Food with more than 1 Calorie that does not start from the color green

737mechanic

So the question in science class today was " is there a food that has more than one Calorie that does not start from the color green".

In other words meat from a cow starts by the cow eating grass, fish eat seaweed or moss.

I can't think of any and google has not been my friend on this.

If anyone can come up with something I would appreciate it.

I suppose it's assumed that any plant food, whether eaten directly or fed to an animal that is eaten, begins as a green shoot/stem of whatever, IF it grows in the sunlight. If you only knew the power of the Dark Side....*

*Purposefully cryptic response in case this is homework

It isnt really homework we have the entire school year to find an answer but it isn't for any grade. The class will get a pizza if someone can find the answer. Yes we can use the internet. Mushroom isn't the correct answer as someone already said that and the teacher said that wasn't it.

Not all seaweed is green.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laver_(seaweed)

Though I don't understand why the teacher thinks that mushrooms don't count. Perhaps they are saying that the mushrooms feed on decaying plants and those plants were green.

There are animals whose life is based on an energy source other than the sun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrothermal_vent#Biological_communities

I'm not sure if any of them is used as food by people- but those creatures eat each other.

Well the mechanisms of radiotrophy is a bit under discussion. However, it only relates to energy production. For that there are many variations that may or may not be from photosynthetic sources. Typically, fungi are heterotrophs. I.e., independent on how they get energy, they still require an organic carbon source for growth.

What is relevant to this question is a group of organism that is either able to fix inorganic carbon using non-photosynthetic energy or is able to utilize products of these organisms.