Personal photos showing curvature of earth?

sunshaker

That's pretty annoying. You post a video you know isn't representative, StringJunky shows you one that is, you then claim there are no videos, and when we remind you of StringJunky's video (again), then (again) you post the same video you started with.

I think you're trolling now. And I think you're a flat-earther.

the video I showed was of a ship far in the distance under heavy magnification which did not show any drop below the horizon,

But as I said when stringjunky posted his was that was the only one I have seen showing this effect and even said it was a good video, but to me on further viewing something did not feel right with it,

I am no troll or flat earther, I expected to come on line today and find loads of pictures/videos showing a ship above/below the horizon, but other than stringjunkies I have found nothing,

I want to find these videos/pictures. Feel free to post any find.

Edited by sunshaker

on further viewing something does not feel right in the video [that String Junky posted], it feels a little photo shoppy, also unsure of the distance the ship could travel in an hour to show it that far below the horizon. perhaps it his just me looking at a sail ship with its sails still up.

but still it is the only video I could also find.

The video was time compressed in order to...well... save time. I checked the original at YouTube and there is no further info given on the ship's speed.

Yeah, this feels a bit like an aging fan asking his hero for an autograph for his teenage son because he's too embarrassed to say it's for himself.

If I was a flat Earther I would say, I am not scared to state what "I BELIEVE", I've had stranger ideas.

There is nothing wrong with asking a few questions from the point of view of a FE.

I am no troll or flat earther, I expected to come on line today and find loads of pictures/videos showing a ship above/below the horizon, but other than stringjunkies I have found nothing,

I want to find these videos/pictures. Feel free to post any find.

I expect it would take an hour at least to record a ship getting to the horizon and a bit more to disappear beyond/below it. IIRC one can see approx. 17 miles, i.e. from ground level it is ~17 miles to the horizon. I don't think many folks see the need to make such a video so I'm not surprised it's hard to find them.

The video was time compressed in order to...well... save time. I checked the original at YouTube and there is no further info given on the ship's speed.

I have sent them an email asking for more information on the video. Don't know if they will reply.

sunshaker,

In fact, you could simplify that experiment and take just one eightfoot board, with the two eyelets and shine the laser though the eyelets once the board is level, against a distant wall (50 feet away). Mark the spot on the wall where the laser hit. Measure the distance off the ground of the eyelets. Measure the distance off the ground of the mark where the laser hit. Explain why the laser hit "high" if the Earth is flat. To check your ground level take a 50 foot hose with water in and hold the ends so that you can see the water level at both ends. Mark a wall or an upright at both ends, with the water level. Measure the height of your eyelets with respect to the water level mark. Measure the height of the mark where the laser hit, in respect to the water level mark at that end.

Bet you 10 reputation points, that the laser mark will be higher off the ground, than the eyelets.

Regards, TAR

sunshaker,

In fact, you could simplify that experiment and take just one eightfoot board, with the two eyelets and shine the laser though the eyelets once the board is level, against a distant wall (50 feet away). Mark the spot on the wall where the laser hit. Measure the distance off the ground of the eyelets. Measure the distance off the ground of the mark where the laser hit. Explain why the laser hit "high" if the Earth is flat. To check your ground level take a 50 foot hose with water in and hold the ends so that you can see the water level at both ends. Mark a wall or an upright at both ends, with the water level. Measure the height of your eyelets with respect to the water level mark. Measure the height of the mark where the laser hit, in respect to the water level mark at that end.

Bet you 10 reputation points, that the laser mark will be higher off the ground, than the eyelets.

Regards, TAR

I think I would need to some how do this on a very large lake(opposite sides) or sea to get a true level,

I am 99.99% sure you are right,

Where did the sun go? :eek:

Edited by sunshaker

The Earth curves away at about 8 inches a mile, I just read. If this is true, at 50 feet, your laser mark should be around 4 60ths of and inch higher than the eyelets are, off the ground.

You can see more of a difference with a longer distance. Maybe if you have a large lake, you can set the eyelets up on one shore and use the lake surface as ground level, and shine the laser on a post sticking out of the water on the other shore. If you can manage a 1/4 mile, your laser should hit 2 inches higher off the water, than your level eyelets are.

Show that to your friend. He will no longer have any reason to think the Earth is flat. (Because it isn't)

String Junky,

But if he sets up the laser thing, and before he turns on the laser, which is 30 inches off the ground, he makes two marks on a post across the lake, one at 30 inches labeled "flat Earth" and one at 32 inches off the water labeled spheroid Earth, and had the guy measure the height of the eyelets and the level of the board and measure the eyelets and measure the marks on the post and predict which mark the laser will hit, he is going to predict the flat Earth mark. Once you turn on the laser, he's got some spots to rub off.

Regards, TAR

I was just looking again about "salar de Uyuni" a salt flat which was a lake 40,000yrs ago,

The area is so flat and extensive you cannot see the end of it. Because there is no horizon, this creates an optical illusion in photographs: there is no sense of depth. When you take a photo, if you place an object near your camera, then walk far behind it and take a picture, it looks like you're standing next to it, or on it. This gives the impression that your object is huge and you are tiny

If this salt bed is 12,000 square km roughly 3/4000km long, and the Earth is roughly 40,000km in circuference this would mean salar is 10% of the earths circumference but as NO horizon.(flat to within 1 metre at any point)

Perhaps where the flat Earth theory originated from.

even nasa uses salar http://www.boliviabella.com/uyuni.html

Another amazing fact is that NASA uses the Salar de Uyuni to calibrate satellites. The surface of the salar is so stable and unchanging, that laser beams are bounced from satellites to its surface to help scientists calculate the distance between it and the satellite. This is being used to gather information on climate change. If you're going "huh?" <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.boliviabella.com/uyuni-photo.html"href="http://www.boliviabella.com/uyuni-photo.html" "target="0"" style="color: rgb(0, 0, 238); font-family: Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 16.8999996185303px; text-align: justify;">watch this 2-minute video that explains how and why they do this.

So you are going to use orbiting satellites to suggest the Earth is not an orb???

And the earlier pictures of the salt flats you are talking about, clearly had a horizon.

When I just took the square root of 12,000 I got 109. If the salt flat was 109km long and 109km wide it would be 11,881 sq. km. 109 km is not a 10th of the circumference of the Earth.

If the thing is 100km long and you can not see the end of it, its because the Earth is roundish and the surface has dropped away from your line of sight.

Why do you figure you can not see the peaks of the Rockies from Eastern Ohio. It is pretty flat in the midwest, there is nothing blocking your view.

sunshaker,

are you sure about that 99.99 figure.

You are not sounding like you are exploring a .01 doubt. You are sounding like Phi for All has you pegged.

You will not have to wait until next week to see your friend...unless that is when you are getting the bathroom mirror repaired.

Regards, TAR

During a partial lunar eclipse we can look up and see the curved shadow of Earth on the Moon:

320px-Lunar_eclipse_oct_8_2014_Minneapol

A lunar eclipse occurs in two regions, an outer penumbral shadow where the sunlight is dimmed, and an inner umbral shadow, where much dimmer sunlight only exists by refraction through the Earth's atmosphere, leaving a red color. This can be seen in different exposures of a partial lunar eclipse, for example here with exposures of 1/80, 2/5, and 2 seconds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_eclipse

Maybe you and your friend can see it yourselves on September 28:

A total lunar eclipse will take place on September 28, 2015.

The eclipse will be visible over Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and the Americas.

240px-Lunar_eclipse_from_moon-2015Sep28.

View of Earth from Moon

The following simulation shows the approximate appearance of the Moon passing through the earth's shadow.

Animation_September_28_2015_lunar_eclips

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_2015_lunar_eclipse

During a partial lunar eclipse we can look up and see the curved shadow of Earth on the Moon:

Of course, that would be true if the Earth were a (flat) disc as well.

One question for sunshaker's "friend": why would there be this massive international conspiracy to cover-up the true shape of the Earth? And how has it been kept secret for thousands of years, with millions (possibly billions) of people in the know?

If this salt bed is 12,000 square km roughly 3/4000km long, and the Earth is roughly 40,000km in circuference this would mean salar is 10% of the earths circumference but as NO horizon.(flat to within 1 metre at any point)

How can it not have a horizon? Is it indoors?

Oh look, horizon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salar_de_Uyuni#Gallery

If a person is a flat-earther and they're an adult then changing their mind will be akin to changing a leopard's spots.

Indeed. I think sunshaker just has to accept that his "friend" has some strange, irrational ideas.

Someone on another forum joined the flat earth soc's forum and explained, using simple physics, why they were wrong. He was banned and all his posts deleted.

I know all the proof I have for a round world comes from internet/tv, which as a strong case for a round world. but I have no personal proof which I should try and get.

Have you never been in an aeroplane?

As I said "I HAVE A FLAT EARTH FRIEND" It is not me,

Of course it isn't. </patronising tone>

I am not scared to state what "I BELIEVE", I've had stranger ideas.

That is certainly true. Which is, presumably, why you are willing to entertain your "friend's" ideas, and make such a good job of defending them.

Edited by Strange

Sunshaker,

Well suppose you do have this weird friend that you are trying to reel in a little, as his conspiracy ideas are along the line of Matrix, and you have this .01 percent thought that he may be right, and you want to prove the reality of the world to yourself. You want to know for sure that you are not being fooled by some master fooler. Let's suppose that, and then look for a way to trip up the master fooler. What might he/she/it have forgotten to hide? How can we see the wires on the puppet. How can we see where he/she/it has failed to cover his/her/its tracks.

Do the experiment with the laser pointer and the eyelets. Its just you and the laser against the fooler. You can see how it really works. Nobody else is forcing the laser to hit the round earth line or the flat earth line. Its just you, and reality. The way it has been with scientists for thousands of year.

Or watch the eclipse with your friend.

Or make a model of the shape of the Earth that your friend thinks it actually is in, and see if that works out and fits the facts that you know. Like if its a disc shape, can you stand on the other side of the disc? Or if you were to throw a stone off the edge, which way should the stone go?

I wouldn't even get into what might be motivating this fooler into fooling people, or whether or not some super master fooler was fooling the fooler.

I would just do the experiment, or go to Sandy Hook NJ on a clear day and watch the ships come and go over the horizon. Or measure the pixels on any wide horizon picture, or look closely at two widely separated uprights. The master fooler has left all this evidence that the Earth is a globe. What did it forget? How can you find a place where the master fooler slipped up and let the secret of the real shape of the Earth out of the bag.

Regards, TAR

Of course, that would be true if the Earth were a (flat) disc as well.

Yes, but my view of a flat Earth is the old fashioned with a fixed Earth and an absolute up and down.

If they believe that the flat Earth is like a spinning coin orbiting the Sun and has the Moon as an orbiting companion, then they have already come very far from the old model and the final step to a spherical Earth is small.

String Junky,

But if he sets up the laser thing, and before he turns on the laser, which is 30 inches off the ground, he makes two marks on a post across the lake, one at 30 inches labeled "flat Earth" and one at 32 inches off the water labeled spheroid Earth, and had the guy measure the height of the eyelets and the level of the board and measure the eyelets and measure the marks on the post and predict which mark the laser will hit, he is going to predict the flat Earth mark. Once you turn on the laser, he's got some spots to rub off.

Regards, TAR

Nope, he just says the beam isn't straight

Edited by John Cuthber

Nope, he just says the beam isn't straight

That's true, he's not working through it in a rational way so no other model will work for him. Another phenomenon I saw that 'drew' the curvature of the Earth was a very large Earth-grazer meteorite travelling at a speed that traversed the sky in seconds.

Edited by StringJunky

John Cuthber,

Yeah, I suppose if you sit down in the chair he says his invisible friend is sitting in, to show him there is nobody already in the chair, he will just say the guy got up to go pee, just before you sat down.

But, my point was not that Sunshaker had to prove the thing to his irrational friend. My point was that Sunshaker should prove the thing to his own rational self. Does not matter what we show him, or tell him. It matters what he sees with his own eyes.

Regards, TAR

Besides, there is enough slop in the eyelet experiment to have the beam hit feet or even yards up or down on the post. If he wants to, he can easily position the laser pointer to point at the flat Earth line. If he wants. But if he is interested in really finding out which is true, he can refine the experiment and screw the eyelets in a little so the laser can only go though a tiny slit, and only hit one precise spot on the post on the other side of the lake...if he really wants to know the true, actual, real answer, to whether the surface of the lake is flat or whether it is curved.

Or perhaps the sunset is the best evidence.

Sunshaker,

Call someone you know (and trust) in another timezone. Have them tell you how many degrees the Sun is, off (above or below) the horizon, when it is half way below yours.

Last Easter I called my wife, who was at the Newark airport, from a high point next to rt. 287(about 30 miles West of Newark) (on my way back home from driving her and her cousin to Newark) to share the Easter sunrise with her. It was just starting to rise, where I was, and she said it had already risen where she was. I thought we could see it at the same time. I forgot to figure, that since she was East of me, she would see it, before me. (cause the Earth is round, and turns from West to East.)

Regards, TAR

Edited by tar

Yes, but my view of a flat Earth is the old fashioned with a fixed Earth and an absolute up and down.

If they believe that the flat Earth is like a spinning coin orbiting the Sun and has the Moon as an orbiting companion, then they have already come very far from the old model and the final step to a spherical Earth is small.

You are probably right. Although, I believe the official Flat Earth Society's model is that the Earth is accelerating through space - this is what causes gravity. (I'm not sure how they account for tides.)

But if sunshaker's "friend" thinks that this is all a conspiracy to hide the fact that we live in a simulation, then there is no evidence that can convince him: anything can be added to the simulation to make us believe the myth of the spherical Earth. Including books from the ancient world claiming that Eratosthenes measured the circumference, time zones, gravity, tides ... They are all just arbitrary parameters added to the simulation.

Like I said I have never been a flat Earther, but after looking this last few days there is some interesting evidence for the flat earth but also a spherical earth, the horizon curvature interested me, whether buildings should be tilted over the horizon which they never are..

There are all kinds of explanations concerning the sun's transit.

But I have decided it is similar to the double slit experiment, the Earth is both round/particle-flat/wave until we take any kind of measurement/observation and you get what you are looking for..

Edited by sunshaker