What do you think of this hypothesis for the function of sleep ?

asd2791

Hypothesis:
At first, it's essential to know that the "Respiratory rate" increases, for example when, you practise sport or when you have psychological and nervous tension , and decreases when you rest or sleep.I have found that there is a clear link or relation between hours of sleep and the Respiratory rate, the higher the Respiratory rate increases, the more hours of sleep we have, and the less the Respiratory rate, the less hours of sleep we have.
Look at the following table:
Age Respiratory rate in one minute The hours of sleep
New Baby 40- 50 16 – 20 hours per day
infant 30 14 – 15 hours
Adolescence/ teenage 16 - 19 9-11 hours
Puberty / maturity 12-15 7-8 hours
When the respiratory rate increases, the blood turns to alkaline, and when you sleep, the respiratory rate decreases, and the blood turns into acidity, so it seems to me that the function of sleep is to reduce the respiratory rate in order to lift the acidity of the blood.
Also, this hypothesis is explain : Why do we yawn before we sleep?
Answer : We yawn for output tears,
And tears are alkaline liquid,
Means that we yawn for output Some of alkaline, And thus raise acidity.
Second question :Why the long Wakefulness Increase The need for sleep ?

The answer: It is known that the activity of human Wakefulness needs to be energy obtained from compound ATP, And then turns ATP compound to compound ADP and AMP compound,And Because of the accumulation of ADP Activates the enzyme composition "pyruvic acid" in the cell and thus activates the process of "cellular respiration antenna" In the cell,It is known that "cellular aerobic respiration" in the process of increasing the alkaline body. Thus becomes The body in an urgent need to sleep for more than acidity.

Finally : in the morning due to sleep Must be high acidity , according to my hypothesis
another evidence:
When the injection "kainic acid"in a area of the brain there was an increase in wakefulness, and a decrease in all the stages of sleep,
another evidence:
A-seawater pH is typically limited to a range between 7.5 and 8.4.
see the following link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawater
B-I think, there are plenty of fish they do not sleep. such as bluefish, Atlantic mackerel, tuna, bonito, and some sharks, swim continuously and do not show signs, behavioural or otherwise, of sleep ,
C-according to my hypothesis, this may be due to the acidity of the sea.
Edited by asd2791

The pH of blood is usually so tightly regulated (7.4 +/- 0.05) that you could use it to calibrate pH meters (at least for school and college use- you might need to do better for professional work).

On the other hand, in some disease states the pH varies rather more than that.

But those high pH and low pH states are not strongly characterised by sleepiness or wakefulness.

So blood pH is not directly related to sleep.

Having said that, blood pH falls slightly with age

http://www.vivalis.si/uploads/datoteke/1a96.pdf

and older people (who have slightly more acidic blood) will generally sleep less.

And one documented symptom of acidosis is tiredness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acidosis#Signs_and_symptoms

The big problem is that changes in blood pH due to things like eating (where lots of acid is transferred to the stomach to digest food; leaving the blood more alkaline) or running for a bus (where acid production in the muscles would acidify the blood) both lead to tiredness.

And, of course, we recover our normal pH quite quickly, and without sleeping after those sorts of events.

It's clearly not the whole story, but there might be something to it.

New evidence

Animal Name: Giraffe

The hours of sleep : 4.6 hours per day , the evidence :

Respiratory rate in one minute : 8–10, the evidence :

Full text here:

Edited by asd2791

New evidence of what exactly? That a Giraffe gets 4.6 hours of sleep and that it's respiratory rate is 8-10, yes. It doesn't connect the two though from what I could tell.... unless I didn't read it thoroughly enough.

Look at the following table:

Please provide the source(s) for this data. (Otherwise, I will treat it the same way I would at work: assume you have invented it.)

When the respiratory rate increases, the blood turns to alkaline, and when you sleep, the respiratory rate decreases, and the blood turns into acidity

Please provide some evidence to support this claim.

Also, this hypothesis is explain : Why do we yawn before we sleep?

Answer : We yawn for output tears,

And tears are alkaline liquid,

Means that we yawn for output Some of alkaline, And thus raise acidity.

This claim appears to be completely ludicrous. So please quantify this effect:
- How often do we yawn before sleep?
- How often does this cause tears to flow?
- What is the volume of these tears?
- What is the pH of this fluid?
- What effect does this have on the pH of the body?

The answer: It is known that the activity of human Wakefulness needs to be energy obtained from compound ATP

Please provide some support for this claim.

Finally : in the morning due to sleep Must be high acidity , according to my hypothesis

Please provide some evidence from this paper for the claim that "in the morning due to sleep Must be high acidity". Because I can't see any.

When the injection "kainic acid"in a area of the brain there was an increase in wakefulness, and a decrease in all the stages of sleep,
I assume that you are claiming that this is because kainic acid is acidic? Rather than because it activates neuroreceptors. If so, please provide some evidence for that.
A-seawater pH is typically limited to a range between 7.5 and 8.4.
see the following link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawater
B-I think, there are plenty of fish they do not sleep. such as bluefish, Atlantic mackerel, tuna, bonito, and some sharks, swim continuously and do not show signs, behavioural or otherwise, of sleep ,

Please show a connection between the pH of seawater and that of the fish.

Also there are other marine animals that do sleep. How does your hypothesis explain that?

New evidence of what exactly? That a Giraffe gets 4.6 hours of sleep and that it's respiratory rate is 8-10, yes. It doesn't connect the two though from what I could tell.... unless I didn't read it thoroughly enough.

evidence of that there is a clear link or relation between hours of sleep and the Respiratory rate

Where? They show or rather report that a giraffe sleeps for 4.6 hours, fine, and that it has a respiratory rate of 8 to 10, fine. Where does it show a correlation between sleeping hours and respiratory rate... I could not see it.

Please provide the source(s) for this data. (Otherwise, I will treat it the same way I would at work: assume you have invented it.)

Regarding to "Respiratory rate" Look at "the green table" In the following link : Click here
You can use Google translation to understand the table
Regarding to "The hours of sleep" see the following link
Edited by asd2791

evidence of that there is a clear link or relation between hours of sleep and the Respiratory rate

Even if there were such a link (which you have not demonstrated) you need to remember: "correlation is not causation".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

For example, there is a correlation between frequency with which men shave and their risk of heart disease. It is very unlikely that shaving more often prevents heart disease.

You also need to rule out false correlations. For example, there is a strong correlation between the number of people who drown by falling into a pool and the number of films Nicholas Cage appeared in.

number-people-who-drowned-by-falling-int

Or between the age of Miss America and the number of murders by steam, hot vapor or hot objects.

age-of-miss-america_murders-by-steam-hot

http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

Therefore you need to do some work to rule out some other common or confounding factors.

Well put Strange... I was kinda hinting at the same thing. My next approach would have been to show some erroneous plots like you have of Number off beans eaten for tea on a Thursday vs. Mass murders in central Alaska. There are loads of things that follow the same curve that are unrelated but appear to be if you plot them.

Another evidence
Animal Name: cat
The hours of sleep : 13–14 hours being the average
Respiratory rate in one minute : (28 bpm) being the average [1]

------------------
1- Adapted from Reece W.O., Respiration in Mammals, in Dukes' Physiology of Domestic Animals, 12th ed., Reece W.O., Ed. Copyright 2004 by Cornell University.
Edited by asd2791

You need to consider other factors. For example:

- Cats are very small while giraffes are very large. What do you think the significance of this might be? What other data would you need to eliminate this as a factor?

- Cats are carnivores and predators. Giraffes are vegetarian and (potentially) prey (although probably not of domestic cats). What do you think the significance of this might be? What other data would you need to eliminate this as a factor? (I'll give you a clue: many predators will hunt, get one large meal and then spend hour or even dyas sleeping. On the other hand, animals that east leaves and fruit need to eat almost continuously to get enough nutrition. Also, animals that may be hunted tend to spend a lot of time awake to minimize the time they might be eaten.)

Do you begin to see a problem with choosing just two data points and trying to create a hypothesis?

You need to consider other factors. For example:

- Cats are very small while giraffes are very large. What do you think the significance of this might be? What other data would you need to eliminate this as a factor?

For example the shark never sleeps, Knowing that the shark Smaller than the Giraffe.

- Cats are carnivores and predators. Giraffes are vegetarian and (potentially) prey (although probably not of domestic cats). What do you think the significance of this might be? What other data would you need to eliminate this as a factor? (I'll give you a clue: many predators will hunt, get one large meal and then spend hour or even dyas sleeping. On the other hand, animals that east leaves and fruit need to eat almost continuously to get enough nutrition. Also, animals that may be hunted tend to spend a lot of time awake to minimize the time they might be eaten.)

Also the shark is a predator, However this is not sleep.

Sorry I made a mistake, The error has been corrected.

Edited by asd2791

Sharks don't sleep because they have to keep moving to keep water flowing through their gills. They can and do sleep if they can find a perch with flowing water. I saw it on a documentary about sharks once... they found a tunnel/cave system under the sea with lots of rocky ledges where the sharks rested - the flow of water through the cave enabled them to remain stationary whilst still having water flowing through their gills.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sleep is the normal state of existence. We're only 'awake' to obtain food, reproduce and secure safe shelter (to sleep).

We are a bag of cells. And other than the above, why on earth would cells club together (brain cells in particular) and expend energy to create 'consciousness'. It serves no purpose other than the above.

Low sleep period since the sixties, According to "sleep" book may be the reason : Increasing the rate of obesity .

Book sleep on the link:

https://books.google.com.sa/books?id=GGjbPaRvIZgC&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22Steven+W.+Lockley%22&hl=ar&sa=X&ved=0CCMQuwUwAGoVChMIhdiUxqTdxwIVS1wUCh0VVgZH#v=onepage&q&f=false

But according to my hypothesis may be the reason : Increase "the rate of carbon dioxide" in the air, As a result of vehicle exhaust, and Factories ... etc

Edited by asd2791

• 2 weeks later...
Sleep and Metabolism: An Overview

"Sleep duration in mammals generally depends on the size of the animal [5]. Elephants require only 3 hours of sleep while rats and cats can spend up to 18 hours in sleep. It is postulated that this may be due to differences in metabolism. Smaller animals have higher metabolic rate and higher body and brain temperatures compared to larger animals."

"Metabolism is defined as the whole range of biochemical processes that occur within a living organism. It constitutes the two processes of anabolism (build up) and catabolism (break down). In simpler terms, metabolism is the amount of energy (calories) the body burns to maintain itself. Metabolism in general is associated with cell injury due to the release of free radicals [6]. The lower metabolic rate and brain temperature occurring during non-REM sleep seem to provide an opportunity to deal with the damage done during awake and metabolically active period. Siegel and his group from University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) have shown brain damage in sleep-deprived rats [7]. Most data available and referred to in this review deals with glucose utilization and energy expenditure."

"Sleep duration in mammals generally depends on the size of the animal [5]. Elephants require only 3 hours of sleep while rats and cats can spend up to 18 hours in sleep. It is postulated that this may be due to differences in metabolism. Smaller animals have higher metabolic rate and higher body and brain temperatures compared to larger animals."

'Require' I think is the wrong word for sleep. It would be more correct to say the animal 'requires' a certain number of hours awake. A certain number of hours to obtain food and shelter etc, all the things I mentioned in my reply #18. Elephants you mention, for example, probably need to be awake longer because it's more difficult and takes longer to obtain their food and water.

Being awake needs energy, and being awake longer than necessary means more energy - which means a struggle for more food than is necessary. Why on earth should a bag on cells needlessly expend unnecessary energy to stay awake when it doesn't have to?

Sleep is the normal state of existence.

'Require' I think is the wrong word for sleep. It would be more correct to say the animal 'requires' a certain number of hours awake. A certain number of hours to obtain food and shelter etc, all the things I mentioned in my reply #18. Elephants you mention, for example, probably need to be awake longer because it's more difficult and takes longer to obtain their food and water.

Being awake needs energy, and being awake longer than necessary means more energy - which means a struggle for more food than is necessary. Why on earth should a bag on cells needlessly expend unnecessary energy to stay awake when it doesn't have to?

Sleep is the normal state of existence.

If you are making a point I missed it. Normal is as normal does I'm not sure that awake and asleep are states that can be described as normal. In any case it seems sleep is necessary for repair functions as has always been taught.

If you are making a point I missed it. Normal is as normal does I'm not sure that awake and asleep are states that can be described as normal. In any case it seems sleep is necessary for repair functions as has always been taught.

Oh dear, getting into the minutiae of dictionary definitions. I'm not claiming to have used the absolute correct word, but I'm sure the meaning was manifest.

How else can I explain it? The cells of our bodies only organise themselves in such a way that's called 'awake' so the bag on cells we call a body can obtain food, secure shelter and reproduce. Nothing else. The state this bag of cells we call our body prefer (perhaps 'prefer' not even the write word!) is what we call sleep - as said, why on earth would they expend the extra energy needed to create the state of 'awake'. It might be sleep to our consciousness (again 'our' might not be the right word because our consciousness is just cells acting in an organised way that manifest this thing called consciousness), but it's doubtless cells working harder (again I hope 'harder' is the right word).

And by the way, I don't accept the words 'awake' or 'sleep'. But I understand the meaning with which they are used in this discussion, and therefore not creating a side discussion about definition, meaning or points being made.

"Metabolism is defined as the whole range of biochemical processes that occur within a living organism. It constitutes the two processes of anabolism (build up) and catabolism (break down). In simpler terms, metabolism is the amount of energy (calories) the body burns to maintain itself. Metabolism in general is associated with cell injury due to the release of free radicals [6]. The lower metabolic rate and brain temperature occurring during non-REM sleep seem to provide an opportunity to deal with the damage done during awake and metabolically active period. Siegel and his group from University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA) have shown brain damage in sleep-deprived rats [7]. Most data available and referred to in this review deals with glucose utilization and energy expenditure."

the metabolism produces the water,
The higher the metabolism is causing increases the water production,
Increase water is causing alkalinity increase,
according to my hypothesis , Alkaline is the cause of sleep.