Designing weapons

Ragnarr Lodbrok

I am not sure why you are asking, but if this is to do with careers in the defence sector I suggest you look at companies jobs and career webpages. This will give you some insight into what they are looking for and what they offer.

You could start with Boeing, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, General Dynamics, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, EADS, Finmeccanica, L-3 Communications and United Technologies.

No shortage of companies willing to turn your science into killing machines while making a ton of money in the process.

I am not sure why you are asking, but if this is to do with careers in the defence sector I suggest you look at companies jobs and career webpages. This will give you some insight into what they are looking for and what they offer.

You could start with Boeing, Lockheed Martin, BAE Systems, General Dynamics, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, EADS, Finmeccanica, L-3 Communications and United Technologies.

No shortage of companies willing to turn your science into killing machines while making a ton of money in the process.

I am afraid that was not the question.

I asked when I realized how much easier design has become thanks to CAD software. 50 years ago everything had to be drawn by hand - today it can be designed and tested in a computer program, together with simulating it's production process etc. So I thought maybe it's possible for a single person to design some basic weaponry.

I am afraid that was not the question.

Afraid could be a good choice of words here.

So I thought maybe it's possible for a single person to design some basic weaponry.

I think it could be the case, depending on what you have in mind. Building it may be a different story.

I meant mechanically simple stuff - small arms (pistols, rifles, sniper rifles, RPGs), simply ballistic missiles (like a winged rocket with a camera, controlled from a computer), grenades, mines, maybe cannons.

I do realize that iw would be next to impossible for someone to single handedly design a tank given it's sheer complexity (electronics, suspension, engine etc.). But more simple things may be in reach of a gifted engineer.

I meant mechanically simple stuff - small arms (pistols, rifles, sniper rifles, RPGs), simply ballistic missiles (like a winged rocket with a camera, controlled from a computer), grenades, mines, maybe cannons.

I do realize that iw would be next to impossible for someone to single handedly design a tank given it's sheer complexity (electronics, suspension, engine etc.). But more simple things may be in reach of a gifted engineer.

Even "simple" systems are going to require knowledge from multiple disciplines. If it flies, you need aeronautics. If it explodes you need chemistry. If it's got electronics, you need to know that. Same for software.

an assault rifle or a simple solid fuel rocket guided from a PC for example.

You could use an arduino, camera and motors to accomplish this. You use the arduino to move the camera and the gun. There should also be buttons to control the firing mechanism. I did see a video on you tube of a guy who used a pre-made radio-controlled ardunio based spider with a harmless gun attachment but he replaced the harmless gun with a high powered laser

Edited by fiveworlds

You can make lots of things if you you use off-the-shelf bits made for each task, but that's not the same as designing it.

Yeah but not everbody has fancy tools to machine parts with. I mean my brother made his final year project out of knex, lego and an arduino and this guy made his final year project out of lego,lejos and java

Edited by fiveworlds

What education is needed to design weapon systems from scratch? Let's say it's basic stuff - an assault rifle or a simple solid fuel rocket guided from a PC for example. Would a mechanical engineer manage to do that?

Design has little to do with education or drafting equipment; it's all in the mind of the beholder. Timothy McVeigh blew the Oklahoma Federal Building to smithereens using the simplest of systems. Making public enquiries such as yours is highly likely to bring you to the attention of the authorities, and undoubtedly already has.

• 3 weeks later...

One would need to possess a wealth of knowledge, mechanics, chemical, biological and structural engineering are required to design a weapon.

I have tried designing a schematic for a nuclear tipped WMD (weapon of mass destruction) - I have the core elements however I know very little in the nuclear field, one of which I don't think I will fully understand without seeing it.

What purpose are you wanting to design your own weapon?

John Browning designed many firearms. He didn't use any modern CAD equipment or tools. His designs are with us to this day.

Katyusha rockets are nothing more than large pop bottle rockets. Anyone could build one. Their accuracy is very low, but if your range is short and your target is very large you might get lucky.

John Browning designed many firearms. He didn't use any modern CAD equipment or tools. His designs are with us to this day.

By himself? Most of the patents I checked are for J. M. & M. S. Browning, and that doesn't preclude having employees who did some of the work.

I made a musket and the only education I have to really back up gunsmithing is a ton of experience with fixing guns growing up, a couple metal shop classes in high school, and a hell of a lot of trial and error. Blacksmiths in the early days of guns learned their trade threw apprenticeship or the same way as I did.

I might also mention when you say basic weapon systems I think of a slingshot and a lead ball, not an assult rifle. Thats a modern magazine fed auto/semi-auto firearm, developed over centuries. Nothing basic about it.

Swan, yes Browning had employees. Some of his original concepts were purely his imagining however. Which are indeed still being manufactured.

there are numerous how to videos online. I won't post links to them but they are easily found...

Which means you are leveraging someone else's experience. Probably many "someones". You aren't doing it from scratch, as described in the OP.

• 1 month later...