Recombination Percentage & Independent Assorment

Dagreton

Hey there!

I am a bit confused with my book as it mentions: "When the distance between 2 genes (on the same chromosome) decreases, thus the chance of recombination decreases and the phenomenon of the independent assortment increases(!)

So my question is: how the heck the phenomenon of independent assortment increases? Shouldn't it decrease?

Thanks,

Dagreton

I certainly not an expert but if my understanding is correct then if the genes are close together on the chromosome then there is a possibility they will be linked and stay together during recombination. When this happens it is a different phenomena than independent assortment. So basically I would think the opposite of the statement is true. That is when the distance between 2 genes (on the same chromosome) decreases the chance of recombination increases and the phenomenon of the independent assortment decreases.

However, that being said, I feel like we're missing the (possibly important) first part of the quoted statement. I feel like the thought is incomplete. What does the book say before the "...when the distance between"?

Hey there!

I am a bit confused with my book as it mentions: "When the distance between 2 genes (on the same chromosome) decreases, thus the chance of recombination decreases and the phenomenon of the independent assortment increases(!)

So my question is: how the heck the phenomenon of independent assortment increases? Shouldn't it decrease?

Thanks,

Dagreton

Why do you think that it should decrease?