Chess lovers?

Peace

Do we have any chess fans here?

I have loved it and studied it a lot since a boy - at my best I beat a strong master - the rest of the time mostly just study for myself, because I love the game.

Currently my strength is not above A-player, by my estimate. . . Mine has always been pretty variable - depending on how much I study,

I've found that if you really love the game, studying it can be a lot of fun - over the years.

If anyone wants to discuss games, or talk about their favorite world champion, or whatever. . And I bet, there's already a chess thread or two floating about, so please forgive me for adding to the ' clutter '

:)

Hey Peace,

I'm not really a chess fan in that I don't follow any famous players currently but I did enjoy playing chess in primary school as well as in early-to-mid of secondary school.

Awesome game which I would like to get back into somewhere in the future but have taken a long break for a few years now.

Cheers,

Clara Tanone

Hi Clara,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I had several good teachers. . . it was also at the best time of my life for such training, as I never lost the ability to focus and learn something. . . it helped for other - less specifically logical, but also helped me add logic to the rest of parts of my life - such as poetry, or what not.

So I was thinking - a couple things, could have a random game going - anyone feel free to play for either side. . . heh, or talk about players -

my favs have always been the world champions mostly. . for instance, Botvinnik said of Smyslov - 'From '53 to '58 he was the best in the world - no one could beat him.' So i studied short (ish) games of his from that time, and they were quite incredible, he was at peak form.

Cheers,

Jacob

I'm not exactly an expert on chess, but I like to play it and sometimes I watch some videos analyzing chess games. I like tactical players like Kasparov or Tal, as that kind of play fits much more my mindset.

Tal is actually my favorite, because he always made those crazy kind of sacrifices incomprehensible to mere mortals. :)

I like the game and used to play the facebook tournaments and things... was fun, but I wasn't that good at it. I got ALOT better after playing with some friends at uni that were in the county and even the national teams.. They taught me some tricks and more about things to look for and how to adapt a better defence against good players. I never beat any of them - lol.

I played a lot with other friends over the years and used to beat them all the time... I taught them what I know and then they started beating me, lol... when I asked them what tactics they were using they refused to tell me... which I found most unsporting as I spent months teaching them all I know about the game up until that point. lol.

I quite liked the speed chess games as you have to think fast and can easily miss things and the game only takes 2 mins (I miss things anyway, so having to think fast and decide is a good way to play). I think these were listed as 'Bullet Chess' games.

Anyway - yes, I like chess - wish I was better at it though. ;-)

Oh cool, awesome. Alekhine is always great to study, all the way up to 1800 or 2000 a great one; tactics, too, ( mates in 2 problems are fairly ideal )

World champ Petrosion, who was mostly known for his ridiculous positional skill, himself said that ' in chess, everything rests on tactics. '

Studying itself is much better for your game than playing - this is a little tidbit from GM and trainer Eduard Gufeld, and. . memorizing grandmaster games is also a very big secret. . . one of the most valuable. ;-)

As one of my coaches said, it's - well, all he said was it's the best, heh, but it really is - it's like training jogging with weights on or something. . . just the very best practice to improve skill. . the thing is, you pick up the patterns that way - you absorb them into your conscious and subconscious. . . and you really sky-rocket fast if you fall in love with the game enough so that studying it becomes a lot of fun. . . otherwise you won't end up devoting yourself to it very fully - or much time, or be as interested / fascinated with the game. . .

And as far as I can tell of course, the rest of my life has tended to confirm that this is a key principle in learning a game, or skill, or any ability or art or discipline.

Have a great day :)

Peace