Extrinsic motivations can replace instrinsic motivations to study?

Mr Rayon

Is it true that if someone is initially intrinsically motivated to study and do well, if they are given extrinsic reasons to become motivated, often than not the person becomes reliant on extrinsic motivations to study?

How true is this?

I have always been an instrincally motivated student and repressed extrinsic motivations.

I will you note that you have been externally motivated to not just post everything to the Lounge, and yet you continue to do just that, so external motivations in general may have no effect whatsoever on behavior.

How do we get you to intrinsically motivate yourself to post in the proper section of the forum?

I didn't even know that extrinsic and intrinsic motivation were things. But this seems to answer the question:

While offering rewards can increase motivation in some cases, researchers have also found that this is not always the case. In fact, offering excessive rewards can actually lead to a decrease in intrinsic motivation.

The tendency of extrinsic motivation to interfere with intrinsic motivation is known as the overjustification effect. This involves a decrease in intrinsically motivated behaviors after the behavior is extrinsically rewarded and the reinforcement is subsequently discontinued.

More at: http://psychology.about.com/od/eindex/f/extrinsic-motivation.htm