Evolution Books

Hello, I am a high school student starting my junior year in the fall. I will be taking AP Biology, and would like to have a somewhat better understanding of evolution before I start. I've been meaning to read up on evolution for a while, but I've been timid because I don't want to find that I've built my understanding around information that is incorrect or already outdated. I want to ask about The Greatest Show on Earth in particular, since I have already read a few chapters of it, and like the style; should I be worried because it came out in 2009? Does the six year gap matter much for people who aren't scientists? If Show is outdated, what are some newer books that would be helpful for a beginner? Thank you.

You should be ok with that book... it will set you up, and his other books. Science is an evolving subject anyway so books will always be out-of-date on some details to an extent because they take a while to get to print. As far as I know, there have been no paradigm-shifts since that book came out... time-lines are being constantly refined in the light of new knowledge, but the basic principles and mechanisms are the same.

Edited by StringJunky

Find out whether the text used is Campbell Biology. There's also Campbell Essential Biology, which briefly overviews the same material and is handy for cramming. You can get the 2009 edition "like new" at a reasonable price. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0321649540/ref=olp_page_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1436810505&sr=1-5&startIndex=30

Evolution is basically the second half of the book.

Edited by MonDie