New LaTeX Additions

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I hadn't noticed your post until a few minutes ago :)

I'm looking at ways of enabling people to draw diagrams on here with something like pstricks or similar. If you find any LaTeX packages that you think would be useful, then please let me know.

Sorry' date=' I hadn't noticed your post until a few minutes ago :)

I'm looking at ways of enabling people to draw diagrams on here with something like pstricks or similar. If you find any LaTeX packages that you think would be useful, then please let me know.[/quote']

Thanks for the reply Dave, if I find one I will be shure to let you know!

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

• 2 months later...

Hi nice guys,

I've just installed mimeTeX on my Server, and it's running well. Now, I wanna add mhchem to, like here, but I dunno how to deal with this matter. It's kind of you to give me some instructions.

Thank you very much for your kind attention.

• 4 months later...

I teach high school chemistry and would like to use LaTex to create images I could insert into WORD documents that I then can print on paper or transparencies.

Can I use this facility in an XP environment with WORD documents? If so, where do I get a copy of the program to download to my workstation?

I do not have access to Linus and would rather not have to. I really must use XP.

• 9 months later...

Looks like we lost some stuff during the upgrade. The LaTeX folder was moved to the wrong spot...

Fixed it. LaTeX images will have to regenerate now (they're usually cached), but they should work.

edit: right, I lied. Let me see what I can do.

[math]x^2[/math]

[math]E=mc^2[/math]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Hi!

This is the author of the mhchem LaTeX package. It's nice to see people using my work. Have a lot of fun with it!

If you have any feedback (good or bad), please feel free to contact me. In particular, I would be very interested if you find a chemical expression that mhchem does not support currently.

Hey, thanks for the package, sure helps me out. One thing though..how can I write radical-type reactions: for example:

\ce{Rf-CF2COOH + \cdot\ce{OH} -> Rf-CF2\cdot}\ce{+ CO2 + H2O}

is the only way to write it because with the \reaction command, every dot from the radicals would tranform the OH for instance in italic style like it s not a reaction anymore, so I decided to use the \ce function, it works but... I cant label it as an equation

any ideas?

thanks

You have to open it with tag --> [ce] and close it with tag --> [/ce].

Like this:

[ce]Rf-CF2COOH + \cdot{OH} -> Rf-CF2\cdot + CO2 + H2O[/ce]

That will output the following:

[ce]Rf-CF2COOH + \cdot{OH} -> Rf-CF2\cdot + CO2 + H2O[/ce]

If it were me, I'd just end the CE section after your cdot then begin it again before the OH... Like this:

[ce]Rf-CF2COOH + \cdot[/ce][ce]{OH} -> Rf-CF2\cdot + CO2 + H2O[/ce]

[ce]Rf-CF2COOH + \cdot[/ce][ce]{OH} -> Rf-CF2\cdot + CO2 + H2O[/ce]

yeah exactly, that s what i thought...the thing is...how do I label all this now as a reaction =)

thanks for the feedback. why do you use php commands for latex? where do you edit latex?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

the best thing i have now is this:

\reaction{Rf-CF2COOH + \cdot\ce{OH} -> Rf-CF2\cdot + CO2 + H2O}

with \reaction defined as:

\newcommand\reaction[1]{\begin{equation}\ce{#1}\end{equation}}

\newcommand\reactionnonumber[1]%

{\begin{equation*}\ce{#1}\end{equation*}}

so it is labelled and not italic. BUT now the probleme is the + after the \cdot in.......\cdot + CO2 i get a plus like a cation sign

but that s the best so far, would you know a command to get the + back on the ground like a normal one?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

OK if anybody needs that, i found a way, tricky but it works: just make sure the cdot is isolated like that, it looks then OK, it s labelled, etc.. thanks for your help.

\reaction{Rf-CF2COOH + \cdot\ce{OH} -> {Rf-CF2\cdot} + CO2 + H2O}

Edited by coolsurfer
Consecutive posts merged.

• 2 months later...

H2SO4

Basically, you type whatever comes into your head. LaTeX sorts all the formatting out for you. Let's try a harder example: what about something like an ion H+? Again, type whatever comes into your head:

H+

Click on the image to see the code that generated it.

I should point this out: you need to encapsulate everything in math tags:

[math ]\cf{SUPErB}[/math]

Testing Testing!

[ce] CuCl2 + Na2CO3 -> CuCO3 + 2NaCl [/ce]

[ce] CH3CH2OH ->[{alcohol dehydrogenase}] CH3CHO + H2 [/ce]

[ce] Mg + 2H2O -> Mg(OH)2 + H2 [/ce]

[ce] Cu + Zn^2+ -> Cu^2+ + Zn [/ce]

[ce] FeS + 2HCl -> FeCl2 + H2S [/ce]

[ce] H2O2 + SO2 -> H2SO4 [/ce]

[ce] Acetate + CoA- SH + ATP <=>[{acetyl-CoA synthetase}] Acetyl-S-CoA + AMP + PPi [/ce]

[ce] HCl + H2O <=> H3O+ + Cl- [/ce]

[ce] -OOCCH2CH2COO- ->[{succinate dehydrogenase}] -OOCCH=CHCOO- + H2 [/ce]

[ce] {{x}}_ CuSO4 + 4NH3 -> Cu_{{x}}(NH3)4(SO4)_{{x}} [/ce]

[ce] RNH2 + CO2 <=> RNHCOOH <=> RNHCOO- + H+ [/ce]

Absolutely brilliant; and a fair bit easier to play with than its predecessor, which in itself is a much needed improvement; awesome job Dave! I do believe that reputation points are in order...

Edited by Theophrastus
latex problems

• 3 months later...

Hey guys,

I'm not really new to LaTex, I have already written sveral reports.

But for my next report I have a new challenge:

I have a compound, a metal komplex, that has a top and a bottom center who are connected. Imagine something like C6H10 and to of the carbons are connected with a platinumdicloride....

PtCl2CH((CH2)2)2CH and now I want to show, that the Pt is connected to both carbons. So I have seen a longer "bond" on the top the the formula, that goes from the Pt to the last CH!

Hope u got it ;)

Roy