Anyone here using Windows 10?

studiot

Since my windows XP is getting increasingly difficult to use I thought I would try 10.

Great for the first week then

File explorer 'lost' several important folders I had recently created.

Instead it concentrated on showing me all sorts of rubbish I didn't ask for and don't want.

Surely the point of a file / folder listing program is to list files?

Edited by studiot

Thanks for the advice and link, Endy. +1

The setting was indeed Quick access.

However changing this did not properly cure it.

For instance on the desktop there are 3 shortcuts, but it persistently only reports one of them.

Edited by studiot

File explorer 'lost' several important folders I had recently created.

Instead it concentrated on showing me all sorts of rubbish I didn't ask for and don't want.

Surely the point of a file / folder listing program is to list files?

The best file explorer was Directory Opus 5 for AmigaOS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directory_Opus

(before v5 it looked like GUI-like Norton Commander, forget these versions)

The all explorers built-in Windows are really crap, in comparison to it.

I really miss DOpus 5, whenever I have to do any file manipulation on my disks..

DOpus exists for Windows since v6. But it's somewhat different than v5 Magellan.

This feature to call batch operation on selected files seems interesting around 11 minute of video.

Also cool to see preview of .txt file after hovering file by mouse.

Heh, after opening file by some process, and trying to delete file, DOpus is showing which process locked file, so you know what to shut-down and then retry delete.. Cool feature.. :)

Edited by Sensei

• 3 weeks later...

I too am still using Windows XP. I tried Windows 10 on my PC and could not find any advantages - but plenty of pain!

It may be a swell operating system for touch-screen tablets and smart phones.

Why are you finding XP "increasingly difficult to use" ? If you are forced to switch for some tasks, I suggest that you keep your XP computer operational and have a new Windows 10 device running alongside.

• 3 weeks later...

i would recommend Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 Since when Microsoft released the new version of windows it was not finished and still Stuff happening in the insider program right now. Windows 10 is unstable in my experience with my Dell Inspiron 15 5547 i flashed the latest BIOS Factory Reset the BIOS Change the Drive.

But my Windows 10 Almost killed my laptop since it would not shutdown at night and i will need to hard shutdown (Which Means holding down the power button for 10sec) or it will continue to create heat which almost killed me in my sleep since my room is really warm and adding the laptop heat it is too much and also the monitor started not working properly after the overheat overnight and the computer battery freaks out randomly saying 879 Hours for 100% then 40 Hours for 7% ._.

then when i phone up Microsoft and also them they deny windows 10 is not a stable OS but (Really they lied to someone that was in the insider program Epic Fail) i contacted dell and they said windows 10 does this so then i bought a copy of Windows 7 Professional and installed it no issue and it runs like butter and does not want to kill me in my sleep :D OOps i think went alittle off topic but i did loss some important files too on my main computer

I too am still using Windows XP. I tried Windows 10 on my PC and could not find any advantages - but plenty of pain!

It may be a swell operating system for touch-screen tablets and smart phones.

Why are you finding XP "increasingly difficult to use" ? If you are forced to switch for some tasks, I suggest that you keep your XP computer operational and have a new Windows 10 device running alongside.

I would not keep using XP. As it is no longer supported it will have unpatched vulnerabiltiies. Upgrade to Windows 7 (if you can still find a copy).

I would not keep using XP. As it is no longer supported it will have unpatched vulnerabiltiies. Upgrade to Windows 7 (if you can still find a copy).

I suspect most professional hackers no longer support XP hacks. Free antivirus seems entirely adequate to block attacks.

As there is around a ten minute window between Microsoft removing enough bugs for an OS to be usable and ending support for the OS I only upgrade when I have to.

I have tried 10 or 11 on a friend's rarely used computer for software whose main enhancement is XP incompatibility.

I enjoy a leisurely toast and coffee while it's booting and installing upgrades and rebooting and giving and sometimes cancelling security warnings.

• 2 months later...

I'm probably a bit late in replying to this topic but here it is anyway:

Everyone should upgrade to Windows 10.

I have wanted the world to head in the direction that Microsoft is now coming to realise is a better way to have everyone move forward...

Having everyone that uses Windows on the exact same version, the same updates etc. will better allow for developers to produce better quality content and without having to constantly check for compatibility issues with their software before releasing it to the Windows Store - Which is where Microsoft is really doing all the hard work, making it more enticing for developers to make Windows Apps which can be used on a variety of devices.

Eventually Microsoft will be putting Windows 10 on a subscription based model, similar to that of their Office 365. This is a smart move on their behalf, and also helps out smaller businesses & home users alike.

Instead of spending 1 lump sum of money to buy windows, users will pay a much smaller ongoing monthly fee to use Windows.

This has the following advantages: For businesses, they can claim it as an operating expense and reduce the amount of tax they pay, it also helps to plan/budget outgoing costs.

For home users or students, the same can apply depending on what you use Windows for, again the lower monthly cost is more attractive & affordable by the larger population.

For Microsoft the advantage is clear, their revenue stream will be consistent, it will generate a more even and predictable cash flow.

It is true that Windows 10 is not a "complete" Operation System as of yet, but there are a bunch of very useful and welcomed "under the hood" tweaks which greatly improve the security & performance of the system compared to any previous version of Windows.

Another smart move by Microsoft is allowing a certain amount of the public to become part of their testing team, to use millions of technical minded users & their systems as a testing bed for the latest updates or patches before it gets released to the general public. This allows us to provide feedback in relation to every aspect of Windows, not only do they find "bugs" faster with many minds looking into each new update, but they also allow us to offer suggestion to improve on any part of the system.

With everyone in the world that uses Windows being on the exact same version with forced updates to ensure that everyone is using the latest updates etc. Microsoft can concentrate their support and development efforts on just that Operating System, which will also be extremely attractive to anyone who wants to make Games or Apps for Windows, knowing that what they develop will be useable on everyone's system & will also be offered to a much wider audience than was previously possible, allowing the Game or App maker to generate more interest & income, it also takes some of the testing and cross-platform coding requirements off the developer, which saves them time & money.

Microsoft will be releasing another major update to Windows 10 later this month, which will include all the new features and bug fixes that we have all been working on.

Windows 10 will also be "The final Operating System" - It will forever be dynamically changing, slowly morphing & improving over time into a newer Operating System that many years from now might not be too similar to the initial release of Windows 10.

With everyone paying a monthly fee, there is no need to worry about upgrading or "forking out" a bunch of money to have the latest thing, everyone will get it at the same time (after being tested by a world-wide team consisting of about a million people on all kinds of different hardware to ensure the quality/stability of the latest updates).

I have personally tested Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, many different variants of Linux, all at the same time (multi-boot) on the same systems to do a stability and performance (including start up & shutdown times) comparison.

Windows 10 is indeed faster than the rest at shutting down & starting up even on much older systems, we are still working on improving the performance aspects of many applications within Windows 10, it will only get better as time goes on. ;)

The new Edge browser is also approx. 33% faster than chrome and even faster than that when compared to Firefox or Internet Explorer... However it still has some random web site and some flash & javascript coding issues which will make the browser hang or go super slow, with the next update it shall be better, still not perfect, but better than it is now for everyone using Windows 10 already.

Having everyone that uses Windows on the exact same version, the same updates etc. will better allow for developers to produce better quality content and without having to constantly check for compatibility issues with their software

That's not possible. Each desktop PC and laptop is different.

Different hardware, thus different drivers installed, and different software installed.

In my apps I don't recall serious issues with different OS version, other than not being able to use unavailable functions (which means unable to even run app, with unresolved DLL entry (if they are static linked) ).

There would have to be made one desktop, one laptop, one OS, for your words to be true (like in game console industry).

Compatibility issues are inevitable as drivers manufacturers are not Microsoft usually.

And even if they are MS, they are not one person that know everything.

Corporations, are complete nightmare for anybody wanting to do with them, or to fix something in their software..

They have no bloody idea what they are doing (as they are thousands of people), who is doing, what is doing, lack of (or bad) communication, constant flow of employees, in and out.

before releasing it to the Windows Store - Which is where Microsoft is really doing all the hard work, making it more enticing for developers to make Windows Apps which can be used on a variety of devices.

Nobody is forced nor encouraged to place their desktop software on Windows Store (unlike Apple Store for iPhone apps)

Software that runs on PC, won't run on mobile phone. And vice versa.

Eventually Microsoft will be putting Windows 10 on a subscription based model, similar to that of their Office 365. This is a smart move on their behalf, and also helps out smaller businesses & home users alike.

They wish to do. That's good only to Microsoft.

This has the following advantages: [..]

For home users or students,

There is no advantage for users.

For Microsoft the advantage is clear, their revenue stream will be consistent, it will generate a more even and predictable cash flow.

They wish everybody on the world have to pay them per-month..

It is true that Windows 10 is not a "complete" Operation System as of yet, but there are a bunch of very useful and welcomed "under the hood" tweaks which greatly improve the security & performance of the system compared to any previous version of Windows.

For example, what security improvement do you have in mind?

For example, what performance improvement do you have in mind?

Another smart move by Microsoft is allowing a certain amount of the public to become part of their testing team, to use millions of technical minded users & their systems as a testing bed for the latest updates or patches before it gets released to the general public. This allows us to provide feedback in relation to every aspect of Windows, not only do they find "bugs" faster with many minds looking into each new update, but they also allow us to offer suggestion to improve on any part of the system.

If there is 1 million of people suggesting something,

vote of 1 of them has 1 per million "power",

meaning it will the most likely be ignored.

Microsoft will be releasing another major update to Windows 10 later this month, which will include all the new features and bug fixes that we have all been working on.

You have been working on Windows 10?

Right.

Then no surprise you advertise it..

I bet, if I will ask the basic question about programming Windows C/C++, you won't be able to answer.. ;)

Similar like with physics/quantum physics questions.

Windows 10 is indeed faster than the rest at shutting down & starting up even on much older systems, we are still working on improving the performance aspects of many applications within Windows 10, it will only get better as time goes on. ;)

Try f.e. booting up Amithlon on any Intel x86 1 GHz+ machine..

The faster CPU are build, the more lazy programmers become.

Or companies hiring them, the less demanding.

Edited by Sensei

Many PCs, even very new ones, can't be upgraded to Windows 10 because the manufacturers haven't produced the necessary drivers. (Yes, Sony, I'm looking at you.) The continuous pestering to upgrade is rather annoying when you know it will break your machine.

I'm probably a bit late in replying to this topic but here it is anyway:

Everyone should upgrade to Windows 10.

I have wanted the world to head in the direction that Microsoft is now coming to realise is a better way to have everyone move forward...

Windows 10 is a terrible OS. It is a nice bloat box, running at idle using about 1.5 GiB of ram. Thats inexcusable. Just because system hardware is getting better, doesn't mean you can get lazy with your programming. I also don't like the idea of all the privacy violations that Microsoft enjoys having. Windows 10 has a built in keylogger for you people that don't know. Its supposedly to help with their spell checking, but considering that Windows 10 is a NSA box, I wouldn't believe that in the entirety.

Having everyone that uses Windows on the exact same version, the same updates etc. will better allow for developers to produce better quality content and without having to constantly check for compatibility issues with their software before releasing it to the Windows Store - Which is where Microsoft is really doing all the hard work, making it more enticing for developers to make Windows Apps which can be used on a variety of devices.

Hmm... Everything should be backwards compatible. If you are actually a good programmer, this shouldn't be a problem. The Windows Store is retarded, just another sales pitch so Microsoft can get their greedy hands on more money then they already have.

Instead of spending 1 lump sum of money to buy windows, users will pay a much smaller ongoing monthly fee to use Windows.

This has the following advantages: For businesses, they can claim it as an operating expense and reduce the amount of tax they pay, it also helps to plan/budget outgoing costs.

For home users or students, the same can apply depending on what you use Windows for, again the lower monthly cost is more attractive & affordable by the larger population.

Putting the Windows operating system on a subscription based model is another nice way to screw over the users and milk them for more money. When I buy something, I just want to buy it once. I guess it is a smaller fee in the short run, but having a monthly fee, will make it so in the long run the users are spending A LOT more money then they would have if they just spent the money once.

With everyone in the world that uses Windows being on the exact same version with forced updates to ensure that everyone is using the latest updates etc. Microsoft can concentrate their support and development efforts on just that Operating System, which will also be extremely attractive to anyone who wants to make Games or Apps for Windows, knowing that what they develop will be useable on everyone's system & will also be offered to a much wider audience than was previously possible, allowing the Game or App maker to generate more interest & income, it also takes some of the testing and cross-platform coding requirements off the developer, which saves them time & money.

Hmm... Back in the day you payed people to bug test your software. These days, just throw out an unfinished product, and make people use it. What you don't understand, is there are a lot more security vulnerabilities doing it the way you do. Throwing "patches" over a problem doesn't really fix it; you should have done it right the first time.

Oh, yah, and forced updates. Yep, I guess big brother Microsoft knows whats best. Lets just fill up my hard drive with a bunch of patches and crap. And when Windows gets super unstable because of how hacked up it is in the future, it won't matter. Microsoft knows best.

Windows 10 will also be "The final Operating System" - It will forever be dynamically changing, slowly morphing & improving over time into a newer Operating System that many years from now might not be too similar to the initial release of Windows 10.

With everyone paying a monthly fee, there is no need to worry about upgrading or "forking out" a bunch of money to have the latest thing, everyone will get it at the same time (after being tested by a world-wide team consisting of about a million people on all kinds of different hardware to ensure the quality/stability of the latest updates).

Lol, it won't be the finial OS.... Lets just say that.

Oh, and I will be forking out a bunch of money to keep up to date. Did you forget I'm paying a monthly fee?(That you will raise every year due to excuses of inflation, etc)

I have personally tested Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10, many different variants of Linux, all at the same time (multi-boot) on the same systems to do a stability and performance (including start up & shutdown times) comparison.

The new Edge browser is also approx. 33% faster than chrome and even faster than that when compared to Firefox or Internet Explorer... However it still has some random web site and some flash & javascript coding issues which will make the browser hang or go super slow, with the next update it shall be better, still not perfect, but better than it is now for everyone using Windows 10 already.

Hmm... One thing you forgot about. As much as I hate Apple, their desktop OS it 100x better than Windows. Oh, and different versions of Linux? Lol. If you are using Ubuntu with bloated Unity, sure, it will be faster. My arch install boots in six seconds(including kernel loading time) and only used 100MiB of ram, and it looks pretty damn nice. And shuts down in about 3 seconds. But honestly, whats the big deal about loading time anyways. I only turn my computer on once a day and leave it on all day, so I really couldn't give a shit if it takes a minute to boot anyways.

Oh, and Edge... I don't think Edge is going to steal the market share and take over like your IE did back in the days of Netscape. Nice try. Edge can't run on anything but windows, so I don't think I'm going to be using it.

Don't worry, I don't think I'm going to be touching Windows 10 anytime soon. I only used Windows 7 for gaming, but all of my games I play have been ported to Linux, so I don't even use Windows anymore. Actually, the last time I touched Windows on a home computer was back in august but, then terraria got ported to linux, and I have never looked back...

Good luck though! That's just personally what I think, but that doesn't mean I'm right. Use what works for you.

Edited by Lightmeow

Sensei, You are incorrect.

Your just bad mouthing it without knowing anything about the functionality, the changes and the advantages.

The Windows Store is where in the future most Apps & Games will be supplied through, similar to the Apple store & even the software distribution center on Ubuntu.

The core of Windows 10 has been designed (and is being further re-designed) to make sure that any "universal" App/Game that has been designed around this will in fact run just fine on tablets, laptops & even on phones.

At the core of each of these Windows 10 devices is a basic instruction set & repository that will allow the Apps/Games to interoperate on the different devices.

As for the "different" hardware & drivers you speak of, I'm not sure if you understand hardware properly.

In every single system, all laptops, tablets & desktops are only a few designs. They all use the same chipset/base drivers across all the different boards & add-ons that are available from the different manufacturers.

The boards chipsets, from older to new, consist of either an AMD or Intel base, with 1 driver being released from either one of those companies that support all their older chipsets & the newer ones.

As for communications devices, LAN, WiFi, Audio - They too use either an Atheros, Intel or Realtek chipset, again with 1 or 2 drivers supplied by them to support all these "different" devices, despite who "makes" the product the underlying circuitry design and chipsets are all supplied by one of those mentioned companies, using a driver from them will allow the device to function perfectly fine.

It is very uncommon for the OEM's to add additional design/hardware features that deviate from the "base" design supplied to them by the chipset/board makers.

You also keep trying to say that I don't know anything about Windows because you still believe that C/C++ is the current programming language that developers use to make Apps & Games for the Windows, or the Windows Store.

I am getting tired of your pointless and un-related "challenges".

It's clear to me that you know nothing about the original thread, I was explaining why you should be using Windows 10 and why it is the best choice for any developer in the many years to come.

Another incorrect assumption you have made is of the CPU speed. Years ago these companies realized that unless you could find a cost effective and realistic way of keeping the CPU cooler when operating at speeds greater than 4+ghz then something else would needed to be done to allow computers of all kinds to process more information without increasing the speed, this is where multi-threading comes in, any application & O/S that has been designed to take advantage of this now no longer "new" technology would be able to offer greater performance.

Let me make this simple for you, I am currently using Windows 10 as we speak on a 9 year old Intel based system, this system has multiple cores and multi-threading, it is also 64bit, as is almost all hardware on the planet that is of this age or newer.

How many 9 year old cars do you own and operate to this date?

Can those cars be cheaply upgraded to add new features like ABS, SRS, motion sensors, cruise control, and then be stamped as having a higher safety rating?

By simply installing Windows 10 on this PC, It's like brand new again. It operates faster than it ever did on Windows XP or Windows 7, it does boot up and shutdown faster than any different variant of Linux that I have tested, both 32-bit & 64bit.

Windows 10's under the hood improvements has offered increased performance by "upgrading" many of the core services to take full advantage of 64bit CPU's, including multi-threading and even being able to now use the Video Card's faster GDDR5 and multi coding pipelines to process (offload) some of the work the CPU used to have to do, so it makes better use of the existing hardware you have.

You speak of a company wishing to have more clients and paying them more frequently as bad?

You seriously have issues, you have no real world experience and keep talking crap to people.

What company on the planet would not want this?

What would be the entire point of operating, starting up or opening your doors or even employing people and offering products of any kind if it wasn't to make a profit?

Do you realise that as directors & CEO of a company, by law, it is your duty to make sure the company operates lawfully and continues to produce profits for the shareholders, along with making sure the company can pay all its staff, the taxes & to pay all it's finances in general (creditors etc.).

I run a few companies. I also contribute to society in many ways, through financial aid to organisations that go and feed the homeless, to doctors that go to remote places on earth and supply medical assistance for those that cannot afford it.

In my spare time, I work with certain scientists & developers with their efforts to help shape the future of man-kind in some form or another, I also provide software, algorithm & technical idea's to large companies like Microsoft & Google to improve on their existing software or to produce better products for the general population in the years to come.

I have provided financial aid to certain countries and families that would otherwise have been abused or worse, killed without someone stepping in and offering not just financial assistance, but emotional support and guidance to get them out of the horrible place they were in and into a better life free from violence and constant fear for their children's safety.

None of this would be possible if I did not figure out how to make enough money to be able to do so much with my life.

A company is nothing if it does not continue to either expand or make profits, the more it makes the better, not all companies are "evil", some of them use their excess profits to also contribute as I have to society in some way.

What do you do besides "challenge" people on here and shut down anything they say and in an effort to try prove that some how you are better than they are because you know what the word C/C++ is, or that you know how to monitor certain particles and they don't... What relevance does anything you say have to do with contributing to the original thread or assisting other people on these forums?

Grow up.

Windows 10 is a terrible OS. It is a nice bloat box, running at idle using about 1.5 GiB of ram. Thats inexcusable. Just because system hardware is getting better, doesn't mean you can get lazy with your programming. I also don't like the idea of all the privacy violations that Microsoft enjoys having. Windows 10 has a built in keylogger for you people that don't know. Its supposedly to help with their spell checking, but considering that Windows 10 is a NSA box, I wouldn't believe that in the entirety.

Hmm... Everything should be backwards compatible. If you are actually a good programmer, this shouldn't be a problem. The Windows Store is retarded, just another sales pitch so Microsoft can get their greedy hands on more money then they already have.

Putting the Windows operating system on a subscription based model is another nice way to screw over the users and milk them for more money. When I buy something, I just want to buy it once. I guess it is a smaller fee in the short run, but having a monthly fee, will make it so in the long run the users are spending A LOT more money then they would have if they just spent the money once.

Hmm... Back in the day you payed people to bug test your software. These days, just throw out an unfinished product, and make people use it. What you don't understand, is there are a lot more security vulnerabilities doing it the way you do. Throwing "patches" over a problem doesn't really fix it; you should have done it right the first time.

Oh, yah, and forced updates. Yep, I guess big brother Microsoft knows whats best. Lets just fill up my hard drive with a bunch of patches and crap. And when Windows gets super unstable because of how hacked up it is in the future, it won't matter. Microsoft knows best.

Lol, it won't be the finial OS.... Lets just say that.

Oh, and I will be forking out a bunch of money to keep up to date. Did you forget I'm paying a monthly fee?(That you will raise every year due to excuses of inflation, etc)

Hmm... One thing you forgot about. As much as I hate Apple, their desktop OS it 100x better than Windows. Oh, and different versions of Linux? Lol. If you are using Ubuntu with bloated Unity, sure, it will be faster. My arch install boots in six seconds(including kernel loading time) and only used 100MiB of ram, and it looks pretty damn nice. And shuts down in about 3 seconds. But honestly, whats the big deal about loading time anyways. I only turn my computer on once a day and leave it on all day, so I really couldn't give a shit if it takes a minute to boot anyways.

Oh, and Edge... I don't think Edge is going to steal the market share and take over like your IE did back in the days of Netscape. Nice try. Edge can't run on anything but windows, so I don't think I'm going to be using it.

Don't worry, I don't think I'm going to be touching Windows 10 anytime soon. I only used Windows 7 for gaming, but all of my games I play have been ported to Linux, so I don't even use Windows anymore. Actually, the last time I touched Windows on a home computer was back in august but, then terraria got ported to linux, and I have never looked back...

Good luck though! That's just personally what I think, but that doesn't mean I'm right. Use what works for you.

Your kind of a Linux fanboy aren't you... Do you purposely forget to mention to the other people that Linux is a complete mess, no new hardware operates on any of it, and the manufacturers don't bother releasing drivers for most (if any) of Linux. The work/business functionality of a Linux O/S is non-existent, you also must type (after first learning) the specific commands for the different packages associated with your "flavour" of Linux in order to get things to work or install.

It is an outdated, old and slow to adapt to new or changing technology Operating System with endless bugs & flaws that never get resolved, I know because I used to report bugs for a few different Linux Distro's and offer solutions.

The simple matter is, there is no money in Linux, for business or home users, even the people that make the particular variant of a Linux based O/S don't really get paid for it and only work on these things in their spare time, if they feel like it.

You can report and complain about an issue for years, they may or may not get around to fixing it, and by then, the drivers & hardware have changed or a newer piece of software is available which brings in a whole new round of bugs.

Using Linux, you are forever trying to update it, applying patches or searching the internet to find a solution to a problem which you would experience every few days, including with the installation.

However, that's not to say it doesn't have "some" very minor use in the world. As a desktop O/S that is, I use it for security testing & accessing sites that I know are filled with exploits & re-directions to try install malware.

I also use a few different Linux Distro's just to keep up to date with it all, I play around with them when I'm beyond bored.

Scientifically or logically speaking, your comment that Apple's O/S is 100x better is just, random jibberish.

The larger majority of software, games & the latest hardware only operate on Windows.

Apple products are seen in the business world and by I.T. professionals alike as "expensive toys".

People used to use Apple stuff for making music, editing images or creating visual effects for movies.

But long since then, all the very same creative software used by these kinds of people is available on Windows, with more functionality & can make use of the newer hardware that you can just go out and buy, then stick it into your PC and start using.

Linux "could be great" if all the different developers sat down and decided "ok, let's get rid of these 500 variants and concentrate on developing just 2 of them instead".

And if they could persuade all the manufacturers & OEM's to provide support & drivers to Linux, some do, most don't and the ones that do couldn't be bothered updating older drivers or supplying support in the future, a lot of them just this very year said they would completely "drop support for any Linux".

But what do I know, maybe I'm completely wrong with my many years of experience in the industry supporting businesses & corporations throughout the world.

You play games, perhaps you do know more than I do.

Edited by The Angry Intellect

Another quick post about RAM usage.

Why do you want your RAM to always be completely empty & free?

Having empty RAM all the time could also be a sign of bad programming, since every time you do something or open a program, the system must first locate all the data from the Hard Drive, which is the slowest part of any system, it is the bottleneck. Once you close the program (which you may use often), immediately writting out the data back to the Hard Disk so that you "see" more free RAM just means the system must go through the process all over again to load the data back into RAM.

A system with plenty of free RAM (not being utilized) is a system going to waste. It is a resource that has been designed to be taken advantage of, to speed things up and drastically lower latency when performing repeadative tasks.

When the system starts up, it should load (cache) most of the commonly used parts of the system (the data on the Disk) so that when you go to use a particular application it will load much faster and performe better, the end user experience is better.

The RAM being used for cache is just that, a cache, when you load another application that requires more RAM to function smoothly, the system detects this and will automatically uncache (remove) the parts that is not required currently to perform any immediate tasks, thus "freeing" up the RAM, once the application closes and the system detects it being idle, it may cache certain data again to increase performance.

In short, the RAM should always be mostly occupied by something, if it isn't, it's going to WASTE.

It's like owning a few blocks of land, if you have empty blocks of land for long periods of time and your not using it for anything... Whats the point?

It would be better to have something using this land, perhaps a business or a farm, a block of units etc. so that you can start generating some kind of income or see something in return for the use of that land.

Having empty land still costs you money in some way, be it council rates, maintenance, insurance, security... something will chew up your funds by just owning the empty land, it's smarter to find a use for that land so that at the very least, it's not costing you anything to have it.

Windows 10 has a better "prediction" algorithm for caching certain system files or application data to be put into RAM, so that the entire system will feel more responsive and faster for the user, it learns what you use often and don't use often, it can even predict based on your past actions what program you may use next after having just used one and will load or make sure that predicted application data is in the RAM before you go to use it.

In relation to Windows 10 sending microsoft your writing, inking & speech data to them... This is generally used to give the current user (profile) better assistance and speech recognition, it also learns what corrections you make to the dictionary or what custom words you use and how you use them to be able to correctly identify what word you were after and to allow the speech recognition software to more accurately predict what you were saying and what you might say, so it can offer better corrections based on how you used it over time.

With that being said, you can actually just turn this part off, with the simple click of a button the system will not send any of this information to Microsoft.

But yes... it could possibly also be used to identify or target you for another purpose, be it government related or for advertising purposes.

It is always best to read the Microsoft Privacy Agreement which is available to you where ever this kind of technology is available within Windows - direct links in the settings are provided to you, they are not hidden.

I don't think anyone has said this. The problem cited by Lightmeow is about how much RAM is being used. It isn't clear that they suggested that no RAM should be used at all.

That's precisely What I was talking about, his issue with Windows is that it uses more RAM than Linux. Of course it does, not because of "bad programming", in fact it's for the exact opposite reason - Good programming, loading more of the system & most used applications into the RAM so that the system responds better.

The reason Linux uses less RAM is not because of better programming, but due to the fact they simply don't incorporate any kind of "intelligence" with their O/S, it simply doesn't have the services in place to monitor & detect usage patterns and apply what it has learned from the usage to "tweak" the caching for better performance.

It takes a lot of time & effort to programme a system like Windows has to offer the user a better performance experience, why would someone who isn't getting paid anything bother doing such a thing if the system "works"?

They don't care for doing such modifications to the system code or creating new services to improve on the performance, it gains "them" nothing in return for all their efforts.

Edited by The Angry Intellect

As for the "different" hardware & drivers you speak of, I'm not sure if you understand hardware properly.

In every single system, all laptops, tablets & desktops are only a few designs. They all use the same chipset/base drivers across all the different boards & add-ons that are available from the different manufacturers.

The boards chipsets, from older to new, consist of either an AMD or Intel base, with 1 driver being released from either one of those companies that support all their older chipsets & the newer ones.

As for communications devices, LAN, WiFi, Audio - They too use either an Atheros, Intel or Realtek chipset, again with 1 or 2 drivers supplied by them to support all these "different" devices, despite who "makes" the product the underlying circuitry design and chipsets are all supplied by one of those mentioned companies, using a driver from them will allow the device to function perfectly fine.

It is very uncommon for the OEM's to add additional design/hardware features that deviate from the "base" design supplied to them by the chipset/board makers.

I wrote PCI card driver ~15 years ago for C-Media sound card, yet another I forgot name, some version of Sound Blaster, and 3D gfx card.

Different models have completely different hardware registers.

At that time sfx card had 1 channel or 2 channels, one for each speaker.

Now modern sfx card can have multiple speakers simultaneously connected.

I have here 5 speaker system.

Method of programming them depend on how they were designed by engineers.

Sound cards with DMA for instance, require setting up address of block next to play each time when currently played block is finished (double buffering),

properties of sample (8 bit signed, 8 bit unsigned, 16 bit signed, 16 bit unsigned),

frequency, volume, and the length of data in block.

The shorter length of block, the more often we have to provide new data, CPU usage will be higher.

It's all done inside of interrupt routine. CPU normal work is suspended, all CPU registers stored, and interrupt routine installed by driver is called.

(similarly multi-threading is implemented)

Sound cards without DMA, are (were) (because they probably all extincted, not produced anymore) programmed completely differently.

There is register in which there is write-only current sample data.

Programmer has to write it, wait exact number of cycles, write again, wait (cycles), write etc. in loop.

Or utilize other interrupting routine, just to feed HW register with new sample.

(on Atari 8 bit for this purpose there was utilized DLI (Display List Interrupt), that was called 15625 times per second or so)

On the top of this there is running the main virtual channels mixing routine, which is mixing f.e. 32 virtual channels to f.e. 2 physical channels.

The more speakers sound card can handle, obviously the more registers present.

So don't tell me that driver good for 2 channel system is good also to multi-speaker card.

It's plain gibberish.

Drivers are in bigger packages for convenience of end users.

User is going downloading one huge driver archive. Does not have to bother to find exact card.

It's leaved to installer to pick up right one from library.

Edited by Sensei

Money is a good motivator, I doubt anyone would go out of their way to work for free on a farm or to build a road, construct a building or work in a call centre taking customer complaints.

If you don't get paid for your efforts and/or it doesn't directly benefit you in some way, then why bother.

People in business would rather pay lots of money to use a system or product that has proper support teams & agreements/assurance policies in place to guarantee what it is they are paying for.

A company that can accept responsibility for their product or system and will generally want to help you in resolving any issues you have because they care, it will affect them, they could lose money or reputation, their support staff are paid to care, it's their job.

Using Linux or any other "free" software/products usually comes with absolutely no guarantee and will have special clauses/agreements to which you accept by using it which excludes them (the makers) from any liability or product support. You use it "as is", if something happens due to a fault with their software/product or needs urgent patching, it's not their problem, it's yours.

Some people that advocate the use of Linux as a replacement to a Windows based or Apple based desktop O/S are either fanboys, maybe they like to just experiment with it, or else they do not operate in the business world, they might not even have jobs.. ;)

Sensei, why are you rambling about how you made a sound card driver?

Are you showing off again to other people?

Again I'll point out, what has that to do with anything?

I stated that the "different" hardware out there is based off only a few different designs and chipsets, that despite the "manufacturer" of the product, the core design and all chipsets are only made by a small handful of companies.

Using generic drivers or drivers supplied by the chipset makers will work on almost every device out there.

There isn't 1,000's of different designs & drivers required for any part of the computer, it's a relatively small number.

Back onto the original statement, Windows 10 will run just fine on "different" kinds of hardware, new or old.

The Windows API (Application Programming Interface) in Windows 10 has been designed in such a way that developers trying to produce Apps won't have to worry so much about the underlying hardware of a particular device. Windows takes care of this for them. It has been greatly simplified and made easier to develop Apps for a Windows 10 device compared with previous Windows releases.

The current focus of Microsoft is to "unify" the code of Windows across all devices, to create more of a common ground between them so that an App developed using this new API and coding will work on all devices, they call these kinds of Apps "Universal" - There is a great push and incentives for developers to start making Apps designed to take advantage of this.

This will benefit the end user, since any Apps they "own" or previously downloaded on one device, will work on any other device they log into.

This will benefit Microsoft, having a larger cross-platform store that will ultimately reach more people on more devices, which in turn will generate them more income.

This will benefit the developer/company behind any Apps they produce, as their Apps will be more widely available to people, despite what underlying hardware they use, it will also give them more of a public presence and grounds for advertising, having their App or Game show up and useable on Desktops, Laptops, Tablets & Phones.

But by all means, continue explaining about how cool you are for making a sound card driver and how sound cards apparently have so very many different kinds of hardware designs or "channels"... Last time I checked, the configuration differences between them is still extremely small, again there isn't 1 through to 50,000 channels and completely "different" chipset makers for these devices, only a few.

This will be the last time I ever respond to any post you (Sensei) make in relation to anything I have spoken about. You're full of yourself & keep trying to challenge everyone on everything, you try make correlations between one thing and something completely unrelated to the topic or post, your a complete bullsh*t artist.

You offer no insights or assistance to the original threads to which I have also commented on, it's always you you you, "look what I did, I'm a clever boy!".

Your a good boy aren't you... who's a good boy, yes you are... Now can you go fetch me the paper? I wouldn't mind reading the Polish news, to see if they mention you.

There isn't 1,000's of different designs & drivers required for any part of the computer, it's a relatively small number.

From

http://www.drivers.com/download-help-sdu.php

"Full access to over 600,000 Software Drivers"

Again, proved wrong.

There is approximately as many drivers are there is device models, multiplied by number of OS APIs for drivers (driver developer kit, DDK, or Windows Driver Kit, WDK). Multiplied by 2 (32 bit/64 bit). Or so.

f.e.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Driver_Kit#DDK_Versions

Using generic drivers or drivers supplied by the chipset makers will work on almost every device out there.

Generic drivers are provided by Microsoft, not device manufacturer.

f.e. generic gfx driver does not have GPU acceleration, just pixel-by-pixel draw lines.

To have proper full speed of hardware there is needed proper driver from device manufacturer.

They know how to code their hardware, after all they made it. All secrets of HW.

Edited by Sensei

Your kind of a Linux fanboy aren't you... Do you purposely forget to mention to the other people that Linux is a complete mess, no new hardware operates on any of it

source?

edit: i should have prefaced this question by saying this is surprising to me as my macbook pro which has fairly recent hardware (late 2015) is dual booting osx and ubuntu. is there any specific incompatible hardware you can point to?

Edited by andrewcellini

I note the initials AI could stand for a poster in this thread or somthing else in computer circles.

I also note that AI claims to work for M$.

In response to the hijack of my thread to advertise W10, please comment on this editorial in the current trade press.

post-74263-0-37478300-1455185840_thumb.jpg

Windows 10 as a whole compares quite favorable overall to e.g. 7 in terms of resource use and footprint. Privacy is a major concern. However, this is basically true for almost all modern devices as they heavily tie in into cloud, mail and other services provided by MS, Apple or Google. Probably the only way out is to run linux on computers and use phone only for calls...

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10s-privacy-policy-is-the-new-normal/

One can disable services such as cortana to minimize sending information, but if you use any kind of mail service, well you are sending them info regardless.