• 140 to 149
    • 150 or higher (how high?)
    • approximately that of a household sponge
    • Never Measured

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that there are too many different types of inteligent.

e.g. I might be good at physics but that doesnt mean I can answer the logical questions quickly in an IQ test' date=' so am I not inteligent?

IQ tests test a very specific kinda question, you need to be quick, normally good at maths, logically thinking and also it just depends on the questions!

I find the results far too variant to be classified as reliable, and inteligence at one thing doesn't mean inteligence in another, so you could fail an IQ test and be good at something else and vice versa.[/quote']

I agree with 5614 on this point. I've taken an both a standard IQ test (that I purchased from a bookstore) and the one you can take online. I score between 141-146 (depending on whether I've had my coffee or not!)

I am terrible at math and those darn spatial reasoning questions stump me every time but this does not mean that I am not smart. I'm just smarter in other areas. I got a 28 in Science on my ACT but a 13 in math :rolleyes: (yes, i'm quite retarded in mathematics for a 34 year old person).

Anyway...I agree that it depends on the questions asked. I don't think the tests are really that objective.

I'm of the opinion that IQ tests are only of use for the 5 to 14 year old age group, measured against the same age. Once you get past a certain age you have either begun to use your abilitys to the fullest, or you haven't. Past 25 years and your IQ starts to decline, although you could learn enough about abstract thought to gain a high IQ score.

I have never had my IQ measured (properly). I honestly don't care enough to make the time.

to be honest, I don't remember having mine tested properly either. My results were from an online test I took for fun, so I may not really know for sure. I have heard that IQ is tested in the US when you are in kindergarten, so maybe my true score is in my permanent record somewhere. I can't imagine it being very high, becasue in public school I was a very indifferent, stubborn kid, and would likely have scoffed at taking some test my idiot teacher wanted me to take. But who knows.

I'm of the opinion that IQ tests are only of use for the 5 to 14 year old age group, measured against the same age. Once you get past a certain age you have either begun to use your abilitys to the fullest, or you haven't. Past 25 years and your IQ starts to decline, although you could learn enough about abstract thought to gain a high IQ score.

Yes I agree. After a certain age, having a nice home, a fat bank account, a fabulous spouse, a satisfying job, and good health becomes the sure mark of intelligence, and IQ becomes meaningless.

I have heard that IQ is tested in the US when you are in kindergarten, so maybe my true score is in my permanent record somewhere.

Yes, in the UK we had a state IQ test administered in the 1980's. I think they stopped shortly after starting it, but I'm on file, as it were. It cropped up when I was 15 > 16, as my teachers had the score on my records.

Yes I agree. After a certain age, having a nice home, a fat bank account, a fabulous spouse, a satisfying job, and good health becomes the sure mark of intelligence, and IQ becomes meaningless.

Sadly, after you are 25 it's not just lazyness that decreases the IQ. On the plus side you have a credit card and access to alchohol. :D

When I was in school, I scored really high on those spatial reasoning tests. (I should have, I'd been reading drawings since I was 10). This was before women's lib. The evaluater told me, "If you were a man, we'd recommend you pursue engineering, but since you are not, there is really no category best suited to your talents."

IQ tests are like SATs, they only measure potential. Sure as hell any one with an IQ over 100 can match the work with an IQ of 140 if they put in the effort.

The SATs aren't accurate gages either...they are heavily influenced by study and preperation...I got an 1190 the first time I took it, and a 1360 the second time, after some prep. That's a big jump.

Statistically SAT scores does nothing to indicate individual success in college.

Statistically SAT scores does nothing to indicate individual success in college.

Which I can attest to as well, I never even took the SAT, but the ACT, and I got on dean's list in college and accepted to my chosen university. So there :P

so:

IQ = mental age / actual age * 100

and for me (approx):

140 = mental age / 15 * 100

140 = mental age / 1500

therefore:

mental age = 140 * 1500

mental age = 210' date='000

[u']That can't be right!!![/u]

It isn't right!

I believe the formula is

IQ = (mental age / actual age) * 100

so:140 = (mental age / 15) * 100

1.4 = mental age / 15

implies mentale age = 21

damn it! that's the same age as me!!

In tests I've done, anywhere from 130 to 140.

I doubt this to be correct as my wife tells me that if I work hard and study long (And if I bribe someone), I may someday achieve the position of "Second Junior Assistant Village Idiot".

Her unswerving faith encourages me. :D

edit: seriously IQ does decline with age' date=' I`m not making excuses.[/quote']

Mathematical fact. IQ is measured as [math](Mental age/physical age)*100[/math]. It stands for Intelligence Quotient, by the way. Lets say your mental age is fifteen years more than your physical age. If you're 15 years old, thats an IQ of 200. Now, for a while, these will progress as the same rate as previously, but as anyone with an older relative knows, mental progression, in general, does not progress at the same rate in one's teens as in one's thirties. So, for the sake of math, let's say that your mental and physical progression level out at the age of 20. You're IQ will still be approximately 200 (because previously, the rates of progression were the same - so mental age was always increasing at twice the rate of physical age). Your mental age is roughly 40. Now, for the sake of simplicity, say that, for the rest of your life, they progress at the same rate. When you are 50, your mental age will be 70 (50+20=70). That's equal to an IQ of 140 ([math](7/5)*100=140[/math]. Math. It helps enlighten things.

it doesn`t factor in cellular decay and/or age related illness`s, life style, toxicology etc...

at best it can only be a mean avg :)

and I`m more than sure my IQ has dropped over time too, I notice the difference in little things and I`m only 37!

I`m no where NEAR as fast as I used to be in quite a few things, and it feels normal to me.

Well, sadly, I just took that one at the International High IQ Society . . . and scored 108.

I guess that pretty much makes me stupid in front of all of you people right?

I suppose so, but still, that's pretty damaging to my psyce, knowing I'm talking to super-intelligent geniuses and whatnot.