Cool New Google Maps Trick

Pangloss

You're not that far off. I can make out my own foliage. A big live oak in the back yard and some palm trees in front. And it's pretty obvious you could zoom in a lot further if they weren't concerned about mouse-grabber scolling speed.

There are better sat photo sites around the internet, though. What's really interesting about this one is the way it's integrated with the map and directions functions, and the mouse-grab scrolling deal.

Is he smoking a cigarette?
Cigar. No aspiring doctor would smoke cigarettes anymore.

At least not where a satellite camera could catch him.

It got my house dead on. I think my neighbor's kid's ball is stuck on my roof.

well we had fun last night looking up the inlaws in the states, great map :)

Gonna do the mum thing now though, something that i found very disturbing about this site.... and yeah you probably all know already, but if you type in someones phone number including area code you can not only get a satalite pic of their property but full postal address and directions too. May sound kinda cool to some but as a mum I found the thought terrifying, I have a teenage daughter, and though I have told her never to give out our number on the net, she is a kid and kids do what kids do, there is a potential there for pedophiles to gain way more access to their victims than perhaps we would feel comfortable with.

Presently we don't have white pages here in the UK, least none that I am aware of yet, but there were a few of my relatives state side that I entered their phone numbers for and recieved full directions to their homes plus names. :-(

ooh on a footnote to what I just wrote, I do believe that if your information is in full on that site that you can have it removed by going ex-directory/unlisted and that would stop sites such as the google map from locating via satelite and locating by number or address too.

OK, try this:

Type (copy & paste) in VP Cheney's "home address": 3450 Massachusetts Ave NW, Washington DC

Zoom in and center the circle (The US Naval Observatory) in the picture. The little pointer is a little off from the front gate.

Now click on satellite.

And: pan over to the White House (to the SE) and notice the lack of rooftop detail

Yeah there was a story that made the rounds about that a few months ago, possibly around the time Google bought out Keyhole. Something about how the tops of certain buildings were greyed out for national security reasons, etc etc. I'm afraid I don't remember the details now.

Guest ZacharyC

Mapquest used to have the same option, and you could zoom in about twice as far. They removed it, I believe. On Google, and Terraserver-USA, etc you can zoom in on military installations, the details are intact.

http://tidr.blogspot.com/