full genome sequencing

Der_Neugierige

What sequencing platform?

Sounds like a microarray at the price rather than high throughput sequencing at a coverage that would allow for a decent assembly, which isn't your entire DNA, but a subset of known polymorphic sites across your genome. Given the human genome is over 99% homologous, sequencing the entire thing for each individual serves little purpose.

As for whether or not it's a good idea, do you have any experience in bioinformatics, and what is your purpose in sequencing your genome?

Arete's questions about bioinformatics is an important one. If you're paying $700 for a bunch of unassembled contigs and you don't know how to process all the data or you don't have a set up capable of handling it, you've wasted your money. It's not an especially simple process to put your data together and how you do it depends somewhat on the question you are hoping to have answered.

What sequencing platform?

Sounds like a microarray at the price rather than high throughput sequencing at a coverage that would allow for a decent assembly, which isn't your entire DNA, but a subset of known polymorphic sites across your genome. Given the human genome is over 99% homologous, sequencing the entire thing for each individual serves little purpose.

As for whether or not it's a good idea, do you have any experience in bioinformatics, and what is your purpose in sequencing your genome?

No it's full genome sequencing 10x deep.

Www.fullgenomes.com

I am suffering under a condition called homosexuality. In my case it's biological pathological. I do look very weird and I get sometimes a red face. That's so strange. No some gays like me do REALLY have any fucked up genes.

Perhaps I do have a de novo mutation that causes it. So I will sequence my parents genomes, too. You get it?

Edited by Der_Neugierige

I fail to see how the symptoms you have listed might have anything to do with your sexuality, or why you would think that they were.

What exactly do you hope to find with the information you are seeking (in other words, what sort of literature precedence is there for what you are saying)? How will you know the SNP's they find are in any way important? Do you have any evidence to support what you are thinking / saying at all?

Most importantly, have you considered going to a doctor instead of wasting $750 on something that in all likelihood, isn't going to tell you anything useful?

• 4 weeks later...

Ok lets put the science aside for a moment, lets just say you find a gene that makes you a Homosexual. What precisely do you intend to do about it?

It highly unlikely you will pass this gene on isnt it?

The sad thing is I think you could use the money in a more effective manner to help yourself, companies that charge that kind of money for what you are going to get should be shot!

Please save your money, or maybe spend it in a manner that will help you except who you are.

$750 will cover maybe 6-7 therapy sessions, unless you have a low deductible and your insurance covers it.

I haven't looked into it much yet.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_155046.html

THURSDAY, Oct. 8, 2015 (HealthDay News) -- Scientists are reporting that they've linked the way genes in certain regions of the human genome work to influence sexual orientation in males.

[...]

The investigators looked at identical twins because they share the same DNA. However, genes are also affected by the environment each twin experiences, so they're not clones of each other in terms of how their bodies work, according to the researchers.

The researchers began with information on 140,000 genetic regions and narrowed them down to five regions that appear to have the ability to predict -- 70 percent of the time -- whether an identical male twin is gay or straight based on how genes in those regions work or "express" themselves.

Edited by MonDie

Oh don't be silly!

First I'am from Switzerland so here everything is much more expensive. 7 sessions of psychotherapy cost here about 1000$ not 750$. And anyway I am scientific hardwired. I give a shit on psychology.

I am very happy that I can let sequence my entire DNA!

I do not believe that most gays are gay because of their DNA sequence. But I do believe that some(minority) gay men do have defective genes. I think my homosexuality is caused by a defective gene. Or by 3,4 or 5 genes acting not well with each other because of weird polymorphism.

I have observed gays in my life and I can say in "some" gays their genes have to be defective.

Even me! I mean identical twins look almost pretty the same(face). Why I do look like faggot? I got several times insulted as faggot when they looked at my face. EVEN THIS week I was buying a sandwich and this woman said about me I would look very gay. Now imagine I had twins or clones, wouldn't they look also like me? This would be very strange if they looked not so gay.

I pretty sure if I had a twin he also was gay, because my homosexuality has indeed a direct genetic cause.

This study about epigenetic and homosexuality goes into tne correct direction, but you can't take saliva for predicting sexual orientation. You have examine thw brain cells not the salive. This let me believe the journalist nowadays are little bit shit.

To have the list of de novo mutations could be a start. There is the idea to become scientis and professor so I have the laborities and sources and can fiddle about a solution to fix my homosexuality.

Edited by Der_Neugierige

Why I do look like faggot?

!

Moderator Note

Our rule 2.1 states that Slurs or prejudice against any group of people (or person) are prohibited. Please don't use terms like this, it's completely unnecessary.

Report this post if you don't agree, but don't talk about it off-topic in this thread.

There's been studies showing people adopt characteristics they think are appropriate to whatever group they subscribe to.

Correct and fully endorsed. in times past it was often illegal to be non heterosexual, obviously this didnt mean that homosexuality didnt exist! But people went to extraordinary lengths to cover up their orientation. Things have changed and no longer do most people need to hide who or what they are, if you find people are noticing your orientation then this has nothing to do with genetics.

As a species we can be very intuitive and pick up the most subtle hints of body language, after all this is how people get together! Your biggest problem is not genetic but one of excepting who you are, it may well do you good to speak to people who had a tough time excepting who they are. Spend the money on going out and talking to people who have been in your position.

But lets say we are all wrong, and in your case their is some genetic reason for your preference. Lets also assume you can spot this on your $750 mapping, what precisely is going to change? Will you sue your parents? Even if you are correct what good will it do you in knowing you have defective genes?

I wish you well

GM11

In order to identify novel genes associated with a trait one needs to conduct a genome wide association study (a GWAS). A GWAS is very sensitive to samples size - often a huge number of samples are needed to generate significant results for traits which have many underlying small effect alleles. As such, a single genome will tell you nothing about previously unrecognized genes associated with a given trait, so for your purposes, sequencing your genome will be absolutely useless.

Fortunately, 23 and me have done such a study for you and "We did not find evidence of SNPs associated with sexual identity in men or women".

So in answer to the original question, given your aim in sequencing your genome, I would say it is of no value to you.

I think there is the possibility that within the next 30 years science and medicine will find out the neurobiological and biological functioning of sexuality(sexual orientation and sexual identification). And further 10 or 15 years science is able to manipulate someones sexuality. I would use it.

On the same time I want to become professor in biochemistry, biology and genetics.

My article appears to be about epigenetic differences. Sorry sir.
In order to identify novel genes associated with a trait one needs to conduct a genome wide association study (a GWAS). A GWAS is very sensitive to samples size - often a huge number of samples are needed to generate significant results for traits which have many underlying small effect alleles. As such, a single genome will tell you nothing about previously unrecognized genes associated with a given trait, so for your purposes, sequencing your genome will be absolutely useless.

Fortunately, 23 and me have done such a study for you and "We did not find evidence of SNPs associated with sexual identity in men or women".

I believe genetics is more complex. I mean for this gwas of sexual orientation they only had 1000 gay men. For their gwas of crying habits they had over 72000 who aswered as cryer. They only got these association when they had several 10'000 people asked who showed this trait. It's the same for their gwas of morning preference. They only got these association when they had over 38000 people who prefered to weak up early in the mornings.

This gwas of sexual orientation is too weak for an association. That is probleme. You have to ask 40000 gay men for such a gwas so could get some usefull associations.

Edited by Der_Neugierige

I believe genetics is more complex. I mean for this gwas of sexual orientation they only had 1000 gay men. For their gwas of crying habits they had over 72000 who aswered as cryer. They only got these association when they had several 10'000 people asked who showed this trait. It's the same for their gwas of morning preference. They only got these association when they had over 38000 people who prefered to weak up early in the mornings.

This gwas of sexual orientation is too weak for an association. That is probleme. You have to ask 40000 gay men for such a gwas so could get some usefull associations.

Given the above, what do you hope to achieve by having your genome sequenced?

Given the above, what do you hope to achieve by having your genome sequenced?

I also want to have sequenced my parents genomes. So I can find those 50 to 80 de novo mutations. Then I will examine which of those de novo mutations are in protein coding sequences or splicing sequences.

Additionally I can use ucsc genome browser to check up if some de novo mutation are in cpg islands. And then I can also check up if some de novo mutations are in regulatory sequences(enhancer, promotors etc.) Thank ucsc genome browser you can see very well if a mutation is situated in regulatory elements.

When I would find out the genetic cause for my homosexuality I had a target to fix later as a scientist.

I also want to have sequenced my parents genomes. So I can find those 50 to 80 de novo mutations. Then I will examine which of those de novo mutations are in protein coding sequences or splicing sequences.

Given that previous studies have shown us that:

a) there are zero fixed mutations associated with sexual preference, and

b) any contributing mutations influence it so little that a GWAS including over 23,000 people were unable to identify them

how would you expect to separate false positives from any genuine hits?

It genuinely doesn't sound like a useful endeavor given your intended result.