Wat is your favorite chemicals reaction/demo/etc.? (poll)

akcapr

Thats way to hard a question. I have abinch i like. Some of my favorites are potassium permanganate and glycerin, copper chloride plus aluminum powder, i know theres more, but thats kinda a hard question.

Production of singlet oxygen through hydrogen peroxide decomposition and chlorine gas.

Mixture of chlorine gas bubbles and acetylene gas bubbles underwater.

Ignition of White Phopshorus absorbed onto paper via dissolution in CS2.

Formation of sodium chloride via sodium metal and chlorine gas.

Formation of hydrogen chloride gas via the light initiated reaction between chlorine and hydrogen.

Formation of water via a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and the introduction of a warm platinum wire.

Reduction of mercuric oxide into oxygen gas and mercury droplets.

Oxidation of the Br- ion to elemental bromine via chlorine gas.

Reduction of copper oxide to copper metal via heating in a hydrogen atmosphere.

Formation of liquid oxygen by placing liquid nitrogen in a non-insulated metal cup.

Flowing oxygen gas through a liquid nitrogen cooled trap and collecting the blue-colored liquid oxygen, then pouring it through a magnet and watching it stick to the poles of the magnet before boiling away.

Burning magnesium ribbon then hammering onto dry ice and seeing the reaction increase dramatically.

God there are so many more that I'm trying to remember. :D

Na metal dunked into H2O...:D Not as sophisticated as those already mentioned, but just as fun.

Na????

I mean like Rb (or Cs) + H2O is ok, but Na? It's just not explosive enough!

Na + Cl2 is quite an interesting reaction

Mg burning in pure O2

NI3

Just general pyrotechnics is normally interesting!

and of course all the others already said, I dont really have one favourite, they're all good!

cant rember wich it is, but its the one abit above potasim on the perodic table, uinfortunatley as its entirley sythetic and has a half life of about 30 seconds it hasnt been dipped in water, but if you did itd beprety violent

Above potassium are lithium and sodium. Both of those react less vigorously than potassium does and are completey stable elements. (I.E. their radioactive isotopes are man-made, or exist in such small quantities that they basically don't exist). Any element with an atomic number less than 84 is non-radioactive. (Except number 43 and 61, technetium and promethium. They're just weirdos. ;) ) I think you might be thinking of Francium which is the first alkali metal with no stable isotopes. The most francium ever made at one time is about 200,000 atoms, and it's half-life is about 22 seconds, I believe. In terms of reactivity with water, I can guarantee you that you'd see absolutely no difference betwen Fr, Cs, and Rb in terms of reaction intensity and rate. Even with Rb and Cs it's very difficult to see any difference due to how quickly it all reacts. At that point, it's like trying to tell the difference between touching a 4000 degree piece of metal and a 5000 degree piece of metal. Both metals are much hotter than you can detect a difference in.

At that point, it's like trying to tell the difference between touching a 4000 degree piece of metal and a 5000 degree piece of metal. Both metals are much hotter than you can detect a difference in.

good way to put it.

Just thought to test new feature and add some useful synths here. Not especially cool but rather usefull. Thats what i like.

[math]

\ce{H2SO4 + KNO3 -> KHSO4 + HNO3}

[/math]

[math]

\ce{H2SO4 + NaCl -> NaHSO4 + HCl}

[/math]

[math]

\ce{H2SO4 + CH3COONa -> NaHSO4 + CH3COOH}

[/math]

[math]

\ce{NH4NO3 + KCl -> KNO3 + NH4Cl}

[/math]