetan Plateau appears to have originated as the ocean floor of the Tethys ocean and been uplifted. The current theory is that the mountain chain root was so deep it melted and separated downwards, allowing the upper mountain body to bob up.

Edited by studiot

Thank you sir,

With my limited knowledge, I just tried to convey the evidences of Volcanic activity that had caused in the formation of continental plates, Tibet and the Himalayas. Further acceptance of the theory and linking the same with timeline of evolution of earth has to be done after detailed research and brainstorming debates. Further more the claim of said volcanic activity doesn't deny upliftment of Tethys ocean floor, as the same may had happened as part of volcanic activity.

You should research papers by the following geologists.

Jean-Philippe Avouac (Cambridge)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=jean-philippe+avouac+cambridge&hl=en-GB&biw=&bih=&gbv=2&oq=jean-philippe+avouac+&gs_l=heirloom-serp.1.0.0l3j0i22i30.3313.4032.0.6172.5.5.0.0.0.0.78.390.5.5.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-serp..0.5.390.2xuuHcufdEM

Philip England (Oxford)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=philip+england+geology&hl=en-GB&biw=&bih=&gbv=2&oq=philip+england&gs_l=heirloom-serp.1.2.0l2j0i22i30l8.75704.80829.0.85641.14.13.0.1.1.0.265.1532.4j8j1.13.0....0...1ac.1.34.heirloom-serp..0.14.1563.HzMkO7zvC5s

Who are (the) leading researchers in this field.

The BBC produced a program about this with lots of computer simulations.

Unfortunately I don't think it is availble in India, though it may be on youtube.

Look for Earth Story (episode 4 I think)

There is also a book and a DVD made by the BBC for this.

The BBC material will be a little less technical than the boffins.

Edited by studiot

Thank you sir,

I got those videos from youtube and are very informative. I think formation of Himalayas and Tibet can be linked and explained in a betteerway through the new theory. However I shall go through those research papers and share my views in this regard.

First of all, creation of Tibetan plateau through a collision of continental plates and volcanism are not mutually exclusive. It is a normal situation for converging plate boundaries to develop volcanism specifically on the side in which direction the oceanic plate is being subducted. As subduction goes, oceanic plate partially melts and the molten magma raises up due to its buoyancy and then normally finds its way to the surface through faults created as a result of stress. Although, in the situation with Himalayas and Tibet, volcanism precluded formation of the mountains and overlapped with orogeny only slightly, because Tethys ocean was completely closed about 50 mya and a couple million years after that the last bits of oceanic crust would have sunk into the mantle and no longer contribute to volcanism.

Secondly, the paper attached doesn't specify the location of presumed "giant volcanic crater" and I've been looking on Google maps and can't find one.

Thirdly, plate tectonics on this planet is not very supportive of forming long-term giant volcanoes. Due to plate moving relative to one another and varying angle of subduction over time (it normally starts shallow and finishes very steeply) the location of partial melting zone moves with respect the overlaying continental crust from further inland towards the converging boundary. You can see this in modern day Kamchatka, Russia. Older volcanic ranges (dormant) are further west (inland) and all the active ones are along the eastern coast.

And lastly, the paper says "The lava had flown through the sides of the crater except through Himalayan ranges", but large-scale volcanism could not happen AFTER the Himalayan range has formed, because by that time all remainder of the ocean plate is long gone and there is no source for magma. Then volcanism would have to mostly happen BEFORE the range had formed and then it would overlay other deposits and then we'd see extrusive rocks on top of Mt. Everest, rather than limestone, dolomite and marble.

EDIT:

Oh, and two more points. What the paper or rather the abstract describes can mostly be understood as a shield volcano which is highly unlikely to form on a continent in the absence of "hot spot". Subductive volcanism on a continental plate generally has magma ranging from andesitic to rhyolitic which results in explosive eruptions that produce little lava, but a lot of tuff and breccia.

Also, what the paper describes is not a theory but a hypothesis. If it were a theory it would have to include a lot more of important independently verified data, such as correlated stratigraphy columns, that show the extent of presumed lava flow, extrusive rock samples from various areas that have been dated using radiometric methods and much more.

Edited by pavelcherepan

What is important when discussing very chronologically distant and dependent geological events is their exact location on a moving and dynamic planetary surface when these events are perceived to be related and to have occurred.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deccan_Traps

The Deccan Traps began forming 66.250 million years ago, at the end of the Cretaceous period. The bulk of the volcanic eruption occurred at the Western Ghats (near Mumbai) some 66 million years ago. This series of eruptions may have lasted less than 30,000 years in total.[3]

post-88603-0-46669800-1445200692_thumb.gif

As you can see India was not subducting or even in the initial stages of contact with Southern Asia.

Thank you Sir, for your valuable inputs and comments.

The proposed volcanic activity can’t be fully linked or supposed to be linked to the theory of Plate Tectonics as this is entirely new theory/proposal.

It’s true that what I have tried to illustrate through the paper is not a theory but the findings I come across while searching and exploring around for the facts and evidences of the theory of Plate Tectonics. Now in the case of Mars for example, Science has accepted visible evidences through satellite pictures to establish the presence of water, and I feel that the visible evidences from Google images giving global view is sufficient in a better way than going to minute details to find out the ways of formation of earth. Rock samples and soil structure research data of almost all Geographically important locations on Earth is now available, and only needed is to check whether we can fit or correlate these data with the proposed volcanic activity from Tibet and subsequent formation/re shaping of the continental plates.

Formation of Deccan traps can be explained in a better way, through the Great volcanic activity. These mountain masses contain layers of metamorphic rocks, igneous rock boulders/rock mass of volcanic origin and top soil. These might had got carried away from the burst out crest during the initial explosions of the said volcano along with volcanic lava. The Western Ghats extents to the southern end of India and it is associated with small isolated hillocks, mountain folds– from the top of the Ghats to the sea shore - containing small to huge rock boulders of volcanic origin, some places mixed with sedimentary or metamorphic rocks. The occurrence of such widespread existence of volcanic boulders exposed/embedded in/mixed with soil mass of sedimentary or metamorphic origin leads to the inference that these rock and soil mass seems to had been fallen off from the Great volcanic eruption, and we have to keep in mind the magnitude of the eruption forming a crater of 1500km wide. The last picture of splashed out lava spread on the ocean floor is a proof to my argument as it extends to 2500 km and height of about 2.50km.

Expeditions in this regard may be proposed to establish whether these mounts and the volcanic contents of the entire Western Ghats are from any localized volcanic activity throughout the Indian subcontinent or fallen off from somewhere else.

However a positive approach, and sharing of ideas, knowledge and views from all, is invited in this regard to establish and understand the reality, which could help in predicting the future in a better way.

Thank you.

The proposed volcanic activity can’t be fully linked or supposed to be linked to the theory of Plate Tectonics as this is entirely new theory/proposal.

Then this discussion should be in Speculations forum.

Now in the case of Mars for example, Science has accepted visible evidences through satellite pictures to establish the presence of water, and I feel that the visible evidences from Google images giving global view is sufficient in a better way than going to minute details to find out the ways of formation of earth.

Also there's been drilling, rock sampling, spectral analysis and whole heap of other studies done on Mars to confirm the presence of water. Also, would you please attach a Google map image showing the supposed volcanic crater or give coordinates of it?

The last picture of splashed out lava spread on the ocean floor is a proof to my argument as it extends to 2500 km and height of about 2.50km.

What picture are you talking about? Lava formations coming onto the ocean floor are generally referred to as "pillow lavas", because they do look like pillows. So your discussion of volcanic eruption onto the ocean floor must be supported by examples of known pillow lavas in the region with thicknesses of several kilometers as you assume. There are some pillow lavas in the northern part of India, but at most those are several meters thick and discontinuous.

Nur05018.jpg

Edited by pavelcherepan

Welcome dear friend,

There is some problem with uploading of the image of the crater, and the image of the crater of Great volcano can be viewed through the link shown below

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwLXWNjyXjnVX2pjY0psaDRMM0pWTWZrX3RubEI2TEhsUFln/view?usp=sharing

The image of splashed lava on the ocean floor is shown as second image on page 6 of the attached article and the image can be viewed through the link shown as

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwLXWNjyXjnVbWcwZ29BZ1lDNGc/view?usp=sharing

it is so massive having an extent of 2500km and a height of 2 to 2.5 km, and it must be splashed out from the Great volcano.

Thank you

I see not evidence of a crater within your boundary or even that the rocks are from the same geological eras.

Have you compared your map with geological maps of the area for example,

post-74263-0-03185400-1445370842_thumb.jpg

Are the rocks within your boundary the sort you expect to see within an old volacanic crater?

The proposed volcanic activity can’t be fully linked or supposed to be linked to the theory of Plate Tectonics as this is entirely new theory/proposal.[/size]

So on what basis does your new "theory" reside other than the hunches that you have based on the cherry picked observations made by your untrained eye?