Glue challenge

OK, I have a NIB magnet attached to a piece of steel using an acrylate based adhesive as shown:

NIBconfusing1.jpg

I mean, that is what it looks like, you can't see the glue or anything!

I want to remove the NIB magnet from the steel backing... but the glue is strong, how can I do it?

I do not wish to ruin the magnet, so that rules out extreme heat, hammers, explosives etc!

thats the magnet you find inside a harddrive. they are infact attached, not just holding on. they are very powerful, but not powerful enough that you cant slide them around on that metal. methods i have used come down to brute force and leverage. if you use a screwdriver and use a part of the metal that sticks up as a fulcrum you can pry some of them off. there are some i never managed to get though.

(they have to be attached because in side the harddrive there are two of them facing each other with opposite ends next to each other, so they have to be attached with something stronger than the combined forces of the magnets)

2 pair of pliers, grab either end of the metal backing plate and bend it like a `U` (not that exagerated though).

the magnet is stronger and will not bend, but the glue will crack :)

that`s how I do all of mine and I`ve never broken one yet :)

Nice idea YT, I will try that tomorrow when I can get a 2nd pair of pliers (only have one at home).

There was always the obvious solution of stick something in the gap and force, but that gap is very small, something that thin would probably break, I was going to have to resort to sanding a screwdriver and trying it, but I think YT's idea is better!

Thanks, will post tomorrow with the result :)

2 pair of pliers' date=' grab either end of the metal backing plate and bend it like a `U` (not that exagerated though).

the magnet is stronger and will not bend, but the glue will crack :)

that`s how I do all of mine and I`ve never broken one yet :)[/quote']

yt... your a friggin genius.

i have like 6 that i never managed to pry off, ill have to give that a try.

now... what do use them for? (i hear one of their best applications is inside your hardrive making the head move back and forth :P )

What, what do you use powerful magnets for?

Rail guns, magnetic accelerators, ferrofluid, attracting money ;), discovering strange magnetic shielding properites (see the antiferromagnetism thread, do a search).

how do you figure? im sure with a powerful enough magnet you could move any metal, but american money doesnt have enough magnatism for any magnet you and i can get.

Yes, it does. Take a $1 bill and fold it into a C shape. Then put it on a hard surface and bring a magnet near it. The bill will move slightly. They are printed with ferromagnetic ink.

... As was I :confused::rolleyes::P:cool:

Anyway, I did this [magnet/metal seperation] today.

It involved a steel clamp, a pair of pliers, a hammer and a lot of brute strength!

I mean, thats like 4mm thick steel!

It came off, there was slight damage to the magnet in that, you know its coated in a silvery coating, a big lump of that came off to reveal the magnet below, I'm hoping it won't oxidise or anything, just wondering why it is covered in such a thin layer, whatever, most of the bottom of the magnet has that covering layer removed, it's still just as strong.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RoubraB

Can I hijack this thread with another glue question?

You can use acetone to unstick superglue but, is it possible to dissolve an epoxy adeshive such as araldite?

Preferably without also dissolving the things that are stuck together!

• 4 weeks later...