Mars: Life?

Poena

It's completely possible for life to be on Mars... since all life doesn't require an atmosphere, and there may be water underground. (When I refer to life, I mean simple bacterial life, certainly not advanced life forms.)

Yeah the site I gave above has implicated the existance (or exstinct species) of advanced life forms with their "pyramids" and "reflective tubes". Ive seen no other articles about it really.

• 1 month later...

there is an unbelievable amount of flagrant BS eminating from pictures of mars. people claiming pictures of rock formations resemble faces indicate life not only need a slap but perhaps a lesson in shut-the-f***-up.

the human mind is extremely good at recognising and interpreting the features of a face. the fact that so many random rock formations resemble faces is purely because of this - would a benevolent civilastion leave a mountain in the shape of a smiley face? NO. statistacally, with the sheer area of land being photographed, it is almost certain that rock formations will resemble a recogniseable human feature every now and again. combined with shadows playing tricks, you have a large number of faces, a few aircraft hangars, algebra (yep, apparently formulae embedded in the rock), a school bus and probably an image of colonel gadaffi thrown in for good measure. hell, theres probably a map to blue beards' treasure as well.

so what does this mean? that a race of beings carved happy faces in mountains hundreds of miles across? or perhaps that sometimes rocks lie in a certain arrangement and we happen to see a pattern because were used to seeing that image of an animal/feature. well im sold, lets make the wild assumption theres intelligent life on the red planet.

My heck I already posted this reply once, and it was a good story but somehow it didn't show up--- i'll do it again, but it wont be as good.

So yesterday morning I finally got inside Area 51--- I stopped time to build my craft (it actually took a month with my superior resources(they found me FYI(an underground superpower, but thats another story))). One of the main projects there is the construction of such a face, to survive with a small host of saved Earth inhabitants after armageddon (next year). When our face rises out of the ground the face on mars will see us, it will give us all the knowledge we need to usher an age of peace for the new world. But then an evil alien race broken free from being frozen on pluto will come and take over the martian face--- they will secretly put us in bondage slowly. Once we realize this, a gigantic war will begin, at its climax a third party alien race will intervene and kill everyone---- in its own last moments as its last survor is fataly wounded by a misguided attack from Earth forces.

The evolving lifeforms on Jupiters life sustaining moon Titan (thats its name right?) will discover all this in a few million years, and hopefully will have the wisdom to not build any destruction yeilding faces.

Originally posted by NavajoEverclear

My heck I already posted this reply once, and it was a good story but somehow it didn't show up--- i'll do it again, but it wont be as good.

yes it did, but it was spam. this is a science forum not a fantasy one, so I removed it.

• 2 weeks later...

The rock structures on Mars are random. Personally i believe theres no life on the surface, or beneath Mars. By life i mean what was said before, even the most primitive type, even bacteria. It does not make sense to me that scientists would cream themselves if they discovered bacteria on Mars. It would be a breakthrough in the discovery of BACTERIA on another planet, but what is the next step? The potential of Mars as a planet that could host human life is VOID. The discovery of bacteria on mars would not foward our progress into what i think is most important to the human species, and that is interstellar travel. Inhabiting Mars could be a disaster. It's just a desolate planet, just out of reach of our precious home star. There would be no realistic point to spending more time and money than needed on finding a way to use Mars for ourselves. We can look for life there (even though we wont find it) but please, please do not have childish fantasies of inhabiting a hostile planet. Also please do not say we could live under the surface, because Humans are not meant to live in such conditions. Unfortunately, we will probably continue to spend hundreds of billions of dollars on sending probes to Mars because some scientist wants to because he has some childish fantasies in his head. We might even send astronauts to mars. Why? Just so we can say we walked on another planet because we're stupid. Would there be any relevant point of sending astronauts to Mars? No I do not think so. What the human species must do is figure out the universe and figure out interstellar travel. We MUST. I believe that we have a better chance of finding life outside of our solar system, and across the vast, dark, beautiful universe that our planet resides in.

matter - the significance of finding even the simplest lifeform on Mars would be astoundingly huge.

It would tell us:

1. About the ecology of hostile environments
  2. About the history of life in this system
  3. About the origins of life on extra terrestrial bodies
  4. That there is potential for life off Earth in a wider range of habitats than was previously thought
  5. About the relationship - if any - between ecosystems in this system

That's not information to be sniffed at, and it's well worth the expense. It's a better use of money than squandering trillions trying to find life outside the solar system when proof of concept might be on our own doorstep.

Mars is hostile now, but as our sun ages and expands we may find its climate more suited to our species if the Earth heats up. Of course, we'll still need a way to keep the atmosphere on but by that time it should be well within our means to achieve such a feat.

I'm not sure you can say that we would never live beneath the surface because we "aren't meant to". It's invalid reasoning. The entire species is not required to evolve into a subterranean organism in order for a population to voluntarily survive in caverns or chambers under another planet's crust.

Edited by Sayonara³

Originally posted by NavajoEverclear

The evolving lifeforms on Jupiters life sustaining moon Titan (thats its name right?) will discover all this in a few million years, and hopefully will have the wisdom to not build any destruction yeilding faces.

I think you may mean Europa.

Good points Sayonara but I still have to believe that Mars is sort of a waste of time. I will admit though it's exciting to know that our robots are headed there right now. It makes me think how it would look to someone observing from Mars as our robot drops from the sky and bounces around on its air bags and then transforms into the wheeled version. Its pretty cool. WE are turning into the extra terrestrial invaders. I like that.

If there was once life, do you think that if we could capture a speiciment of what is now left, and bring it back to our atmosphere if we could bring it back to life, or find a way to recreate the species?

Originally posted by M-CaTZ

If there was once life, do you think that if we could capture a speiciment of what is now left, and bring it back to our atmosphere if we could bring it back to life, or find a way to recreate the species?

We could in theory, we have the technology and the biological know-how to do so. But it's not a great plan overall. People should learn from cheap B-movies and not do stupid things like sticking their face near a pulsating alien pod, or going into a containment lab to see why the specimen canister is broken.

It's a shame the Japanese probe probably won't make it to Mars, because it was designed to acquire some very interesting info on the planet itself :-(

Originally posted by Sayonara³

We could in theory, we have the technology and the biological know-how to do so. But it's not a great plan overall. People should learn from cheap B-movies and not do stupid things like sticking their face near a pulsating alien pod, or going into a containment lab to see why the specimen canister is broken.

It's a shame the Japanese probe probably won't make it to Mars, because it was designed to acquire some very interesting info on the planet itself :-(

plus this kind of thing always happens to the Japanese too.