why i'm a christian

phillip1882

so, on my 31'st birthday i tried to commit suicide. i survived, but after which over the course of the next 3 months i had a bizzare set of experances, that let me to believe that there is a supernatural element to the universe. i can't prove this of couse, all i have is alot of allegation about my experiances, but it is enough to make me believe. i chose christainty admitedy becuase it's what i grew up with. had i beem born in the middle east i'd probalby would consider myself muslim.

but regardless, i truly believe that there is an element beyond what science can explain.

so, on my 31'st birthday i tried to commit suicide. i survived, but after which over the course of the next 3 months i had a bizzare set of experances, that let me to believe that there is a supernatural element to the universe. i can't prove this of couse, all i have is alot of allegation about my experiances, but it is enough to make me believe. i chose christainty admitedy becuase it's what i grew up with. had i beem born in the middle east i'd probalby would consider myself muslim.

but regardless, i truly believe that there is an element beyond what science can explain.

(emphasis mine)

So, you're a Christian for the same reason most are.

On another note, why I'm an atheist: a rational desire to no longer lie to myself and continue with unnecessary mental gymnastics and dissonance. Said another way, I'm an atheist for the same reasons I don't believe in the tooth fairy or Santa claus.

Edited by iNow

So, A Christian, because it's easier than getting a real explanation of those experiences.

If you think your story is unique, you're mistaken. A lot of people turn to the irrational when faced with a crisis.

There's nothing new here, no life-changing revelation nobody's heard before. So you're a Christian for the same reason the majority is - your upbringing. Good for you, but don't expect people to take you seriously when it comes to your beliefs.

It sounds like you went on an emotional roller-coaster for a while, so you made some decisions based on those emotions, decisions that would have been made more accurately using reason and rational thought. "Bizarre set of experiences" is exactly the type of events where science is the best tool to use, and religion is the worst.

Just remember that faith is asking you to believe very strongly, with all your heart, in something you can't possibly know. Science asks you to trust the explanations that have the most supportive evidence to back them up. You should think hard about how you apply your faith, and your trust.

Wait a minute !

Did iNow say there's no Santa Claus ?

Who's been leaving gifts under my Christmas tree all these years ?

And eating my Christmas cookies ?

Most likey aliens. Though perhaps they are full of it.

Wait a minute !

Did iNow say there's no Santa Claus ?

Who's been leaving gifts under my Christmas tree all these years ?

And eating my Christmas cookies ?

To ensure precision and avoid being called "close-minded," I should note that obviously I cannot be certain that Santa Claus doesn't exist. I personally find no compelling reason to assume he does and find those who go through life believing he exists to frankly be a bit childish and misguided, but I'd be wrong if I just flat out asserted his nonexistence with certainty.

To ensure precision and avoid being called "close-minded," I should note that obviously I cannot be certain that Santa Claus doesn't exist. I personally find no compelling reason to assume he does and find those who go through life believing he exists to frankly be a bit childish and misguided, but I'd be wrong if I just flat out asserted his nonexistence with certainty.

Consider, for a moment, the greatest possible Santa. Now, wouldn't that Santa be even better if it were real? Therefore, Santa exists......somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

so here is a small list of some of the experainces i had. when i went into the hospital, there were two weman there who i had never met who seemed to know exactly why i was there.

one seemed to want to help me the other to condem me.

after i got out, in the morning i woke up, my whole body seemed full of light. i dont know how else to describe it other than that. lightr radiated through out my skin.

i read the bible and it said my word was truth. i condemned the world by saying one lie, one cheat, one steal is worth a pushment of hell. i went online and people were begging to be realased on a chat sever i regularly visit. i freed everyone, by freeing the worst person, krossos, who i later remembered from a book i read a long time ago is the god of death and destruction. he struck deals with people for their release. he had aparently had aleady been freed 7 times.

the bible continued to communicate with me. jesus said he was the true god of isreal and that i should know that becuase he sent me two helpers.

after a couple months i experanced a sort of 4th dimential reality. seasons shifted rapidlty, flowers grew and wilted in rapid succession, people scrabled for basic food.

shortly after, i had a sensation of my head dissolving in acid, after it was over, i read the bible and the apostle paul said i was sentanced to satan to atone.

a tv repairman came to my house to install direct tv. after he was done, i said, i leave you to your work, then he said in a near panic, "no your good your good." then he ran up stair, ran back down stairs, and stepped on my toe. he said i didnt step on oyur toe did i, and i said no as a way of forgiving him. then he said your running the show now. then the television seemed to be commucating with me in a simalar fashion as the bible. i read the bible and it said that i was satan, but that satan cant spit in his own eye. so i spit in my own eye to end it.

there's more to it, but just to give you a general idea.

so here is a small list of some of the experainces i had. when i went into the hospital, there were two weman there who i had never met who seemed to know exactly why i was there.

one seemed to want to help me the other to condem me.

after i got out, in the morning i woke up, my whole body seemed full of light. i dont know how else to describe it other than that. lightr radiated through out my skin.

i read the bible and it said my word was truth. i condemned the world by saying one lie, one cheat, one steal is worth a pushment of hell. i went online and people were begging to be realased on a chat sever i regularly visit. i freed everyone, by freeing the worst person, krossos, who i later remembered from a book i read a long time ago is the god of death and destruction. he struck deals with people for their release. he had aparently had aleady been freed 7 times.

the bible continued to communicate with me. jesus said he was the true god of isreal and that i should know that becuase he sent me two helpers.

after a couple months i experanced a sort of 4th dimential reality. seasons shifted rapidlty, flowers grew and wilted in rapid succession, people scrabled for basic food.

shortly after, i had a sensation of my head dissolving in acid, after it was over, i read the bible and the apostle paul said i was sentanced to satan to atone.

a tv repairman came to my house to install direct tv. after he was done, i said, i leave you to your work, then he said in a near panic, "no your good your good." then he ran up stair, ran back down stairs, and stepped on my toe. he said i didnt step on oyur toe did i, and i said no as a way of forgiving him. then he said your running the show now. then the television seemed to be commucating with me in a simalar fashion as the bible. i read the bible and it said that i was satan, but that satan cant spit in his own eye. so i spit in my own eye to end it.

there's more to it, but just to give you a general idea.

I ask this in the most serious way possible: what drugs are you taking?

I'm not a religious person by any stretch although I've had almost all Catholic sacraments ( except marriage and last rites of course ).

It just seemed like the thing to do, being born in Italy and all.

Here's my take on the three major monotheistic religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam.

They each have a book which presents ( through parables and stories not to be taken as literal or even real ) guidelines for how we should live our lives.

All three books stress that we should care about our fellow human beings and avoid wronging others, but there are some subtle differences.

In the Old Testament ( the Jewish guidelines ), the lead is none other than God himself.

He is depicted as a vengeful God. An 'eye for an eye'. Stray out of line and He banishes you from Eden, turns people into pillars of salt, floods the Earth or even demands the sacrifice of your first born.

Similarly, Israeli Jews are very unforgiving. If you cross them in any way, they will retaliate.

The New Testament ( Christian guidelines ), is very different. It is the story ( real or fictional, doesn't matter ) of the Christ, who was all about forgiveness and turning the other cheek.

The only time Jesus gets upset is when he up-ends the money lenders' tables in the temple.

Once we get to the Quran ( Muslim guidelines ) there is no question of fiction or reality. Mohammed was a real historic figure.

And so while we have the writings in the Quran, we also have the historical records stating that when he was banished from Mecca for preaching, he went to Medina, raised a small army, and ambushed/robbed wagon trains on the way to Mecca, to finance his operations. After his religion was established, Muslim armies conquered ( along North Africa ) as far as the Pyrenees separating Spain from Franc, in the West, and as far as the Punjab in the East.

Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't a generalization about the followers of the religions, There are good Jews, Christians and Muslims, and bad Jews, Christians and Muslims.

This is more a generalization about their respective books or guides, and how they are tempered by historical records.

And although the comparison is extremely simplistic, If I had to be religious, its clear to me which I'd favour.

I ask this in the most serious way possible: what drugs are you taking?

nothing that hasnt been perscribed to me.

i've taken abilify to combat some earller bipolarism. i'm currently on some medication to fight any voices which i seem to now sometimes hear since atempting suicide.

the medications im on are ripisadol a divaporeox.

the reson i bielve in the supernatural is it seems to be not just me but things outside myself acting oddly as well. such as people know things about me that i didnt tell anyone, or people acting in a bizzare manner.