uncrackable software/encryption algorithms

Adrian

Thanks Faf. I feel pretty secure but why would anyone want the password of harmless old me? I'm not even a pimple on Gods butt. I wouldn't mind if somebody got in and erased some of my debts.

Thanks for sharing that information and the calculations present it real well.

Just aman

yep. however it is just getting passwords. I still maintain that I am right, and that a random encryption key that is as big as the message is uncrackable if only used once (I neglected to say it is only used once in the original point, but I meant it by implication as it is covered by the rest of the statement anyway)

Nothing is uncrackable with the last key.

First floor dungeon. Jewelry department. Leg chains, ankle chains, wrist chains, neck chains, thumb screws and nooses from the finest rope.

Second floor dungeon. Furniture department. Iron lady, the rack, Guillatine, carving table, boiling oil and cages of the finest iron. Thats from the movie "10000 fingers of dr. T."

I guess it will be break the man with the key.

I love being a nobody.

Just aman

I'm just saying the nasties in Gov'ts will be ruthless in getting the key if they need it or the info after it is decrypted.

If they can't break the key then they'll break the men with the key. I hate that espionage crap but it is a reality.

If it was a perfect world then we wouldn't need the codes and in an imperfect world people can behave scary. That's why I enjoy being a nobody who who knows nothing

Just aman

There is a drug that causes short term memory loss that they use now in heart bypass surgury so you don't remember all the tubes or ventilator right after surgery. Maybe that would work on forgetting a message.

Just aman

heh. anyway the emphasis is on protecting the message. It might only be a short term thing, like protecting bank details when a transaction is made, the codes to the Nuclear weapons launch (which are changed on regular intervals) or other military purposes and so on. current methods are okay, such as PPP and so on, but they are crackable - it just takes time. this method of a one time random key that is as big as the message is uncrackable.

• 2 months later...

I dont think there are a such thing as an uncrackable algorithm, unless you create an active encryption method. Meaning, make software that the encryption algorithm shifts every day, and mixes up, due to processes, etc.. It would be almost impossible to crack.. Just like most will say, I'll stick with xor until I learn better :P

Isn't there a law or something that requires you to send encrytion keys to the Government authority if requested?

I may have misinterperated the article that I read about it (was a while ago so I do not have a link).

Also, it was mentioned here that there is no point in having an encryption that can not be decrypted. I Disagree with this completely.

A one-way encryption algorithm is most useful in the case for authentication. For example, a website can keep details of its users in database. These users will not be very happy when they learn that the databose had been compromised and all their passwords are stolen. One-way encryption has its uses here in that instead of storing the passwords in their palin-text form they can be stored in their encrypted hash.

When the user logs into the site the authentication system will check the hash of the submitted password against that of the one kept in the database, if they are equal then they are allowed access. This way, if the database does get compromised then all that would be lost are a few utterly useless hash codes.

• 1 year later...

I have never seen such confusion over something that has been proven. The only completly secure classical encryption method is the one time pad. It has been mathematically proven and is also quite intuitive as well.

As far as quantum key distribution is concerned, it is also theoretically proven to be "uncrackable." The reason for this is, if after comparing a sample of the sifted keys, Alice and Bob can then determine if their mutual (Shannon) information is higher than that of Eve's (by noting the error rate). If it is, they continue, if not, they ditch the key and start over. The simple fact that Eve introduces errors by merely examining the qubits is what makes QKD secure. Too further lower Eve's information about the key, Alice and Bob simply implement well known classical secrecy amplification algorithms. Just check out LANLs preprint server, there are tons of papers that go much more in depth into how it works.

However, "photon guns" that shoot out pulses of exactly one photon are not feasable therefore Eve could use beamsplitting techniques to intercept the key, but I am not all that well versed on this method so I'll go no further. Needless to say, cryptologists are working on methods of cracking QKD, but most of these methods attack the flaws in the technology we are forced to used in implementation, not the physics of QKD itself.

Also, to the guy who said anything that could be decrypted could be cracked: get real. Someone already explained it, but I'll reiterate. The one time pad makes a message secure because if one attempts to decrypt it one could come up with anything of equal length. If you think you can crack the one time pad by all means, have at it. If I were you, I would stick to things in the realm of the possible.

How about hiring a nobody to make a new language (characters included) and storing the decipher keys in nothing but his head. The government would look for the people who had the message or program, but the nobody wouldn't be in that group. And it's hard to find a nobody in a world with 6 Billion + nobodies. Then, of course, pay the nobody with cash (untraceable), and have him access the computer with the program/message on it through 50 different computers, starting at a different computer (public library, internet cafe, etc) each time. And by through 50 different computers, I mean to use that gotomypc thing, then access it on each computer until you finally get to the main computer itself.

But, it requires a lot of money, a real important need, and a computer geek who has a REALLY good memory.