Is Earth a prison? To me it certainly seems like it

Most people on Earth, including me, are living in poverty and there is not much we can do about it.

People are held captive by their own flesh and blood.

The way I see it the Earth could be thought of as a prison that houses tormented souls, held captive by their very own flesh and blood and tormented endlessly with painless death not being an option for them.

Edited by seriously disabled

Honestly, the very idea seems to be the prison, if you ask me. Worse still, the concept basically throws away the key as well, ensuring one never has a chance to get out. If you're making this analogy up, why not make it possible to change?

There's currently nothing you can do about your location within the universe. For all we know, this may be the only place anywhere that can do what Earth has done. This is a place that makes life possible in the first place. Once you have that, you get to be in the story, and whatever role you end up playing, at least you're playing.

It takes a lot of little bits to make a life possible, and a lot of maintenance once the life is up and running. As long as all the little bits are working to a certain standard, life continues. The show continues to play. Tragedy, comedy, there usually is a mix of both, all happening in a specific way because you're a part of it, you affect this part of the universe, your life is part of others and you matter. The alternative is, the show ends, the theater goes dark, the story stops for you.

There is no doubt in my mind that many people are living difficult, sad, awful stories, stories that make me weep but also make me determined to do my part to help. My heart goes out to anyone living in harsh and uncaring circumstances. You're part of a society of the most cooperative, intelligent, capable species on the planet, and all I can say at this point is that you haven't met the right humans yet if you consider yourself a captive. I would argue that your worldview needs to include a mechanism for positive change, whether it's a key, or a ladder, or even a shovel to dig your way out.

People are held captive by their own flesh and blood.

Or freed by it, your choice; choose the negative/dark and the path is difficult to follow; choose the positive/light and the way is clear.

Heaven is here and now if you decide it is, otherwise you condemn yourself to live through hell.

Edit.. IOW

Edited by dimreepr

The way I see it the Earth could be thought of as a prison

I wondered once that it maybe just one large mental institution... but where are the staff!? I'm feeling a lot better now and think I want to go home.

Most people on Earth, including me, are living in poverty and there is not much we can do about it.

The first part of that doesn't appear to be true:

1. The number of people living on less than $1.25 per day has dramatically decreased in the last three decades, from half of the citizens in the developing world in 1981 to 21% in 2010. But, there are still there are still more than 1.2 billion people living in extreme poverty.

2. The top five poorest countries in the world are India (with 33% of the world's poor), China (13%), Nigeria (7%), Bangladesh (6%) and the Democratic Republic of Congo (5%).

3. Adding another five countries — Indonesia, Pakistan, Tanzania, Ethiopia and Kenya — would include almost 80% of the world's extreme poor.

http://mic.com/articles/89717/45-surprising-facts-about-extreme-poverty-around-the-world-you-may-not-have-realized

Whether you can do anything about your personal situation, or the world's, is more difficult to answer. Maybe if you joined one of the many organizations looking to tackle poverty you could make a difference. It might make you feel better about your own life too.