Stamina, how does it work?

I always eat 3 times a day and I think I'm pretty fit for my age (I can run fastest in my class and long-distance when I feel perfect (rare) )

But...when it comes to long-distance running all I can think of is food.

This is strange because I eat healthy and adequately and my friend doesn't even eat lunch and still run and seem fine.

And its not my lungs that I have problem when I run. Is there something wrong with me? If so, how can i fix it? I also have a headache when running.

from my simple understanding, there are 2 sorts of Muscle that we have, one type is great for Fast response but it tires easily (something to do with O2 requirements IIRC), this is the type that sprinters use.

and then there`s the other sort that just keeps on going, it`s not particularly fast and its O2 requirements are less, this is the sort that Marathon runners use.

each individual has both of these sort, but some favour 1 type over the other.

I`m sure someone will be able to expand on this much better :)

Those 2 muscle types are slow twitch and fast twitch. As yt says, the fast twitch is for weight lifters and it tires quickly, and the slow twitch is for endurance.

The secret to distance running is to build up your base of endurance. If you are not having trouble with your oxygen intake, then you are not trying to run too fast but you need to keep pushing your limits.

Go as far as you can on one day, then the next day go about 1/2 that far. That is your recovery day. On the third daym run about 3/4 as far as you did on day one, then on day 4 go as far as you can again and keep repeating that cycle.

Stay within your comfort zone and relax. Don't expect to see results the first week or two, but over the summer, you will have your endurance base built up to perhaps twice what it is now.

Oh, another thing, if your feer or legs start hurting, buy better shoes.

It's all very well training for endurance, but if you don't pack the right amount of carbs at the right time you aren't going to be able to run very far anyway.

Look into nutrition for training and exercise, as well as Syntax's endurance advice.

What about training routines for sprinting? I play paintball and need to be able to sprint all the time. Most people say to me "Just do sprints in your spare time", but I usually don't have much spare time for doing that, as well as having inclimate weather to deal with, living in Pennsylvania. Will doing calf exercises help?

Yeh. As far as i know, pure muscle building is good for short bursts of sprinting etc.

You may even want to invest in some of that Protein drink they sell, its sold in bulk, so dont be put off by the price tage

For sprinting you need to make PowerUps, in other words, short intense muscle fatigue, sprinting is obviously usefull to improve you sprint speed and stamina. as for gym rutine for sprinting are the hack the max height you can hold to make 8 reps and the leg press in upper position. I am a Guard in my football team and i need to make sprints to overpass the speed of the runners in a short term in order to protect them.

I suppose that this perfectly fits for paint ball.

in the other hand, stamina and about what was already told well supose your veins and your muscle requirments must go throug a path and well is not the same an off-road than a max-highway, think it in that way, and also the heart strength, isn't the same a vw than a ferrari. ;)

I fully agree. I played paintball for the first time in my life this past weekend, and I must say that endurance is very important to have. The first few games we played I was fine and was able to sprint and felt fine. After those games, however, my endurance just dropped and I was rundown and unable to move quickly anymore. (I have a ton of welts because of that. lol). My leg muscles are killing me right now and cramping up, so I'm just trying to increase my potassium intake and just get used to the high level of activity. After a while of this type of exertion, your body will get used to it and adjust.