Is there some kind of software that tests for possible number exrapolations?

MWresearch

Suppose I have a number, any random number like .3252389472395872394729..., is there software that will test possible exact formulas containing certain parameters, like if I want it to test if that number could be some coefficient of pi or e or e*pi or sin(tan(cos(sin(tan(cos(42424244424)?

Suppose I have a number, any random number like .3252389472395872394729..., is there software that will test possible exact formulas containing certain parameters, like if I want it to test if that number could be some coefficient of pi or e or e*pi or sin(tan(cos(sin(tan(cos(42424244424)?

Try Wolfram Alpha Computational Knowledge Engine

You can input numbers and word instruction together such as 'factor' or 'expand'. It also responds to word only entries such as 'size of the Universe'. Signing up for a free subscription gives you some additional features, such as copyable plain text answers.

Well I'm here specifically because wolfram alpha doesn't remotely do what I need it to. What I'm trying to do is something like "test .535... for coefficients of e^(n/52)..." at which point it would give me a list of numbers that yield minimum of .535... in the number for different values of n in e^(52/n), likely expanding to .535939048103850580... or some other irrational number.

Well I'm here specifically because wolfram alpha doesn't remotely do what I need it to. What I'm trying to do is something like "test .535... for coefficients of e^(n/52)..." at which point it would give me a list of numbers that yield minimum of .535... in the number for different values of n in e^(52/n), likely expanding to .535939048103850580... or some other irrational number.

:shrug: It's the most sophisticated tool I know of that even remotely matches your request. There is always the issue of GIGO, so maybe you're not phrasing things properly.

I guess my first instinct is to wonder why you're searching for a tool like this. Basically, it looks like a tool to 'help' numerology people. "Like, ZOMG people, cos(tan(exp(J1(pi)))) shares 4 of the digits of my birthday!!!!1!!"

The reason no specific tool exists that you're looking for, basically, is that it isn't really all that interesting.

If you really want a tool like this, learn some programming like python or java or similar and make your own. I don't think it would be very hard to code up. You just need a language that can do some higher precision calculations + some string manipulations and you are good to go.

So, again, I am curious why you're looking for this. The results would be little more than curiosities to professionals, I would think.

I guess my first instinct is to wonder why you're searching for a tool like this. Basically, it looks like a tool to 'help' numerology people. "Like, ZOMG people, cos(tan(exp(J1(pi)))) shares 4 of the digits of my birthday!!!!1!!"

The reason no specific tool exists that you're looking for, basically, is that it isn't really all that interesting.

If you really want a tool like this, learn some programming like python or java or similar and make your own. I don't think it would be very hard to code up. You just need a language that can do some higher precision calculations + some string manipulations and you are good to go.

So, again, I am curious why you're looking for this. The results would be little more than curiosities to professionals, I would think.

I don't have time to learn python so if it's actually as simple as you say it is, then there should be hundreds of tools like that. Doesn't matter if it's interesting, there's literally an app where all you do is roll toilet paper, I'm sure there's some mathematical help tool. In fact, there's an app that's literally just a red orb and yet people bought it, so being boring especially in math is no excuse.

There is the Inverse Symbolic Calculator;

http://isc.carma.newcastle.edu.au/standardCalc

That link said "404 not found." All I'm looking for is a tool where I punch in a number like 0.7071 and it says "sqrt(2)/2 is 0.7071067811865..." where I set certain parameters like "only use functions ^1/x, tan(x), cos(x), ^x, ln(x), only use numbers 1-10" or something like that.

Edited by MWresearch

That's very close to what I was looking for, thanks.

No problem and sorry that the first link was broken. Just a copy and paste error.

I have used the Inverse Symbolic Calculator for fun. I am not sure if you can really get much meaningful from it. Anyway, have fun with it.