Does being an Atheist make you closed minded? [Answered: NO]

sunshaker

Hey man, listen.. I didn't mean to offend you or anything like that.

This is a discussion, you made some assertions and they're being discussed. Since we're discussing ideas, not people, there's nothing to be offended by.

What is it with you and censorship? I guess if you were a moderator, you'd be doing that to the text in the posts.

What is this about? Who is censoring you? You didn't attribute this to anyone, so I'm curious where the paranoia is coming from. Or is this more dancing?

I was wondering about once you "STATE" yourself an "Atheist",

attachicon.gifimages (2).jpgatheist.jpg

Most in this forum understand the universe on many levels, and most religions do not agree with what is known in science.

I do not follow any written religion but I would not call myself an atheist.

Do you lose some of that spark of "human imagination/freedom of thought" once you state yourself an Atheist, only believing in what you can prove?

Haha, that meme. No, it just seems that most people attracted to this following happen to have a chip on their shoulder and are simply rebelling against someone who was cruel to them in child hood. This image is something they project onto a targeted group which they must attack to make themselves feel better about how they were treated as a child. Many people are just Atheist to rebel not because they are truly Atheists. They just want to flip the bird to Christians. There are a lot of people who believe only in what they can prove but they do not all call themselves Atheist. They are more focused on other things than labeling themselves. In the past none Christian religions that did not have another name were just called Pegan.

Now on another note I think anyone who says for sure something like this is positive is pretty closed minded. Saying "I did not see it with my own eyes so its not there." You also cant see people in China from the US but we dont say that China is imaginary.

Edited by ThinkingMind

Many people are just Atheist to rebel not because they are truly Atheists. They just want to flip the bird to Christians.

How many is "many?" Also...Citation needed.

Now on another note I think anyone who says for sure something like this is positive is pretty closed minded. Saying "I did not see it with my own eyes so its not there."

Does anybody actually say this, though? Seems like an inaccurate description of the majority of atheists, IMO. If you say "yes," I request that you follow-up by also saying who.

There is a Santa Claus. In fact, there's more than one. I've seen 'em at the mall.

What science can probably prove is that Santa Clause doesn't go out delivering presents 'round Christmas time while flying on a sled pulled by flying reindeer. Though the character Santa Clause is quite real. And as I already mentioned in my earlier reply, I've seen him at the mall.

As I shared here more than a month prior to this exchange with you: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/91461-why-im-a-christian/#entry887418 Edited by iNow

In order to be somewhat successful in identifying with themselves; an individual must first have an open mind to engage in religion or science as an endeavor. Lacking the ability to distinguish fantasy from fiction has been clearly demonstrated by a majority feeling they had influence. I am no candidate in this folly after several pages of diatribe resulting in utter defeat. It most certainly takes the sincere belief in the aptitude or possibility of lunar migration of the coconut carrying swallow to complete any scientific investigation with it salt. You can ask the Dali lama. Prove James Bond doesn't exist. Nothing exist. There is no self. There is a path that leads to the end of suffering.

In order to be somewhat successful in identifying with themselves; an individual must first have an open mind to engage in religion or science as an endeavor. Lacking the ability to distinguish fantasy from fiction has been clearly demonstrated by a majority feeling they had influence. I am no candidate in this folly after several pages of diatribe resulting in utter defeat. It most certainly takes the sincere belief in the aptitude or possibility of lunar migration of the coconut carrying swallow to complete any scientific investigation with it salt. You can ask the Dali lama. Prove James Bond doesn't exist. Nothing exist. There is no self. There is a path that leads to the end of suffering.

How true this is, even today, when ikan bilis forms quadrilateral triangles.

My physical science teacher told me I was trapped in the days of Aristotle. He was teaching some stuff like the gravity, or unsupported objects falling to the ground. Einstein's theory of relativity. People didn't even have computers yet. It was back in the bulletin board days. My brother was doing computers all along. I do emails and a few music torrents. I shop online sometimes. I just started mp3. I trying to open my mind to new ideas. They just totally ripped me off on computer tech charges. Said they were going to fix my itunes.... sorry for the personal info..... Labels are for jars; not people. That's what I believe. One does not have to play out a stereotype. Try to learn them. Avoid catastrophic thinking and jumping to conclusions. One does not have to study social psychology to look at the world from both sides. Sometimes we do have to retreat to a safety zone when we find ourselves on a limb. Look what happened to those people that were hiding behind the stained glass windows. Its a shame when believers have to lock there doors to feel secure gunfire. Gone with the wind I guess.

I am not sure that emulating the style of James Joyce is the best approach on a science forum, but welcome anyway.

What I took from your last post was this: "We should be more open minded and learn new things; I am learning new things; when novelty threatens, step back for a moment."

Was that even close?

One step in front of the other. Life is filed with new challenges and the demographics and our surroundings help to increase the awareness over time. The pace seems to be inconsistent with our ability and strength to accept it. The old saying Beauty in the eye of the beholder is not limited by our beliefs. Often our values and our interest determine how open we are to changes and responsibilities. Just for example, the vary notion of a religious order of dogma; or book of rules sounds limiting and confining. However, routine frees the mind of the necessary and gives the spirit the ability to praise. A person seldom has to worry about boredom and mischief. That isn't the message I was precisely trying to imply. I guess you had it right in the first place.

Hey... would you like to build a watch?? It's 3 forty 2 AM.

Buddhism is about overcoming ones ego. In my observations atheists derive conclusions primarily based on ego.

From this I deduce that either:

you have not observed Buddhists or

you you are an idiot who contradicts himself.

Obviously the two are not mutually exclusive.

(I also see that you haven't learned to use an apostrophe)

What is this about? Who is censoring you? You didn't attribute this to anyone, so I'm curious where the paranoia is coming from. Or is this more dancing?

He can't censor me directly, he's not a moderator. I'm referring to him quoting me out of context by censoring parts of what I've said in order to present a different idea.

I don't believe he's honest. He seems intent on irritating us and wasting our time.

Yes, the free expression of opinion is something that your average atheist is not very fond of.

an individual must first have an open mind to engage in religion or science as an endeavor

Agreed. Keeping an open mind is key.

From this I deduce that either: you have not observed Buddhists or you you are an idiot who contradicts himself. Obviously the two are not mutually exclusive. (I also see that you haven't learned to use an apostrophe)

Hehe a 'resident expert' moderator of the forum makes it personal. No surprise though, this just corroborates my observations on atheist demeanor.

Edited by evobulgarevo

Yes, the free expression of opinion is something that your average atheist is not very fond of.

Citation needed.

Hehe a 'resident expert' moderator of the forum makes it personal.

He is not a moderator. Another important part of science is "attention to detail".

Yes, the free expression of opinion is something that your average atheist is not very fond of. - evobulgarevo, on 15 Nov 2015 - 12:32 PM

So it is just your personal opinion, not any sort of empirical fact. As someone said, that which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. This seems to be the case with most of your arguments.

If you preceded all of your statements with "I think, for no reason whatsoever, that ..." then it would be a little more honest. Rather than asserting your beliefs as fact.

Hehe a 'resident expert' moderator of the forum makes it personal. No surprise though, this just corroborates my observations on atheist demeanor.

The phrase "Yes, the free expression of opinion is something that your average atheist is not very fond of." just broke my irony meter.

As far as I'm concerned "idiot" is a straightforward descriptive term here (and, as was pointed out, you are just plain wrong about me being a mod. which rather illustrates my point).

Anyway, perhaps you would like to comment on what I said, rather than one the word I used when I said it.

Have not observed Buddhists, or did you contradict yourself?

And it seems you are being censored in the very important sense that you are not being censored at all.

Edited by John Cuthber

How many is "many?" Also...Citation needed.

Does anybody actually say this, though? Seems like an inaccurate description of the majority of atheists, IMO. If you say "yes," I request that you follow-up by also saying who.

As I shared here more than a month prior to this exchange with you: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/91461-why-im-a-christian/#entry887418

Citation of what exactly?

Citation of what exactly?

Probably of the thing next to it which is asserted as fact, but without any supporting evidence.

Specifically, this

Many people are just Atheist to rebel not because they are truly Atheists. They just want to flip the bird to Christians.

Probably of the thing next to it which is asserted as fact, but without any supporting evidence.

Specifically, this

The fact that so many Atheists do it. That so many people have also complained about this, and a bunch of them post online about how they insulted or attacked a Christian for doing something like pray for his lunch at work. So its called being aware. The fact you dont realize it just means you are not that aware of it. There are also famous Atheists who say stuff like we need to teach people to stop being religious. Though I not saying creationists are not guilty of the same crap. I have seen know it all Atheists fighting head strong creationist too. They are both often very rude, belligerent and judgmental. I dont like either side of the coin honestly and I been stuck in the cross fire of both parties in the past. Since I generally dont show a lot of conviction either way as I tend to be very open and friendly sometimes people assume I must be voting for the other party, but I not with a party. I am just open to other peoples beliefs and sadly there are Creationists and Atheists who simply aren't.

Also if there is a story with a title "I cant stand Christians, why do they have to be so ignorant" followed by.

So I was at work today and there was my coworker eating his lunch. Than he did something astounding. He looked like he was praying. So you know what I did? I went up to him and asked what he was doing. So he told me he was praying. I was just so disgusted by what he was telling me I just had to explain why what he believes is so wrong. Why do Christians have to be so stupid?

When clearly he wasn't being stupid. The Atheist was just being terribly intolerant and than complains that Christians are intolerant. There are intolerant Christians but it seems hypocritical to go out of your way to be a jerk, and than say why everyone else is wrong. People should examine their own actions before they start placing blame on others. If you cant follow your own teachings, why should anyone else listen to you? If you cant follow your teachings anything you say is utterly worthless.

Oh and another argument I see a lot.

Question: Why do you hate Christians

Awnser: Since Christian people were mean to me as a kid so all of them must want to hurt me.(Often mom and dad issues or church problems.) which turns into a loop

Why did you do this to person B: Since (Childhood trauma)

Why did you do this to person C: Since(Childhood trauma)

Why did you do this to person D:Since(Childhood trauma)

So a lot of times these people who become Atheists end up projecting and just want to rebel. Like the lost little Children they are.

A mean Creationist will just call you stupid for not agreeing. An Atheist will tell you why he is superior in every way. I think I honestly prefer blatant stupidity over arrogance. However neither one is much fun to deal with. Its stupid to argue that everyone is bad for not agreeing with you, while its arrogant to say everyone is stupid since you should be hailed and worshiped as the supreme perfect one who knows all in this universe.

Edited by ThinkingMind

The fact that so many Atheists do it.

That "fact" is what you are being asked for evidence of. I see you have none, other than your personal opinion. (Can we assume you are close friend, if not a sock puppet, of evobulgarevo? He is equally irrational.)

There are also famous Atheists who say stuff like we need to teach people to stop being religious.

That is not very specific. And doesn't seem to be evidence of "many". I can think of one person who espouses views like this. I don't know if anyone takes him seriously.

Also if there is a story with a title "I cant stand Christians, why do they have to be so ignorant" followed by.

IF there is a story? You mean the one you have just made up?

Awnser: Since Christian people were mean to me as a kid so all of them must want to hurt me.

There is an entire multi-page thread based on one person complaining that atheists were mean to him once. And therefore all atheists are bad. You sound equally bitter.

An Atheist will tell you why he is superior in every way.

Presumably you have a specific atheist in mind? I certainly haven't heard any atheists (or religious people) say that. (Well, there was one annoying radio presenter in the UK who spent an entire program telling us how brilliant he was. I have no idea if he is an atheist or not.)

A mean Creationist will just call you stupid for not agreeing. An Atheist will tell you why he is superior in every way.

I think you misunderstand what's going on here.

If the atheist is being rational (we already know the creationist isn't), he should be telling you why his arguments are superior in every way, having the great good fortune to match up with what we observe in reality. Typically, the creationist can't argue successfully with reasoned thought, so they pretend the atheist is calling himself superior instead of his arguments.

It's a form of Poisoning the Well, trying to discredit through misunderstanding and misinformation.

Let there be free speech for all, at all times, always. :)

See now, that's just ridiculous. A worthless emotional platitude that sounds great in your heart, but if you'd let it into your head long enough to filter out the crazy, you'd see that you don't want people yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater, or any number of situations where allowing people to say anything they want, at all times, always, is inconsistent with public safety and personal privacy.

This kind of bold assertion with bupkis to support it will always get you in trouble in a discussion with science-minded folks.

See now, that's just ridiculous. A worthless emotional platitude that sounds great in your heart, but if you'd let it into your head long enough to filter out the crazy, you'd see that you don't want people yelling "Fire!" in a crowded theater, or any number of situations where allowing people to say anything they want, at all times, always, is inconsistent with public safety and personal privacy.

Alright, thanks? Many atheists I've attempted discussions with see censorship as a "tool" to help support their statements. Though I guess it's not their fault for lacking the ability to express their claims because for the most part they're merely conformists to the idea that "atheism is the cool new thing". I've found that the vast majority have little to no knowledge of science.

And I firmly believe that everyone should be free to speak their mind whenever they feel like it. If you think otherwise, well then, that is un-American of you sir.

This kind of bold assertion with
bupkis to support it will always get you in trouble in a discussion with science-minded folks.

"Science-minded" or not, everyone should have the right to speak freely whenever they want.

A block of compressed snot just shot up my nose and out my mouth.

Cool.