How to destroy the Earth

Bruno da Silva

As title says, i wanna know how I could destroy the Earth.

"Destroying the Earth is harder than you may have been led to believe. ... This is not a guide for wusses whose aim is merely to wipe out humanity. ... This is a guide for those who do not want the Earth to be there anymore."

http://qntm.org/destroy

Edited by Strange

What exactly do you mean by "destroy". Do you mean converting it to an expanding mass of rubble that never comes back together. In which case you are going to need to over come the gravitational binding energy of the Earth which is some 4.49e32 joules of energy. That quite a bit of energy and not easy to come by unless you happen to have a spare 2.4 trillion thermonuclear warheads of 50 megaton yield each sitting around.

Destroy humanity (and leave the rest of the planet alone): probably easiest with a virus? Nuclear war might be another option.

Destroy all life on our planet (but leave the rocks alone): you'll need more than all the warheads on our planet. But building many many many more warheads might achieve it. An asteroid of 10 times the diameter of the one that finished the dinosaurs too (but I didn't do the math, so if you wanna make sure, get an even larger one).

Break our planet apart (but allow it to settle back into a new planet): smash something the size of our moon into it.

Break our planet apart permanently: either slow it down enough to make it fall into the sun (you can calculate the kinetic energy you need to overcome), or smash something incredibly large and fast into it. Janus gave you an answer a few posts above, but I am not able to check it.

But since the question was not clear: I advise all of the above.

The International Earth Destruction Advisory Board (IEDAB) is an independent scientific institution which monitors the current status of the Earth and the number of times it has been destroyed.

It is our duty to inform you that as of 7:35:05am UTC on September 10, 2008, the Earth has been destroyed.

http://qntm.org/board

Edited by Strange

- to convert Earth into volatile stuff like light, just use a matter-to-antimater transmutation device. I don't think the transmutation process can use lot of energy.

- to destroy all information about Earth (except for mass, charge and angular momentum), you should create a small black hole and feed Earth to it (don't burn yourself!). You should be able to create a small black hole efficiently.

- to destroy surface, all life or at least humans, you might try to infiltrate the NADDI ("National Agency to Deflect Dangerous Impactors" - will be founded shortly) and then sneakingly use their technology to deflect an appropriate-size impactor toward Earth. You can use government money, so the efficiency is not very important.

- to destroy civilization, there are some pretty cool advices in other threads on this site - like the one where some suggest nuking a 2-million city in SA. The efficiency is very good because others will finish what you started.

- to destroy one man, marry him. I don't know the exact mechanism, but it works and works good.

I'm looking for serious answers.

You've had several.

Perhaps you could contribute a bit more, and clarify what you're really looking for. From the couple of bits you've posted, you sound like someone who's angrily walked into a pawn shop, red in the face, asking to buy a gun, and are demanding to be taken seriously.

We know you have an extremely low probability of destroying the Earth, but I'd sure like to know I'm not helping to destroy even a little part. How about some serious clarification?

We're looking for serious questions.

Why isn't mine a serious one?

What exactly do you mean by "destroy". Do you mean converting it to an expanding mass of rubble that never comes back together. In which case you are going to need to over come the gravitational binding energy of the Earth which is some 4.49e32 joules of energy. That quite a bit of energy and not easy to come by unless you happen to have a spare 2.4 trillion thermonuclear warheads of 50 megaton yield each sitting around.

Sorry, my mistake. I'm gonna explain it now. I wanna know a way to annihilate everything from single-celled life upwards, make the Earth be uninhabitable forever. If not forever, at least until Sun explodes.

Just sit back and wait about 3 billion yrs.

The Sun will do it for you.

Or are you in a rush ?

Yes, I'm in a rush.

Do you want to know how to destroy the planet itself or just all life on it?

I wanna know a way to annihilate everything from single-celled life upwards, make the Earth be uninhabitable forever. If not forever, at least until Sun explodes.

Destroy humanity (and leave the rest of the planet alone): probably easiest with a virus? Nuclear war might be another option.

Destroy all life on our planet (but leave the rocks alone): you'll need more than all the warheads on our planet. But building many many many more warheads might achieve it. An asteroid of 10 times the diameter of the one that finished the dinosaurs too (but I didn't do the math, so if you wanna make sure, get an even larger one).

Break our planet apart (but allow it to settle back into a new planet): smash something the size of our moon into it.

Break our planet apart permanently: either slow it down enough to make it fall into the sun (you can calculate the kinetic energy you need to overcome), or smash something incredibly large and fast into it. Janus gave you an answer a few posts above, but I am not able to check it.

But since the question was not clear: I advise all of the above.

I wanna know a way to annihilate everything from single-celled life upwards, make the Earth be uninhabitable forever. If not forever, at least until Sun explodes.

How has the Earth been destroyed if we're still here?

You've had several.

Perhaps you could contribute a bit more, and clarify what you're really looking for. From the couple of bits you've posted, you sound like someone who's angrily walked into a pawn shop, red in the face, asking to buy a gun, and are demanding to be taken seriously.

We know you have an extremely low probability of destroying the Earth, but I'd sure like to know I'm not helping to destroy even a little part. How about some serious clarification?

New questions

Whatever the way I would choose to destroy the Earth: Would I need more people? Where can / How do I recrute more people? Would it take a lot of money?

Where can i find more websites about annihilating everything / destroying the Earth?

What kind of college should I do to achieve it, if destroying the Earth is what I choose? (quantum physics, atomic physics, astrophysics, eletronic and mechanical engineering, mathematics and possibly robotics?)

How should I start if I choose the atomic bombs way?

Edited by Bruno da Silva

New questions

Whatever the way I would choose to destroy the Earth: Would I need more people? Would it take a lot of money?

I thought you said you were serious about this?! Every answer you've had so far tells you the answer to these two questions. You're wasting time we could be spending at the beach, before the world ends.

The only place we know for sure that life exists, and you don't want it around anymore, not even a speck of it. OK.

You'd have to go with one of the more complete scenarios, something that prevents the planet from forming again. Something massive you could do in your lifetime. Do you have a limit on resources, or can we assume you've taken over the world and have access to everything?

Yes, I'm in a rush.

If you're trying to be remembered as the guy who destroyed the Earth and all its life, you may want to rethink this scenario. Leave some to tell the tale.

New questions

Whatever the way I would choose to destroy the Earth: Would I need more people? Would it take a lot of money?

It would take three people full time for a week, and one person for a couple of hours per day.

You could do it for under $100.

I thought you said you were serious about this?! Every answer you've had so far tells you the answer to these two questions. You're wasting time we could be spending at the beach, before the world ends.

The only place we know for sure that life exists, and you don't want it around anymore, not even a speck of it. OK.

You'd have to go with one of the more complete scenarios, something that prevents the planet from forming again. Something massive you could do in your lifetime. Do you have a limit on resources, or can we assume you've taken over the world and have access to everything?

If you're trying to be remembered as the guy who destroyed the Earth and all its life, you may want to rethink this scenario. Leave some to tell the tale.

I'm serious about this. I really wanna do it. And it's not about vanity. There's only one reason for me to be wanting to do it: pain. Ending with all life you will also be ending all the suffering on the Earth. Simple.

It would take three people full time for a week, and one person for a couple of hours per day.

You could do it for under $100.

I mean if it would take a lot of money to make my doomsday weapon.

I mean if it would take a lot of money to make my doomsday weapon.

You don't seem to be taking these answers very seriously. Maybe you should give the computer back to your mum and get on with your homework.

I did wonder if getting everyone to jump at the same time would cause enough damage. It turns out it would be pretty bad, but not that bad.

https://what-if.xkcd.com/8/

I'm serious about this. I really wanna do it. And it's not about vanity. There's only one reason for me to be wanting to do it: pain. Ending with all life you will also be ending all the suffering on the Earth. Simple.

You would also be ending all the joy. I have reported you to the FBI as a terrorist.

Simple. But not easy. Classic example.

OK, now that we know what you want to do, we can start paring away at the task. Single-celled organisms, do you really think they feel pain? Or are you just wiping them out too because they might evolve into something that feels pain? In five billion years, before the sun goes red giant, that could certainly happen.

Let's look at this from another angle. Removing the Earth as a habitable place is probably beyond your means. You'd have to recruit an army of minions who also hated life because of the pain, and would agree it's OK for you to make that decision for everyone and everything. Sooooo, if you could talk people into that, why don't you just convince all the people that life is too painful and we should all work together to destroy the whole planet?

The toughest part would be historical precedence. What you describe is pretty much the definition of Evil, and I think people will be suspicious and defensive when you first start talking to them. DO NOT GET A CAT. Don't give up, and if you find a few people who think the pain is worth it, well, nihilism isn't for the faint of heart.

I will say this, if you can't destroy the whole thing, don't destroy any of it. You'd just be creating more pain.

Edit to add: Hey, if you're serious about this, have you researched pain at all? Do you know why we feel pain, why it helps, why it's absolutely necessary to human life, or have you just decided pain is only painful and unnecessary?

Edited by Phi for All