ocean borders

Ankit Gupta

Today i got to know about "ocean borders"(which i read was -'a boundary in between indian ocean and atlantic ocean') , are they real ??

i searched about it on internet but got nothing useful .

there are some videos too on the internet that shows the boundaries (between blue and brown water) , so i think it is real , but how that can happen , why there is a boundary ?

please give some reasonable scientific explanations ..

An ocean has several characteristics that make it self contained.

One of these is ocean currents.

You can see from the picture (courtesy NASA) that the Southern Atlantic Ocean and the Northern Atlantic Ocean are effectively separate oceans in this respect.

And of course the Indian Ocean is another.

The currents circulate the water within the given ocean basin.

Note that the S Atlantic current is cold and the Indian O current is warm on opposite sides of Africa.

Further to the south lies the Southern Ocean that surrounds Antarctica and the current there is known as the circumpolar current because it goes all the way round.

post-74263-0-12404100-1436125366_thumb.jpg

Shouldn't this be in Earth Science, not Chemistry?

Note this is a simplified explanation, but a good start.

In fishing circles those boundaries are called "creases". You can see them in smooth flowing streams with big obstructions like boulders or tree trunks. You will see a static area behind the obstruction with a line of flow either side of it. The fish sit in that static area and wait for food to come past in the flow, then launch out to get it. Temperature differentials can cause them, as well.

Edited by StringJunky